- FYI I’m posting this for a good friend of mine who has been struggling with his health for some time. I offered to post this becuase he is really not doing well and needs some help. I hope that’s okay?
He has been having severe low t/thyroid symptoms for years and has seen a number of doctors over the years who from what I have heard are making things worse. Mainly due to their lack of knowledge of male hormones. At present they have him on Nebido and not monitoring or medicating for E2.
Here are his details…
Weight: 100kg (22lbs)
Body is on the “solid” side, reasonably muscular even though i dont work out
Facial hair - lots of it and it grows quickly
Carry fat around my middle, it has increased significantly in last couple of years but i put that down to too much wine/beer
Had glandular fever in my teens. Always been relatively low on energy and had long standing problems with concentration/brain fog. Would say i always had a relatively low sex drive. Have suffered several episodes of high anxiety which resulted in anti-depressants. In recent years had a tendancy to mild depression as well. Diagnosed with CFS and get exhausted by 2 hours of mental exertion (working, concentrating, talking with people). Mental fatigue is worse than actual physical fatigue, can still ski for a few hours a day. Often feel very light-headed and can become irritable easily.
Diagnosed by an endo with
- Hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism
- Borderline secondary hypothyroidism
- Post viral fatigue syndrome (Epstein Barr virus)
- Multi nodular thyroid goitre (no suspicious features)
Short synacthen test suggested abnormal adrenal function but a test of Hydrocortisone didnt make me feel any different
Had an MRI of my pituitary but it came back fine
Alcohol; yes, drink wine pretty much every day (bizzarely it gives me energy!) and occasional beer
Dont do any drugs
No hair loss
Diet is pretty good - generally high fat low carb. Lots of veg, good fats, meat/fish. Avoid wheat & gluten
Dont do any training other than walking
Testes are fine, no fever
Before taking nebido had no morning wood or night time erections now i have plenty, however fatigue plus the negative effects of anti-depressants have more of a negative effect on libido than any benefits from injections.
- Take nebido every 10/11 weeks - normal does of 1000mg/4ml
- 150mcg Thyroxine (also been suggested to try T3)
- Started testo gel approx Mar 2015 and switched to Nebido in May 2015
Started Thyroxine Jul 2015 on around 50mcg and built up to current does of 150mcg
- Dabbled with 5 mcg of T3 twice a day but didnt notice anything