Low Free Test

my buddy told me that the doc came back and said his total test was really high but the free was really low, what would he want to do? i suspect he is on some kind of anabolic but im not sure, anyway how does one increase free test? seems like the million dollar question thou huh? is this what occurs with the use of AAS? How is this handled when it occurs typically?

I don’t know if this should be posted here, or in the “Steroid” forum. Mods?

That aside, we need some numbers to work with. Doctors say a ton of things that don’t exactly reflect the hard data. It’s hard to comment without knowing how “low” his FT is, but I can say a few things. He should get a few more tests done if he is in fact low in the FT department. Getting Prolactin, Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin (SHBG), Estradiol (E2), and a complete Thyroid Panel would be a very good start. It couldn’t hurt to get his Ferritin (Iron), Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B-12 levels check as well, but I don’t really think the problem lies there.

Basically, it’s likely that the testosterone is binding to something else, (or put another way, something is “eating it up”) and so it isn’t available to be on-call (unbound or “Free”) to do the things we want testosterone to do.

“i suspect he is on some kind of anabolic but im not sure”

I doubt it, considering he’s getting bloodwork from his doctor. Most guys who are running a cycle wouldn’t want to alert their physician about it, but you never know. Also there’s this:

“is this what occurs with the use of AAS?”

Nope! With an abundance of extra testosterone in your system, you will have an excess of unbound, or “Free” testosterone. I can’t see him being on something, having high TT, and having low FT. Unless of course there was something going wrong with him.

“anyway how does one increase free test?”

First you have to find the cause. It could be as simple taking an estrogen blocker. Until he gets more blood-work (and gets us the numbers of these and his previous labs) it will be impossible to come up with a sure-fire game-plan.

So there you have it. That’s the best I can do until I see some labs. Hope this was remotely helpful…kinda hard to give a cut-and-dry answer to a question that has so many possible answers.