Low-ish Carb Muffins

Just had a go at creating some low carb/higher protein muffins, inspired by Shugart’s Superfood recipe, except I didnt use Superfood!

Here’s how you do it.

175g Wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
175 butter
37.5g Splenda
3 Omega 3 Eggs
3 scoops protein powder
Water to get right consistency (about 1.5 cups)

Put that lot in a mixing bowl in that order, mix together until you get an obvious ‘cake mixture’ - I greased my tins with 1 cal EVOO spray, so factor that in. That mix makes about 15 muffins.

I used unflavoured protein powder from a UK company called MyProtein, its a similar blend to Metabolic Drive, but some of the macros may have to be adjusted if you go down that route. To give flavour I cut the mix in half, half got a heaped teaspoon of vanilla shake flavouring + 1 cup blueberries and the other 2 heaped tsp of cocoa powder, which if anything was a little much.

Bake for 30-35 mins @ 180c

Enjoy!

I also did the nutritional breakdown which is as follows

Per muffin

kCal - 151
CHO - 6.6
PRO - 6.1
FAT - 9g of which 2g saturates
Fibre - 1.5

If I were to do it again, which I probably will, i’d add more protein powder (75g more) and take out 50g flour, as the protein brings the consistency up, obviously that would slant the macro’s more in favour of a low carb dieter. I would also concider adding a fibre supplement like Xanthan Gum, but not sure how this would react so it’d be a test!!

Other possibilities include using some ground almond’s or even better add almond flour in place of wholemeal flour, something I didnt have access to.

They tasted pretty good, soft on the inside, little bit of a crispy top, just right!

nice carb + fat mix

Theres an excellent recipe out there… possibly on about.com or something similiar for apple flax seed muffins - VERY low carbs - pretty much all fiber!

Buggered if I can find it though. Some guy posted link in the AD thread.