T Nation

Low T at 22

height: 6ft

waist: 30"

weight: 153lb

facial hair of a 17 year old and body hair is groin/armpits and small amount on chest and lots of grey hairs starting to show.

carry my fat round my ass, thighs and belly and chest...sort of skinny fat look. im always doughy

Symptoms: been going to the doctors for the past year to no avail because of weight loss/fatigue/brain fog/joint pain/ excessive night sweats.

They first thought i might be hyperthyroid but labs were normal and they tested for parasites/malaria. I have also had doctors try and tell me im depressed.

Rx and OTC drugs. none never

Lab results

serum TSH 1.2 0.27-4.20mU/L

serum free T4 14.5 12-22pmol/L

serum testosterone 123.9 250-835.7

Serum LH 3.2 1.6-9.6IU/L

serum FSH 4.3 0.00-6.00IU/L

Serum prolactin 292 0.00-700mU/L

Diet: gluten free. not too much dairy.

training: aim for bjj 3x a week and lift 2x but recently i just have little motivation.

testes ache ever?
i remember they would occasionally be extremely painful for no apparent reason for a few days

morning wood is always there and never had ED(although the men on my dads side of the family never had a problem with this)

extra notes. ive always been a bit curious about potential hypogonadism as i was a late starter for puberty and hated any physical activity growing up as i just felt lethargic and slow plus weight training gets me no where.

My doctos notes say

"significantly low testosterone with inappropriately normal gonadotrophins may indicate pituitary failure."

surely if the levels are normal then its not my pituitary thats not working but my testes just cant produce enough testosterone?

“significantly low testosterone with inappropriately normal gonadotrophins may indicate pituitary failure.”

surely if the levels are normal then its not my pituitary thats not working but my testes just cant produce enough testosterone?

You are right and doc should have said “testicular failure”.

Cannot trust docs with thyroid:

• post your thyroid labs with ranges, and other labs as well
  • read the thyroid basics sticky
    – eval your thyroid function by checking your body temps, waking and mid-afternoon as per sticky
    – eval your iodine intake history from iodized salt and/or vitamins that list ioidine

Read second sticky: advice for new guys

Your T levels are deeply low. Low T is not the problem, it is a symptom. Look for things to consider in that sticky.

BTW, FSH is the better indicator of your status, not LH as LH jumps around from hour to hour.

Also need cholesterol levels… in case too low. Also check DHEA-S

Klinefelter?s [genetic testing] or a pituitary tumor [MRI] need to be considered.

So get body temps as first action as you can do this.

Thanks for the reply.

– eval your iodine intake history from iodized salt and/or vitamins that list ioidine

practically none

– eval your thyroid function by checking your body temps, waking and mid-afternoon as per sticky

my body temperatures turned out to be consistently low around 97.3

i started to supplement with 1.2mg of iodine a day. I started this 2 week. felt great until last Friday. had loads of energy and body temperature looked like it was creeping up then i crashed. Felt exhausted through the weekend and body temperature was really low 96.4. Felt a bit better during the week and morning temperatures have been stuck at 97 and have been feeling worse than before i started using iodine supplement.

I am not sure if to carry on with the iodine supplement or if to stop taking it?

All ive found conflicting information. Some people saying that its normal for this to happen after someone starts iodine replacement and another article about cases of how people are messing up their thyroid with iodine supplements.