Low Upper Body Endurance

My primary martial art is taekwondo so I can kick, jump, and dodge for a long time without getting tired quickly in my legs.

My arms however, tire much quicker than my legs. I throw some punches here and there and I get tired. My hands start coming down and my guard slips.

Any suggestions? I’m currently do battling ropes for better upper body conditioning. 3 rounds, 30 sec on, 1 min off

More info: I’m currently doing powerlifting. I can squat 420lbs but only bench 250 (T&G) which is crap for a guy who weighs 175-180

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
My primary martial art is taekwondo so I can kick, jump, and dodge for a long time without getting tired quickly in my legs.

My arms however, tire much quicker than my legs. I throw some punches here and there and I get tired. My hands start coming down and my guard slips.

Any suggestions? I’m currently do battling ropes for better upper body conditioning. 3 rounds, 30 sec on, 1 min off

More info: I’m currently doing powerlifting. I can squat 420lbs but only bench 250 (T&G) which is crap for a guy who weighs 175-180[/quote]

From your post:

You do Taekwando, spend a lot of time training kicks/leg specific skills, and consequently have good sport specific endurance for those muscles.

Punches, which aren’t a big part of the art, you don’t do very often. Because of this, when you do do them, your arms get tired. Your solution, despite a very good template for success based on your experience building lower body endurance, is to do battling ropes, rather than finding something to punch. Mmm.

I don’t quite understand where the bench press fits into all of this. Do you think if you added 50lbs and were suddenly, presumably, a ‘good’ bench presser, you would miraculously possess the shoulder/upperbody endurance you currently lack? Do all woes cease and virgins fall from the heavens at a BP of 300lbs - the sporting Nirvana?

If you want to get good upperbody endurance, specifically for punching you need to punch. Here’s a program:

Equipment: heavybag & 16oz gloves

Program: Hit the bag - 3 mins on, one min off. Shoot for 150 punches a round. Build up to the point where you can do 12 rounds at this pace on any given day. Upper body endurance will no longer be your problem.

Note: This will not cure any technical deficiencies you may have, and will probably ingrain many that you do have. Ensure your technique is well drilled before you get too far along.

Box.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Box.[/quote]

That’s your answer to everything :wink:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

Box.[/quote]

That’s your answer to everything ;)[/quote]

hahah well it fuckin works!

[quote]batman730 wrote:

Box.[/quote]

That’s your answer to everything ;)[/quote]

hahah well it fuckin works! [/quote]

You know if you paraphrase my extremely word-y posts down to single word answers, it doesn’t make you look big or clever, everyone will just think you’re an e-bully. Don’t make me ‘bump’ your call out thread. That’s not how I want to have to start the New Year.

Good advice as always from London.

I would emphasize his point about technique though if I were you. Most likely your arms are tiring out prematurely because you are “arm punching” instead of using your whole body to efficiently generate punching power. Even though doing lots of rounds of lots of punches will indeed build endurance in your shoulders and other upper body punching muscles, nothing will make as drastic a difference in your efficiency/endurance as learning proper punching technique. Learning the technique correctly first will also result in those rounds of punches actually re-enforcing good technique and creating a virtuous cycle, rather than further ingraining poor technique this leading to a vicious cycle.