T Nation

Low Test But No Symptoms

I am 35 years old male. I weigh 200lb sitting at about 16% body fat with a height of 5 ft 11.

Been training on and off for ten years last couple of years got more serious .

My lifts are as follows:
Bench press : 140kg/308lb x 4
Squat : 140kg/308lb x 5
Deadlift: 200kg/440lb x5
Dumbell shoulder press 42kg x 7

I don’t really try for one rep maxes I just try to improve on number of reps for them weights.

My problem is I got blood tests done out of curiosity about 7 months ago and my level was very low At around 8ng/250nmol . I’ve been tested 3 times since to make sure it wasn’t a fluctuation and each time its come out near enough the same.

Here is my latest test results from today.

Hormones
D.H.E.A. SULPHATE 8.870 umol/L 0.44 - 13.40
FOLLICLE STIM. HORMONE 10.2 IU/L 1.50 - 12.40
LUTEINISING HORMONE 4.6 IU/L 1.70 - 8.60
TESTOSTERONE 8.36 nmol/L 7.60 - 31.40
SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 21.7 nmol/L 16.00 - 55.00
FREE ANDROGEN INDEX 38.53 Ratio 24.00 - 104.00

I feel ok in myself I am quite strong and working well in the gym. My sex drive is what I would call normal. But these low test results are worrying me. Could this low test be damaging or dangerous in the long term?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

It probably just means you are sensitive to androgens to a point where even though you are technically low, your body hasn’t noticed yet. Your LH isn’t low but midrange, FSH is also great, DHEA-S is also midrange. This is one example why it’s a good idea to get these labs in your early 20’s, to get a baseline so that if you start experience symptoms you’ll know where you were originally when you were in your prime.

Consider these labs better late than never as you have no symptoms and if you do at a later date you’ll know where you were when you had no symptoms, I wish I knew where my sweet spot was when I was in my prime. I’m still searching for the sweet spot 8 months into TRT and I’m close. I have a feeling it’s going to be in the 500-600 ranges.

If you know your Albumin levels you can get more precise free T numbers using an SHBG calculator, an average albumin was used in calculating your FT.

Your free T comes out to 0.292 nmol/dL = 3.48 %
Bioavailable 6.84 nmol/dL = 81.7 %

Thanks for the reply.

Are the levels of free test and bio test you have give me at a good level?

2-3 percent is considered normal, your above that level.

Percentage is right but the amount 0.293nmol of free test is low even for an elderly man. So confusing.

Would trt be of benefit to me?

If you are not exhibiting symptoms I wouldn’t hop on TRT. Its for life. Its a pain in the rear, sometimes literally. There are side effects and sometimes it takes a long time to get balanced. I would wait until you are older and/or feel symptoms.