T Nation

Low T-levels

There’s probably been an article about this somewhere, sorry. My T-levels are low. I’ve actually never been tested, but I suspect that they are low. Anyway, what are natural ways to raise T/ block estrogen w/o supplements such as TRIBEX?

  1. Big lifts ( Squats, DL’s, cleans, etc )
  2. Saturated fat, along with cholestrol ( eggs, red meat, butter, etc )

If you are TRULY hypogonadal, I do not think supplements will take care of this problem for you.

I have had secondary (hypogonadotrophic) hypogonadism since age 22, have used Androgel since that age (28 now), and have a great urologist/andrologist. I take 7.5 grams of gel per day and consistently test 800 to 1000 ng/dl test when I receive my lab values once every 6 months.

What are your symptoms?
-Erectile dysfunction?
-Feeling irritated and depressed for no reason?
-Low energy?
-Not recovering from physical activity?

I say, if you are questioning this, go to your doc, get a test done and see what the real problem is. Have a test for LH and FSH too and a fertility test. This is how they found out that I was hypogonadal. My LH is somewhere around 0 point something; VERY low!

I’ll add ZMA (unless you don’t want any supplements at all), as well as regular sexual activity. And no more “Sex and the City” reruns.

You should definitely get blood work done, whether it’s just for reference or it indicates that you already have low test.

what would make you think you have low t-levels. what train of thinking are you on that would make you think that?

I’d get blood work done to confirm your t-levels. What makes you think that you’re low?

Training definitely helps, when I don’t train I get irritated, depressed, really lethargic most of the time and find it difficult to get a full hard on. Which is why the past 6 months of no training has been a pure fucking nightmare to me.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
what would make you think you have low t-levels. what train of thinking are you on that would make you think that?[/quote]

The only question in this thread that really matters.

It makes little sense to give advice until this is answered.

high fat diet as mentioned along with lots of zinc

Thanks for the advice. To answer your question, I’ve been lifting and eating alot for almost a year now. I haven’t gotten any bigger and have only gotten a litlle bit stronger. I see kids who lift and eat like shit, but keep getting bigger and stronger. I also don’t recover very quickly. (Blood tests/supplements aren’t really an option right now.)

O and by the way, (hold in the laughter) I have unusually large nipples, so I suspect there may be a hormone imbalance.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
I’ll add ZMA (unless you don’t want any supplements at all), as well as regular sexual activity. And no more “Sex and the City” reruns.

You should definitely get blood work done, whether it’s just for reference or it indicates that you already have low test. [/quote]

I just saw a similar thread, and some guy said decreasing sexual activity would raise it. Which is it? Professor X, you seem very knowlegeable, increase or decrease?

[quote]brains wrote:
Thanks for the advice. To answer your question, I’ve been lifting and eating alot for almost a year now. I haven’t gotten any bigger and have only gotten a litlle bit stronger. I see kids who lift and eat like shit, but keep getting bigger and stronger. I also don’t recover very quickly. (Blood tests/supplements aren’t really an option right now.)[/quote]

Which would indicate you don’t know how to eat, not that you have low testosterone levels.

The fact that you mentioned “kids” tells just about all I need to know.

Supplements shouldn’t even be your concern right now…AT ALL. Learning how to eat food consistently while making sure it is ENOUGH CALORIES TO GAIN WEIGHT should.

Ignore most of the “advice” you received in this thread, find a buffet and a training partner who isn’t afraid of the heavy shit.

I doubt your areolas(nipples) are the cause of a hormone imbalance…i’m not quite sure why not, but i always thought they were just a genetic trait(what isn’t?, but i digress) passed down at birth…and the way you say “i eat and lift a lot” tells me you probably don’t know how to eat or train correctly. Maybe those guys eat like shit…but they eat enough to gain weight and since they are working out, their body is basically using those calories to build muscle.

