Low Pulls, High Pulls, and Explosiveness

Hello all,

I’m trying to master, as best I can, the SGHP for the explosive and aesthetic benefits CT describes and advocates. I find that I have a hard time shrugging the weight after the launch, which decreases the amount of force I can create. So, last time I did a couple of light sets of what became a clean-grip Low Pull. My main intention was to get used to shrugging the weight after the launch, and I found my explosiveness was increasing.

I’m going to do today is ramp with the SGHP, then ramp with the Low Pull. My question is this: while I was comfortable with the clean grip Low Pull, since I’m trying to make my High Pull explode, should I instead perform Low Pulls with the Snatch grip, or is the clean grip fine?

Thank you.

I know CT generally recommends staying away from the Clean-grip Pull as people tend to pull too much with their arms and this can create bicep tendon issues. I’d had this issue myself before, so I stick with Snatch-grip.

Gotcha. Just to play devil’s advocate, though, what if I were to simply perform a pull using the clean-grip, and at the top of the second pull instead of using the arms at all I just shrug? So while the bar won’t travel to the adequate height for the lift, I’d still be working on the movement of launch shrug, which is something that my body just doesn’t want to do without really thinking about it.

CT will probably chime in with some better advice, but maybe try the Olympic Deadlift.

http://www.T-Nation.com/training/olympic-deadlift

Well, I tried my original idea, with the continuos ramp method (3RM to SGHP, switching to Clean grip low pull). It was a disaster because I now know I can’t do the low pull at all. A large bruise/blood clot formed on my left mid thigh because for some reason I just couldn’t launch without bumping the bar. I think next time I’ll do the low pull with the snatch grip, if I decide to do it at all. Might just stick to what I’ve been doing for the past couple of months.

[quote]MikeMezz wrote:
Well, I tried my original idea, with the continuos ramp method (3RM to SGHP, switching to Clean grip low pull). It was a disaster because I now know I can’t do the low pull at all. A large bruise/blood clot formed on my left mid thigh because for some reason I just couldn’t launch without bumping the bar. I think next time I’ll do the low pull with the snatch grip, if I decide to do it at all. Might just stick to what I’ve been doing for the past couple of months. [/quote]

For continuous ramp I would do:

Snatch high pull
Olympic deadlift
Deadlift

That looks doable, thank you. CT, while you’re here, what about a volume/density layer for the high pull? I’ve been doing 30 total reps (doubles, triples) in about 8 minutes average with 80% of the ramp, striving to beat the time each workout, but is this too much for the high pull? I don’t want to over tax my CNS. . .

If you wouldn’t advise it after the continuous ramp you mention, could you give me some feedback as to whether it has been beneficial so far? I’ve been doing it for several weeks, and have been wondering if I should go back to doing Clusters @90%. Thanks!

Honestly it’s kinda hard to overdo high pulls due to their explosive nature. You will lose explosiveness (and thus wont be able to complete the lift properly) way before you drain the nervous system.

[quote]MikeMezz wrote:
If you wouldn’t advise it after the continuous ramp you mention, could you give me some feedback as to whether it has been beneficial so far? I’ve been doing it for several weeks, and have been wondering if I should go back to doing Clusters @90%. Thanks![/quote]

For beginners and even intermediate I prefer the density approach over clusters. Much more effective.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]MikeMezz wrote:
If you wouldn’t advise it after the continuous ramp you mention, could you give me some feedback as to whether it has been beneficial so far? I’ve been doing it for several weeks, and have been wondering if I should go back to doing Clusters @90%. Thanks![/quote]

For beginners and even intermediate I prefer the density approach over clusters. Much more effective.[/quote]

Great–thank you for the feedback! I appreciate the assistance.