Low Round House Kick

When doing the low round house kick to the leg, what is the correct place to aim for? Is it lower thigh above the knee or is it the side of the knee?

[quote]Fluid wrote:
When doing the low round house kick to the leg, what is the correct place to aim for? Is it lower thigh above the knee or is it the side of the knee?[/quote]

depends on what your goal is.
do you want to knock him down,if you do that would be under the knee, but thats called a sweep I guess :wink:

if you want to wear his legs out aim for the theigh area just above the knee.

I wouldnt hit the knee really,I mean yes it will hurt him to have you kick his knee but its a bony area and it will hurt you just as bad.

I typically aim for the softest parts which is generally midway between the hip and the knee,maybe as low as couple inches above the knee

Usually you will aim for the common peroneal nerve about three inches above the knee.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Usually you will aim for the common peroneal nerve about three inches above the knee. [/quote]

runs right along the side,right? between the muscles?
or is that more towards the back of the leg and im thinking of the femoral artery?

The common peroneal runs down the side. If you are wearing levis it is right under the side seam. You can find it by poking around with the tip of your thumb. All you need to do is find the edge of the quadricep where it ends so you can push down to the bone about three inches above the knee. You will know when you have found the sweet spot because the nerve will be pinched between two bones, the Femur and your thumb.

The Femoral artery runs along the inside towards the front. You can see it clearly on a ripped body builder.

The nerve that runs down the back of the leg is the sciatic nerve.

cool. Thanks man

Corey Hill says don’t aim for their kneecap.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
The common peroneal runs down the side. If you are wearing levis it is right under the side seam. You can find it by poking around with the tip of your thumb. All you need to do is find the edge of the quadricep where it ends so you can push down to the bone about three inches above the knee. You will know when you have found the sweet spot because the nerve will be pinched between two bones, the Femur and your thumb.

The Femoral artery runs along the inside towards the front. You can see it clearly on a ripped body builder.

The nerve that runs down the back of the leg is the sciatic nerve.[/quote]

Bingo. Good post Sifu.

Aiming for the actual knee joint can potentially do a lot of damage to the knee joint itself, and is generally not advised unless you’re trying to cripple your opponent. Kicking/kneeing/bumping the peroneal nerve will be enough to buckle someone’s leg and cause them pain. No need to injure your training partners.

Besides the spot that Sifu mentioned, you can also access the common peroneal nerve up higher on the outside of the thigh (about 3 inches down from the hip joint). I prefer to use that one for knees, but it’s possible to kick it as well.

One caveat with hitting the nerve high up on the thigh is it is so close to the hip joint. Obviously for self defense it’s fair game. But if you are merely working with a training partner or in a more sporting type of situation you may not want to go wailing away at it relentlessly because you can damage the hip.

The same applies for kicking down at the knee. That is a lot of side loading to be repeatedly laying into someones knee.

Plus there is also the issue of damaging the nervous system or the vascular system in the legs. I had several teachers who were Doctors and one of the things they used to tell me is all that beating on the legs will shorten your lifespan. ie In Thailand the Muay Thai fighters usually retire by age thirty and they don’t always enjoy the longest lifespans afterward.

Fought against a good Thai fighter last night and have a nice welt on my leg to show for it. From my knee up to half way up my thigh. Hope it doesn’t shorten my lifespan!

[quote]Sifu wrote:
One caveat with hitting the nerve high up on the thigh is it is so close to the hip joint. Obviously for self defense it’s fair game. But if you are merely working with a training partner or in a more sporting type of situation you may not want to go wailing away at it relentlessly because you can damage the hip.
[/quote]

Yeah, generally the lower point is the one that is targeted. Just pointing out that it can be accessed higher up (and the higher point seems to work better for knees IMO).

[quote]
The same applies for kicking down at the knee. That is a lot of side loading to be repeatedly laying into someones knee.

Plus there is also the issue of damaging the nervous system or the vascular system in the legs. I had several teachers who were Doctors and one of the things they used to tell me is all that beating on the legs will shorten your lifespan. ie In Thailand the Muay Thai fighters usually retire by age thirty and they don’t always enjoy the longest lifespans afterward. [/quote]

I always thought the shortened careers and nervous system damage had to do with the toughening practices (like kicking banana trees) that a lot of MT fighters engage in. Never thought that just taking kicks to the legs was responsible. Guess you learn something new every day.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

I always thought the shortened careers and nervous system damage had to do with the toughening practices (like kicking banana trees) that a lot of MT fighters engage in. Never thought that just taking kicks to the legs was responsible. Guess you learn something new every day.

[/quote]

Thai fighters DO NOT kick banana trees. Fighters 100 years ago used to but not any more. The shortened careers and damage come from fighting full contact very often (multiple times per day when they are young, multiple times per month as they get older) with small gloves (6 oz) and often little professional medical care.

[quote]Sifu wrote:

Plus there is also the issue of damaging the nervous system or the vascular system in the legs. I had several teachers who were Doctors and one of the things they used to tell me is all that beating on the legs will shorten your lifespan. ie In Thailand the Muay Thai fighters usually retire by age thirty and they don’t always enjoy the longest lifespans afterward. [/quote]

Fuck’s sake. Is this actually true?

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

I always thought the shortened careers and nervous system damage had to do with the toughening practices (like kicking banana trees) that a lot of MT fighters engage in. Never thought that just taking kicks to the legs was responsible. Guess you learn something new every day.

