Low Test, Advice

Recently, I had gotten my test results back. I had posted this on the bb.com forums but these topics are not usually allowed, so I was directed to this site. I was told the people here were more knowledgeable when it comes to this.

Height:5’7
Waist:31.5
Weight:146lbs
Facial/Body hair:good amount of leg hair,barely any hair on arms. Little amount of facial hair.
Way I carry bodyfat: I carry it much like women. Most of it is in my upperthigh/ hip region and glutes.
Diet: Had a history of very low caloric dieting. Less than 1000 per day. Currently bulking on 2600

I always had symptoms of low test so I got it checked.

My symptoms:
trouble gaining muscle mass and strength
Fatigue
Trouble with concentration
Social Anxiety
Low confidence (I’ve read that this can be a symptom of low test)
Gyno
Trouble losing fat

My testosterone levels:Done at around 12 pm.
Total testosterone- 158 ng/dL Range only says < 1001
Free Testosterone- 21.9 Range:18.0-111.0 pg/mL

Would be appreciated if someone gave me some advice. I was planning on maybe getting an appointment with an endo as my doctors are not very helpful.

You need more labs. If you have gyno then e2 (estrodiol) is prolly taking over thus your low T scores. Some good information in the stickies. I would talk to your endo and get as many labs as you can done or pay for your own labs and test everything in the lab testing sticky. Testosterone should be measured in the morning. Did you get prolactin ,lh, fsh tested ??

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
You need more labs. If you have gyno then e2 (estrodiol) is prolly taking over thus your low T scores. Some good information in the stickies. I would talk to your endo and get as many labs as you can done or pay for your own labs and test everything in the lab testing sticky. Testosterone should be measured in the morning. Did you get prolactin ,lh, fsh tested ??[/quote]
I did get tsh, and Lh done. My LH showed 2.0 and my TSH showed a 3.99.(Not sure if it matters)
I am going to make sure I get more testing. The only problem is that my doctor is not very helpful, so I’m not sure if he would even agree to getting tests done. I will try to talk to an endo and get as many labs done. I will make sure I ask for prolactin, fsh, and thyroid tests. Thanks for the help.

I also added in some more information that may be helpful.

After reading some more, it seems that my LH is low.

You need more then that even. Would your parents be on board on helping you pay for labs? Where are you from? Why are you bulking if you are trying to lose fat? The more fat the more conversion of testosterone to estrogen. A number of problems could be contributing to what you are experiencing. At 16 years old I would be getting my parents on board to find out what exactly is going on. You do need an endo but you need one who knows his shit and actually is going to do his job. This could prove difficult. Do your research find the endo yourself based on reviews or look in the finding a trt doc sticky but don’t let your doctor send you to just anyone. You have a lot to learn and you really need to read. All of the stuff at the top of the first page is relevant !! Advice for new guys, thyroid basics, e2 and why you should care, finding a trt doc ect… Read them all. It’s a lot to take in but it’s only the beginning and some of it is very useful!! I wish you luck

[quote]Eandretta96 wrote:
After reading some more, it seems that my LH is low.[/quote]
Yes ur lh depending on your lab ranges ( which vary depending on the lab) is bottom of low normal. Much more of a story to be told them this. I produced good TT with low normal lh but my free testosterone was below normal. Everyone has a different story.

Honestly, no one should go on starvation diets and if they do certainly not under 25. You are growing!

You need more labs. From your TSH I can already tell you there is something wrong with your thyroid. Optimally TSH should close to 1. Over 2 is a problem.

Here are some labs you will need, if you don’t have already. Post everything you have.

CBC
Lipid panel
CMP
FSH/LH
E2
TT
FT
Prolactin
ACTH
Cortisol
IGF1
Vitamin D
TSH
FT3 FT4 TGAB TPO thyroid ultrasound if possible.

Do you get cold easily and/or have dry skin? Start monitoring your temps. Read the thyroid thread.

Do you eat iodized salt? or a lot of soy?

[quote]iw84aces wrote:

After reading some more, it seems that my LH is low.[/quote]
Yes ur lh depending on your lab ranges ( which vary depending on the lab) is bottom of low normal. Much more of a story to be told them this. I produced good TT with low normal lh but my free testosterone was below normal. Everyone has a different story.[/quote]

LH moves around a lot and has a short half life. FSH is the better indicator.

With that LH it would indicate his problem is probably secondary, but we need more data.

I’d recommend this vid. There is a good explanation of what happens when on starvation diets in there.

[quote]Tunapancake wrote:
Honestly, no one should go on starvation diets and if they do certainly not under 25. You are growing!

You need more labs. From your TSH I can already tell you there is something wrong with your thyroid. Optimally TSH should close to 1. Over 2 is a problem.

Here are some labs you will need, if you don’t have already. Post everything you have.

CBC
Lipid panel
CMP
FSH/LH
E2
TT
FT
Prolactin
ACTH
Cortisol
IGF1
Vitamin D
TSH
FT3 FT4 TGAB TPO thyroid ultrasound if possible.

Do you get cold easily and/or have dry skin? Start monitoring your temps. Read the thyroid thread.

Do you eat iodized salt? or a lot of soy?[/quote]No, I usually do not use iodized salt.I have very dry skin and although I don’t usually get very cold, people seem to notice that I feel cold all the time, such as when I shake someone’s hand. i will try monitoring my temperatures. I was reading about the effects of iodine on thyroid function.
I do regret going on that starvation diet. I will post what I can. I did not get many of the tests you are asking for so next time, I’ll make sure I get those.

