T Nation

low GI and low glycemic foods?

wondering if any has a link or web address which has a large list of low GI and Low glycemic foods? or if anyone can list a bunch of foods?

complex carbohydrates. so anything like vegetables, fuit, oatmeal, chicken or to make the list easier whole foods. I think some fruits have high GI levels though like bananas. Oh yeah sugar beets have a high GI.

Bump!!!

Well, there’s sort of a nice easy way of thinkin’ towards carbs: fibrous and starch. Fibrous carbs have a lower caloric density than starchy. Here’s a general list of just a few:

Fibrous Carbs: Asparagus, Green Beans, Brocoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cucumbers, Green Peppers, Spinach, Squash, Zucchini

Starchy Carbs: Lima & Red beans, Corn, Oatmeal, Pasta, Peas, Popcorn, Potatoes, Yams, Sweet Potatoes, Rice, Shredded Wheat.

My suggestion would be to get a Nutrition book that contains the GI list. There are some that do. The one I have (Nutrition Facts Desk Reference) does not have a GI index - but in it's listings of foods, there is a category for "Fiber (gms)".

I hope this helps.

Check out The Gycemic Index.

Try mendosa.com/gilists.htm, I had some others but cann’t find them right now. I’ll find them and post again later. If really interested in GI, there have been several excellent books on the subject recently…do a search at Amazon.

www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

much thanks, just did some more research on the google engine and have come across a book that seems to cover my interests called “the glucose revolution,” anyone have or seen this book and how would you rate it? thanks again guys and gals…