Thai fighters DO NOT kick banana trees. Fighters 100 years ago used to but not any more. The shortened careers and damage come from fighting full contact very often (multiple times per day when they are young, multiple times per month as they get older) with small gloves (6 oz) and often little professional medical care.[/quote]

I stand corrected then. Yeah, that sounds like it wouldn’t be a great recipe for longevity.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Plus there is also the issue of damaging the nervous system or the vascular system in the legs. I had several teachers who were Doctors and one of the things they used to tell me is all that beating on the legs will shorten your lifespan. ie In Thailand the Muay Thai fighters usually retire by age thirty and they don’t always enjoy the longest lifespans afterward.

Fuck’s sake. Is this actually true?[/quote]

Think about this. The legs have an extensive vascular system and nervous system. Did you honestly believe that you could repeatedly have some young stud like Jonny lay roundhouses or knees into your legs till they go numb and not suffer some permanent damage? Do you think that over years of doing this more and more damage will not accumulate?

Both the Vascular system and the Nervous system play an important role in the body. If you damage them you are going to pay a price with your health.

The Chinese acupuncturists can affect your health just by poking a couple of individual nerves with a tiny little needle. Considering that what do you think that just one of Jonny’s best roundhouses could do? You are going to be pinching a nerve fiber half the thickness of your pinky between his shin and your Femur with a tremendous amount of force. That is a trauma to the nervous system.

Look at some of the great Yang style martial artists and how young they died. Masatasu Oyama was 70 when he died. Chojun Miyagi was 65. Out of any people in the world Okinawans have the longest life span. Okinawa has a higher percentage of people over a hundred years old than anywhere else in the world. Miyagi dying at 65 is young, especially for someone who was involved in a physical activity like Karate.

Shaolin priests on the other hand regularly live to be over ninety or a hundred and are quite healthy and active. It is because they have a much more balanced practice of martial arts.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
JonnyTMT wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

I always thought the shortened careers and nervous system damage had to do with the toughening practices (like kicking banana trees) that a lot of MT fighters engage in. Never thought that just taking kicks to the legs was responsible. Guess you learn something new every day.

Thai fighters DO NOT kick banana trees. Fighters 100 years ago used to but not any more. The shortened careers and damage come from fighting full contact very often (multiple times per day when they are young, multiple times per month as they get older) with small gloves (6 oz) and often little professional medical care.

I stand corrected then. Yeah, that sounds like it wouldn’t be a great recipe for longevity.[/quote]

It’s not good for trees either. I have a teacher who has killed a few.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Plus there is also the issue of damaging the nervous system or the vascular system in the legs. I had several teachers who were Doctors and one of the things they used to tell me is all that beating on the legs will shorten your lifespan. ie In Thailand the Muay Thai fighters usually retire by age thirty and they don’t always enjoy the longest lifespans afterward.

Fuck’s sake. Is this actually true?[/quote]

Sure its the kicks to the leg…

Not the hard training twice a day since they were 6 and fighting sometimes multiple times a day nearly EVERY weekend since that age. It couldn’t possibly also be a shitty diet, infested water, and nightlife. It DEFINITELY couldn’t be that most thaiboxers after retiring are pretty damn accomplished drunks. Nah it’s the kicks to the leg that shorten lifespans.

Oddly enough there’s quite a few thaiboxers who are trainers now that are in excellent shape for their age…kru rex, ajarn chai, master toddy, etc…

Nah they must be the exception to the rule!

While we’re discussing it… i’m sure it’s the punches to the arm that make Muhammed Ali’s hands shake like a cheerleaders pom pom’s.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
blazindave wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Plus there is also the issue of damaging the nervous system or the vascular system in the legs. I had several teachers who were Doctors and one of the things they used to tell me is all that beating on the legs will shorten your lifespan. ie In Thailand the Muay Thai fighters usually retire by age thirty and they don’t always enjoy the longest lifespans afterward.

Fuck’s sake. Is this actually true?

Sure its the kicks to the leg…

Not the hard training twice a day since they were 6 and fighting sometimes multiple times a day nearly EVERY weekend since that age. It couldn’t possibly also be a shitty diet, infested water, and nightlife. It DEFINITELY couldn’t be that most thaiboxers after retiring are pretty damn accomplished drunks. Nah it’s the kicks to the leg that shorten lifespans.

Oddly enough there’s quite a few thaiboxers who are trainers now that are in excellent shape for their age…kru rex, ajarn chai, master toddy, etc…

Nah they must be the exception to the rule!

While we’re discussing it… i’m sure it’s the punches to the arm that make Muhammed Ali’s hands shake like a cheerleaders pom pom’s.

[/quote]

How old are you babyboy?

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
Fought against a good Thai fighter last night and have a nice welt on my leg to show for it. From my knee up to half way up my thigh. Hope it doesn’t shorten my lifespan![/quote]

It will.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Shaolin priests on the other hand regularly live to be over ninety or a hundred and are quite healthy and active. It is because they have a much more balanced practice of martial arts. [/quote]

Don’t Shaolin priests also regularly break bo staffs and bricks over each others bodies though (head, neck, torso, arms, etc…)? It would seem that if it were only the iron body conditioning that was shortening lifespans, the monks would encounter the same issues.