Why do you think? You have low T-Levels, I would get it checked, and if you really do have low T you would probably need more than just supplements. And by the way what is your training and diet like, more details are needed than just lifting and eating a lot. Good luck.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
brains wrote:
Thanks for the advice. To answer your question, I’ve been lifting and eating alot for almost a year now. I haven’t gotten any bigger and have only gotten a litlle bit stronger. I see kids who lift and eat like shit, but keep getting bigger and stronger. I also don’t recover very quickly. (Blood tests/supplements aren’t really an option right now.)

Which would indicate you don’t know how to eat, not that you have low testosterone levels.

The fact that you mentioned “kids” tells just about all I need to know.

Supplements shouldn’t even be your concern right now…AT ALL. Learning how to eat food consistently while making sure it is ENOUGH CALORIES TO GAIN WEIGHT should.

Ignore most of the “advice” you received in this thread, find a buffet and a training partner who isn’t afraid of the heavy shit.[/quote]

Thank you all for the advice, but I said I didn’t want to use supplements. I say “kids” because I’m one too (16), and right now I can only afford to work out at my school’s shitty weight room. I know my diet isn’t enough, but I don’t have the time or the money right now. I’m set for a summer job, so I should be able to afford it then.

But also Professor X, these other guys don’t no SHIT about training. I know a little bit, but they sit there doing bitch squats all day in between taking sips of Mountain Dew. So I thought, why are they getting stronger in a shorter amount of time when my training/nutrition is (slightly) better? I may have jumped to a conclusion a little too quickly, my bad.

[quote]brains wrote:
Professor X wrote:
brains wrote:
Thanks for the advice. To answer your question, I’ve been lifting and eating alot for almost a year now. I haven’t gotten any bigger and have only gotten a litlle bit stronger. I see kids who lift and eat like shit, but keep getting bigger and stronger. I also don’t recover very quickly. (Blood tests/supplements aren’t really an option right now.)

Which would indicate you don’t know how to eat, not that you have low testosterone levels.

The fact that you mentioned “kids” tells just about all I need to know.

Supplements shouldn’t even be your concern right now…AT ALL. Learning how to eat food consistently while making sure it is ENOUGH CALORIES TO GAIN WEIGHT should.

Ignore most of the “advice” you received in this thread, find a buffet and a training partner who isn’t afraid of the heavy shit.

Thank you all for the advice, but I said I didn’t want to use supplements. I say “kids” because I’m one too (16), and right now I can only afford to work out at my school’s shitty weight room. I know my diet isn’t enough, but I don’t have the time or the money right now. I’m set for a summer job, so I should be able to afford it then.

But also Professor X, these other guys don’t no SHIT about training. I know a little bit, but they sit there doing bitch squats all day in between taking sips of Mountain Dew. So I thought, why are they getting stronger in a shorter amount of time when my training/nutrition is (slightly) better? I may have jumped to a conclusion a little too quickly, my bad.
[/quote]

Kid, I already knew you were a teenager. That is WHY I wrote what I did. What you don’t get is that at your age, your “t levels” are the highest they will ever be in your life time. It also means your metabolism is higher than it will ever be which means if you aren’t gaining weight YOU STILL AREN’T EATING ENOUGH. It doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing. They are obviously eating enough to gain weight while you aren’t.

You are mocking them for drinking a soda and doing “bitch squats?” when the truth is, you shouldn’t be approaching this as if you need to be eating chicken breasts and rice in order to grow at your age and they are at least training their legs AT ALL.

Your profile lists you as having lifted for half a year. Why do you think you have ANYTHING figured out at 16 years of age with less than a year of lifting under your belt?

Also, be careful of whose advice you take on this forum. Some of the guys trying to tell you what to do (like the ones who would skip right over WHY you think you have low testosterone) aren’t much older than you are.

Id say its more to the with the fact that he is still growing (puberty). To me it almost seems like he is trying to find a reasons to why he isn’t growing (even though he probably isn’t eating of lifting correctly.

I hate to say it but you are going to have to eat a lot and lift heavy to grow. I tried the eat supper healthy and all I did was get a little stronger but no growth. Don’t get me wrong, I still eat healthy but I throw in a large pizza here and there. If I eat the lean protein, complex carbs and veggies all day I will shrink. I will have to triple everything in order to grow and it gets very expensive.