T Nation

Low Floor Press, Deconditioned?

I stopped benching a few(3-4) weeks back due to shoulder problems, my max was in the low 200s. I tried a floor press today and 165x3 was pretty freaking hard. Am I deconditioned to pressing, or is this normal?

I think a floor press is generally 80-85% of your full range max. So it sounds pretty normal to me.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
I think a floor press is generally 80-85% of your full range max. So it sounds pretty normal to me.[/quote]

You sure about that?? Seems way too low for me.

Floor press is so different from person to person its hard to tell, but I do think had you not had the few weeks off from pressing it would be higher, I wouldn’t worry about it though, I can floor press about 30 lbs more than my bench max, gotta get my leg drive working.

Floor press is so different from person to person its hard to tell, but I do think had you not had the few weeks off from pressing it would be higher, I wouldn’t worry about it though, I can floor press about 30 lbs more than my bench max, gotta get my leg drive working.

another note:
my bench was index finger on rings, floor press is pinky on rings. Would having developed the strength in a wide grip not carry over as well as I had benched the same amount of weight with that closer grip?

same here, i can do alot more but this is also on a smithmachine but im sure i could do more normally too its almost a board press with no leg drive :stuck_out_tongue: how long have you been not benching for?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
rmccart1 wrote:
I think a floor press is generally 80-85% of your full range max. So it sounds pretty normal to me.

You sure about that?? Seems way too low for me.[/quote]

Well no, I’m not sure. Actually, I think anywhere from 80% to 90% is not uncommon. Which end of the range you lean toward will of course depend on individual leverages and muscle dominance.

I recall reading Jim Wendler give the 80% estimate, which he said seemed slightly low to him, but not bad. I forget where I read that, though. Anyway, it seemed to jive with my experience too, and as always, your mileage may vary.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
another note:
my bench was index finger on rings, floor press is pinky on rings. Would having developed the strength in a wide grip not carry over as well as I had benched the same amount of weight with that closer grip?[/quote]

Grip makes a big difference with me. I find it pretty weird it being so low regardless though, most people are at least close unless they bounce on the bench press or have very good leg drive. I comfortably floor press my bench max, so maybe I’m biased?

My best close grip bench is 135kg x3

My best floor press is 135kg 3x3, 145kg x1

I reckon fresh I’d bench 140kg x3

There’s some numbers for comparison!

It’s different for everyone to a wide degree. Some people will have a floor press that has less rom than a bench, for some it’s similar to a full rom bench.

OP; you are probably a littl deconditioned, the same thing happens to me when I change my ME to floor press, fist week might be 115kg 1RM second (final) week it would be around 120 / 122.5kg

OP, are you floor pressing with your legs bent and using some leg drive, or with your legs flat on the ground?

If your knees are bent, then yeah, these numbers are a little low and you may be deconditioned. If legs are flat, they’re not so bad. In either case, just do work and bring 'em up!

I think there is a lot of factors going on here that kind of makes this question pointless. You are a) Coming off a period of inactivity b) Comparing two different exercises, one of which is new to you c) Using a new grip width. Not many concrete conclusions can be made here…

But for comparisons sake, my best floor press estimates to around a 300-305 (never taken a 1RM on it) versus my best bench of a 315. My grip is slightly narrower on the floor press.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
OP, are you floor pressing with your legs bent and using some leg drive, or with your legs flat on the ground?

If your knees are bent, then yeah, these numbers are a little low and you may be deconditioned. If legs are flat, they’re not so bad. In either case, just do work and bring 'em up! [/quote]

flat, good point.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I think there is a lot of factors going on here that kind of makes this question pointless. You are a) Coming off a period of inactivity b) Comparing two different exercises, one of which is new to you c) Using a new grip width. Not many concrete conclusions can be made here…

But for comparisons sake, my best floor press estimates to around a 300-305 (never taken a 1RM on it) versus my best bench of a 315. My grip is slightly narrower on the floor press.[/quote]

also a good point, my period of inactivity was only 3-4 weeks and I wouldn’t think it would affect me nearly as much as it did. I was also under teh impression i’d be able to floor press more then my max bench press due to the ROM, and I was pretty shocked to see I couldn’t.