T Nation

Low HR After 5/3/1 Deadlift

Last night, I was doing Jim Wendlers 5/3/1, second week, deadlifts.
This is what I performed:
Deadlift
250x3
290x3
330x10

Boring But Big
1-225x10 60second rest
2-225x10 60second rest
3-225x10 60second rest
4-225x10 60second rest
5-225x10

Good Mornings
1-95x10 4-155x10
2-115x10 5-165x10
3-135x10

W8’ed abs on GHR
5 sets of 10 reps with 10lb plate behind head

HERE’S MY SITUATION:
I begin to talk on an incine of 2.0 at 3.7mph on treadmill, the heart rate sensors said 130 and never went higher than 135.
I increased the incline to 3.0 and my HR never got higher than 137, then it dropped down to 130 within minutes. Then it went down to 128 with the same incline but at 3.8mph.
I’m just worried because my HR has never been this low before during walking on an incline on a treadmill.
Don’t worry, I wasn’t hanging on the bars of the treadmill or anything like that.
If anyone has any input of any similar experiences or otherwise, please say so here. Thank you.

LCB

Are you trying to say your conditioning improved? Most likely.

I don’t find the built-in HR monitors very accurate. I’ve had them spike high and low without me changing a thing. Hand placement can even make a difference.

5/3/1 is getting you into better cardiovascular condition. I’d call that a good thing.

I noticed something similiar after my first cycle. Before 5/3/1, I used to do intervals on an Arc trainer. 10-12 minutes would fry me on that thing. During the cycle the only cardio I did was rope jumping as prescribed in the book. At the end of the cycle the gym was having a charity event where you do a cardio exercise and reach a certain calorie level. I picked 350, and did intervals until I got to that amount.

It took about 12 minutes, and instead of gasping for air like I used to, I wasn’t even tired.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
5/3/1 is getting you into better cardiovascular condition. I’d call that a good thing.

I noticed something similiar after my first cycle. Before 5/3/1, I used to do intervals on an Arc trainer. 10-12 minutes would fry me on that thing. During the cycle the only cardio I did was rope jumping as prescribed in the book. At the end of the cycle the gym was having a charity event where you do a cardio exercise and reach a certain calorie level. I picked 350, and did intervals until I got to that amount.

It took about 12 minutes, and instead of gasping for air like I used to, I wasn’t even tired. [/quote]

Alright good. I thought something was wrong because I’m here walking quite fast on an incline and my heart rate was low. I even put my fingers on my neck and timed my beats up to 6 seconds and multiplied by 10 and it was still between 130-140. So my conditioning is getting better. I’m glad it’s nothing serious but something fucking awesome.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Are you trying to say your conditioning improved? Most likely.

I don’t find the built-in HR monitors very accurate. I’ve had them spike high and low without me changing a thing. Hand placement can even make a difference.[/quote]

Yeah, most likely it is getting better. Nice.

The built in HR monitors are kind of accuarate until, as I said in the other post, I put my fingers to my neck.
Thanks for posting, Dude. I do 'preciate it.