T Nation

Low GI/II Fruits?

Does anyone know what fruits have a low GI/II?
Or which ones are high?
THX

Dried fruits (apricots), apples, oranges, cranberries, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and grapefruit are all low. Bananas and pineapple are medium, and strawberries, watermelon, cantalope are high!!!

Are you sure grapefruit is low? I seem to recal being told by a diabetic friend that he couldn’t have those…

In general, most tropical fruits are high, and most from the north are low. There are exceptions of course.

Correction, strawberries do not have a high glycemic index. Blueberries are another fruit that is low on the GI scale and contains a plethora of antioxidants. Go to any search engine and enter “glycemic index” and you’ll see for yourself which fruits are high, medium, and low. Be careful with the Insulin index. When the original work was done in 1997, only 38 foods were tested and to my knowledge, those same 38 foods are the only ones that have an insulin index assigned to them. You cannot accurately extrapolate those data to other foods.

On some it depends how ripe they are. For bananas the more ripe the higher the GI. Most berries are very low and high in antioxidants. But I actually heard that freeze dried stuff is really high. As well as raisins and prunes…not that there are a lot of T-men prune eaters.

I did say blueberries were low didn’t I? and yes grapefruit is low! Another way to quickly verify it’s glycemic index is it’s nature as far as sour or sweetness is conserned, not an accurate way sometimes but it can help!

Grapefruit is typically quoted as having a GI of 25. That’s very low. When i was preparing for my national qualifier 4 weeks ago, i ate grapefruit and beef for all 6 meals the day befor the competition (bodybuilding). The last meal being 11pm. Believe me, i wouldnt have done that with a high glycemic food. By the way, i won the middleweight division and was 2nd in the overall.