Low Testosterone Due to Low Fat Diet?

Hello everyone,
three years ago I had lots of symptomes signaling low T. I went to the doctor and had it checked and it turns out my total T was 220 ng/dl. I didn’t start theraphy about it because I didn’t want to have to be on T for the rest of my life. Here’s my question:
Before I had my blood taken (3 years ago), I was on low fat diet with a huge calorie restriction for three weeks because of my big belly (also a symptom for low T) and as some of you may know, low fat and calorie restriction can lower your T. But can it have this huge of an impact, so that I have this much of a low T level or does it affect it only minimally?
I know some will say go have another blood test, but I’m from Germany and over here, you have to wait 3-4 months on an appointment with an endocrinologe, and I don’t want to wait that long because i have all the bad symptoms, they are even worse now.
Right now I do have the chance to get a TRT from my urologe and if I know that the diet can’t influence the T level so strongly, I might not get the TRT because my T might be sufficient already.
I wanted to get your opinions because lots of you really know their stuff.
Thanks in advance!

Up fat/caloric intake and see how you feel. Low fat diets are a bad idea, imo. You need cholesterol to make sex hormones.

If that doesn’t work well (though you should feel a difference), you have a lot of other options before going the TRT route. search around here and you’ll find some good info

Calorie restrictive diets that are high in protein can lower test. Get a full panel work up per the sticky threads after going back on a normal diet. Give it some time before you do the tests.

The Diet was 3 years ago. I am eating a normal diet since then. My symtoms are now worse than 3 years ago.

KSMan can you please help me? You are the one with the most knowledge here

Very low fat consumption can have negative effect on testosterone levels. So many other factors as well. Do not rush it with the TRT. You can get the things back to normal if you allow and help nature to do it’s work. Are you sure you don’t mess with her? How’s your lifestyle as far as stress goes? It may sound innocent question, but the answer to it is crucial for your long-term well-being, including your manhood.

I eat very healthy, i exercise, i do meditation but nothing helps. I have low sex drive, no morning wood, no motivation, very low energy levels. I tried so many things since i got the test (3 years ago) but nothing helped. But can a low fat diet have a huge impact on the t levels in only 3 weeks???
i was only 3 weeks on the diet, then i had my blood test and then i immediately stopped the diet and now i am eating very healthy since then but my syptoms got worse. Ive tested all the things i can test and every doctor says that everything is good (except the low t)

The answer is NO! What low fat diets mean in regards to T production is an eating disorder which is more long term or provokes rapid weight loss.

You need to seek treatment. Get labs done, determine how your Thyroid looks and whether you are primary or secondary. Treatment is usually TRT but if you’re secondary there can be attempts to restart endogenous Testosterone production.

Thank you very much for your answer!
I thought a low fat diet and a calorie restriction can decrease your t levels like from 660 ng/dl to 550 ng/dl. But 220 ng/dl (my bloodwork) is very low. I think to feel good you habe to have at least 400 ng/dl (sorry if i’m wrong, i’m not an expert) But my t levels are wide under the range.
I checked my thyroid to. The TSH was 2,4 and the doctor doesnt want to to the more detailed bloodwork with T4 and T3. But the Size of my thyroid is normal.
(I am very sorry for my bad english)

Your English is good! The change in T from a low fat diet are transient and even 2-3 month cuts don’t result in long term damage. If it didn’t I guess 90 percent of gym going population would have pathetic testosterone levels.

You should start investigating potential causes of hypogonadism and rule out underlying conditions that affect the testicles or pituitary. Treating the under lying cause can cause a rebound in T levels. If you don’t have any know medical conditions expect recently discovered testosterone problem, I would say it’s unlikely that you find something that can cause low T but there needs to be care in the way one handles this, we do not want to miss something easily correctable before committing to TRT for our lifetime.

If you’re secondary, meaning that your brain is not sending enough signalling hormones for the testes to produce testosterone, there are alternatives to TRT to restart the system. This must be given a fair attempt. If it fails then you have TRT as the ultimate option. If the condition is primary, that is , the testes not producing adequate testosterone despite receiving enough signalling from the brain, then our only option is TRT. One can also be mixed to varying degrees and often happens when the condition has been plaguing for long time.

I would advise labs to be done in a comprehensive way first and foremost. You will find the recommended set of labs in the stickies. Pay attention to thyroid as well. TSH range is wide and doesn’t tell anything by itself. FT4 and FT3 should be tested.

Were there other labs tested that you can post with ranges?

Please read these links posted here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • thyroid basics - check and post oral body temperatures as suggested

Are you young or old? Provide more data and medical history etc. Medications?

Do you get cold easily?
Outer eyebrows sparse?
Using iodized salt? - history
Generalized hair thinning?

Get TSH, fT3 ad fT4 labs. [please not T3, T4]

TSH should be nearer to 1.0, 2.4 is bad. Disregard the lab ranges.

Thank you for your answer!
I will do that!

What kind of other labs do you mean?

Okay, i read the links.
-age - 23
-height - 180cm
-weight - 88kg
-describe body and facial hair - lot hair on legs (since i am 13) almost no hair on upper body, no hair on back, not a lot of hair on arms, and almost no facial hair
-describe where you carry fat and how changed - till i was 17 i had no fat at all. i was very skinny guy. Since i am 18 i build a lot of belly fat. (like i am pregnant) also my face is puffy now. my arms and legs are skinny, my belly is fat and my face is puffy. It looks verry weird.
-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever - no
-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets] - very healthy. lot of greens, lean meat, good fish, no junk food
-describe training - 3-4 times weight training but with no results (i cant build muscles very very slow)
-testes ache, ever, with a fever? - no
-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed - no morning wood and errections are not strong

I am 23 years old. I do not take medications. 6 year ago i took only several antidepressants. i think i have since then the problems. i think the antidepressants ruined something in my brain.

No, i dont get cold easily.
My outer eyebrows are normal.
I dont use iodized salt. Only sometimes (when i am not at home)
No, my hair is very thick.

Okay, i will get the labs. But here in Germany i have to wait 2-3 Months to do that, thats why i cant give you the labs now.

I know it should be nearer to 1.0 but the doctor here says 2.4 is perfect (the docs here have really no clue)
I had so many doctors and they dont help me.