These were not done fasted… I told the doctor if we should wait until we are fasted and he said to get it done anyways.

CMP
Glucose:82 mg/dL
Urea Nitrogen:15 mg/dL
Creatinine: 0.82 mg/dL
Sodium: 141.0 mmol/L
Potassium: 4 mmol/L
Chloride: 100 mmol/L
Carbon Dioxide: 25 mmol/L
Calcium: 9.9 mg/dL
Protein, Total: 7.0 g/dL
Albumin: 4.7 g/dL
Globulin: 2.3 g/dL
Albumin/Globulin Ratio: 2.0 calc?
Bilirubin, Total: 0.6 mg/dL
Alkaline phosphatase: 217 U/L
AST: 22 U/L
ALT: 15 U/L
SED rate mm/h
SED rate by modified wester: 2 mm/h
CBC:
White blood cell count:6.2 thousand/uL
REDBLOD CELL COUNT:4.66 million/uL
hemoglobin:13.6 g/dL
Hematocrit:41.3 %
MCV:88.7 fL
MCH:29.1 pg
MCHC:32.8 g/dL
RDW:13.6%
Platelet count: 216 thousand/uL
absolute neutrophils: 3720 cells/uL
absolute lymphocytes: 1897 cells/uL
absolute eosinophils: 50 cells/uL
absolute basophils: 31 cells/uL
LH: 2.0
TSH:3.99 mIU/L
HCG:<2 mIU/mL
Total Test: 158 ng/dL
Free test: 21.9 pg/mL
Tanner Stage: 4.5

Not sure how helpful these ^ tests would be to you guys but thanks for the help regardless.

Temperatures
4/4/13: 9am- 96.7
4/5/13: 11am- 97.1, 7pm(30 min postworkout)- 98.0
10pm- 98.2
4/6/13: 5pm- 97.6
4/8/13: 9:30pm- 97.9
4/10/13: 7:30pm- 97.6(Have not hit 98.6 once.)

[quote]Tunapancake wrote:
I’d recommend this vid. There is a good explanation of what happens when on starvation diets in there.[/quote]

I am fully aware of this. I was an idiot. I was not losing weight and I kept lowering the calories more and more. I got to a point where I was eating 1000 calories a day and burning around 600-800 doing insanity workouts.

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
You need more then that even. Would your parents be on board on helping you pay for labs? Where are you from? Why are you bulking if you are trying to lose fat? The more fat the more conversion of testosterone to estrogen. A number of problems could be contributing to what you are experiencing. At 16 years old I would be getting my parents on board to find out what exactly is going on. You do need an endo but you need one who knows his shit and actually is going to do his job. This could prove difficult. Do your research find the endo yourself based on reviews or look in the finding a trt doc sticky but don’t let your doctor send you to just anyone. You have a lot to learn and you really need to read. All of the stuff at the top of the first page is relevant !! Advice for new guys, thyroid basics, e2 and why you should care, finding a trt doc ect… Read them all. It’s a lot to take in but it’s only the beginning and some of it is very useful!! I wish you luck[/quote]I am bulking but very slowly. I went from 125lbs to 145lbs in the span of about 6-7 months. I am also talking to my dad and letting him know of all the different options because he is the type that kind of forgets and puts it off.

Oh and I have been reading the stickies btw.

Do me a favor and don’t go jumping on 50 mg of iodine before you get blood work done… Iodine is a great thing and your body needs it but find out what’s wrong as it will mess with your bloodwork. Also when you post labs you need to post the ranges and units.exp nmol/L ng/ml ng/dl

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
Do me a favor and don’t go jumping on 50 mg of iodine before you get blood work done… Iodine is a great thing and your body needs it but find out what’s wrong as it will mess with your bloodwork. Also when you post labs you need to post the ranges and units.exp nmol/L ng/ml ng/dl[/quote]
I went ahead and added the units and ranges.

I took my waking temperature and it came out to 96.7 (orally)

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
Do me a favor and don’t go jumping on 50 mg of iodine before you get blood work done… Iodine is a great thing and your body needs it but find out what’s wrong as it will mess with your bloodwork. Also when you post labs you need to post the ranges and units.exp nmol/L ng/ml ng/dl[/quote]
I went ahead and added the units and ranges.[/quote]

I don’t see ranges there only units.
keep taking temperature morning and mid after noon and keep posting them in ur thread…
also I’m not an expert and i havent dealt with thyroid problems I’m just telling you no one will be able to help without the proper details. keep all your lab work in one place and if you get new lab work make another spot and explain that its new… read the advice for new guys sticky…

[quote]iw84aces wrote:

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
I went ahead and added the units and ranges.[/quote]

I don’t see ranges there only units.
keep taking temperature morning and mid after noon and keep posting them in ur thread…
also I’m not an expert and i havent dealt with thyroid problems I’m just telling you no one will be able to help without the proper details. keep all your lab work in one place and if you get new lab work make another spot and explain that its new… read the advice for new guys sticky… [/quote]I am not sure why it didn’t add in the ranges. I will probably add in an attachment so I don’t have to type it all over again. That will make it easier. I’ll make sure I take my temperatures everyday. Woke up today with a horrible outlook on life. Now that I realize it, I get these often, I just never payed attention to it. I don’t know why I get these. Symptom? Also my gyno has been hurting lately. I’m not sure why?

Estrogen is playing a part here… poor outlook on life could be adrenal fatigue, low T high E, thyroid problems… pick your poison. seems like you have two out of the 3 and they all work together…

Temperature today:9:30 am- 96.7 degrees
2:30 p.m- 98.1 degrees