Low Testosterone in Bloodwork?

Can you help me understand if these numbers are bad? 30yr old man.

Serum Testosterone (total) 440ng/dl (15.2 nmol/l)

Free Testosterone 31.41 pmol/l (can’t find how to convert this to more popular units)

TSH 1.963 mu/I

Estradiol 89 pmol/l (24 pg/ml)

Those numbers are no good and labs are inadequate (no ranges), TSH isn’t a thyroid hormone so no one knows for sure how your thyroid is performing unless you check Free T4, Free T3 and Reverse T3. Obviously you doctor is underperforming by a lack of proper testing. You are lower than the average man at age 30, on average men at 30 years old score in the 600-800 ranges.

Testosterone Threshold for Increased Cardiovascular Risk in Middle-Aged and Elderly Men:

These data showed that a testosterone threshold of 440 ng/dL was associated with increased Framingham 10-year CVD risk in middle-aged and elderly men. Poor sexual performance, decreased morning erection, and loss of libido had an impact on the testosterone threshold for CVD risk. The threshold level was higher in men with sexual dysfunction. Further study is required to evaluate the validity of these testosterone thresholds for CVD risk.

Can anyone give more info on this free T result, i can’t find much on pmol/l if anyone can shed some light on it cheers.

Free Testosterone 31.41 pmol/l

(bump please)

What is the lab range?

Yes I can.

Total testosterone of 440ng/dL: Lab ranges vary by lab, low around 250 and high 850-1100. Total T of 440 for a 30 y/o is not very good.

Free testosterone of 31.41 pmol/L? Are you certain? That converts to 8.55 pg/mL, very low. Ranges (pg/mL) again vary, around 35 low to 155 high end. You want high end.

TSH of 1.963: Not bad, Range 0.4 to 4.5. Numbers closer to 1.0 better than higher. The real story is your free T3 level, secondary to that free T4 and reverse T3.

Estradiol of 24 pg/mL: Within range, which vary for 0 to 29-39, dependent upon which test is utilized.

As mentioned above, you’ll need more thorough lab work to tell the entire story.

Yes confirming this is true, so 8.55pg/ml, truly shocking, i might get it done again in a week or two to confirm.

Any good links for how to boost this naturally, lower SHBG etc.

Determine if there is a reason yours is low. Obesity, diabetes, sleep apnea, high triglycerides, hypo thyroid are possible factors, so fixing any of those will help.

Optimize thyroid, that will increase SHBG. Low fat diet, which will increase insulin sensitivity, green tea, coffee might help. Not sure if any of it will be enough to make a difference though.

LOW Fat? Why, everything I have read says to increase fats for increasing testosterone?

Increasing testosterone by getting your diet spot on will increase testosterone,but it won’t be dramatic to the point where you’ll go from low normal to high normal Free T.

You Free T suggests SHBG is about midrange or possibly higher. I have low T symptoms at 15 pg/mL.

Probably because it would increase insulin sensitivity. If obesity is the reason, or a reason, for low SHBG losing visceral fat would help.

Actually, I don’t think many have made dramatic changes, at least not enough to make a difference, with diet and supplements, though some have. Myself, I am kind of a “just take testosterone” guy.