T Nation

Low Testosterone Levels (Test Results)

I always thought my natural test levels were low… well, I had a quite delayed puberty; I haven’t got much facial and chest hair, have a thin jaw, a tendency to accumulate subcutaneous fat in face… and well, some difficulty to pun on muscle mass, though it is something that I have dealt with along the years and have quite a decent development, and I won´t blame it on low test levels (it´s a mix of things, obviously).

This is not something “pathological”; no chronic illness, sexual malfunction of any kind, etc., so I never worried too much about this. It is just that, when it comes to building muscle mass, an optimal hormonal environment is desirable, and I suspect mine does not measure up.

I finally decided to have a test:

FSH 4,3 mUI/ml (1.0 - 10.0)
LH 3,9 mUI/ml (1.0 - 10.0)
TESTOSTERONA TOTAL 5,1 ng/ml ( 3.0 -11.0)
Free Test 15,4 pg/ml (9.0-47.0)

“Normal”, but quite low…

What do you think? I weight train consistently, eat a lot, have a lot of good fats, sleep 8 hours, don´t drink alcohol or use steroids so… what´s the problem and what could I do?

Thanks.

How old are you?

I´m 27.

Have you tried any natural testosterone enhancers like Alpha Male?

I tried tribulus and some other supposed test boosters (Testojack by NOW Foods among them). I can´t tell about test levels because I didn´t have a test before and after, but I can say I did not notice any change muscle wise.

The quality/concentration of the Tribulus product is key. I personally trust Biotest’s products here and I would give their TRIBEX® Tribulus Gold and/or Alpha Male a serious shot if you are serious about raising your testosterone levels (naturally).

I would take the maximum dosages of the TRIBEX product for a month and see how you feel and get retested.

I would try this route first because you are a little young for HRT which is a big step and a lifelong commitment.

I would also look at how well you are resting, eating, etc.

I´m not thinking of HRT, not for now, I´m too young as you say.

I´d like to have another test when I finish taking Novedex (by Gaspari), this one more complete, and see if there´s some estrogen imbalance there.

Rest… well, I have a very stressful job, but at this time I´ve been on holidays for month and a half. I´m sleeping well, 8 hours, and not overtraining at all (three hard but short sessions a week). I don´t feel wasted, I feel good.

I don´t know what to think, but this issue really kills my motivation; I feel that somehow the results of everything that I do in the gym and in the kitchen come slower than other people´s. Luckily, I love training.

So basically it sounds like your ignoring my advice. Good luck. I’m done here.

Based on what I’ve read about Novedex from people like Bill Roberts, I think it’s probably not what you need and may even be counter-productive in the medium to long term for you.

[quote]randman wrote:
So basically it sounds like your ignoring my advice. Good luck. I’m done here.[/quote]

That was not my intention, I was just explaining what I have done in the past and the plans I have for the moment.

I suppose I´ll be visiting a doctor with the test, maybe my problem needs something more than sports supplements to be adressed.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I can´t buy Biotest products in my country.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Based on what I’ve read about Novedex from people like Bill Roberts, I think it’s probably not what you need and may even be counter-productive in the medium to long term for you.
[/quote]

I bought it after reading an study (not by Gaspary itself, it´s in pubmed I think) with good results and no apparent sides (test levels were back to normal at the end).

I´ll try to find more evidence of this, thanks.

You should see an andrologist, a urologist with a fellowship in andrology - the male answer to an OB/GYN.

And also not take medical advice from people on message boards because - well - MDs don’t post shit on bodybuilding message boards.

I have been hypogonadal since age 22 and am just fine now because of Androgel. My total is consistently 800 to 900 ng/dL. My free T is pretty high normal too. Forgot the number from my last lab values.

Also, TRT is not something you just THINK of doing. See a qualified andrologist. You can use an endocrinologist but I feel its best to go with andrologist.

Supplements don’t treat hypogonadism.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
You should see an andrologist, a urologist with a fellowship in andrology - the male answer to an OB/GYN.

And also not take medical advice from people on message boards because - well - MDs don’t post shit on bodybuilding message boards.

I have been hypogonadal since age 22 and am just fine now because of Androgel. My total is consistently 800 to 900 ng/dL. My free T is pretty high normal too. Forgot the number from my last lab values.

Also, TRT is not something you just THINK of doing. See a qualified andrologist. You can use an endocrinologist but I feel its best to go with andrologist.

Supplements don’t treat hypogonadism. [/quote]

Gimme a break. It’s not like he’s super low and trying a natural testosterone booster is a no risk effort to see if it has any effects. If it doesn’t work, then yes, see an andrologist. If he is suffering from hypogonadism, then of course supplements won’t work. But we don’t know that yet and a natural test boost may help raise his T levels a bit.

I don’t think anyone’s giving him medical advice on here. This is a good board to post stuff like this because you do get ideas from other people and what they’ve done. Have you ever visited the 35 and older forum? This subject takes up about 50% of the posts. Lighten up.

[quote]Thot wrote:
BTW, I can´t buy Biotest products in my country.
[/quote]

We’re in the same boat :frowning:
I’d love to take Biotest supplements, but unfortunately I can’t afford the shipping costs (I’m a student). I’ve tried Bulgarian Tribulus and ZMA by Ultimate Nutrition, Axis HT by BSN and Animal Stak 2 by Universal Nutrition, they all worked well. I’m convinced that Biotest products are superior, but sometimes you have to be content with what you can get.