Low Fat/Good Fat Tarter Sauce?

Hey, guys!

A lot of tarter sauce recipes call for mayonaise and cremes.

Then the low-fat ones tend to require things like tofu and corn starch. (Nothing real “bad” about that; but I’d like better alternatives).

Since many of us eat Cold Water Fishes (like Salmon); anyone have a good “Low Fat/Good Fat” tarter sauce recipe?

(Note: I already simply apply a lemon-pepper/parsley/lime juice “rub” that is great. I’m just looking for some variety! I’ve also looked through Dr.B’s “Gourmet…”, and there is not one there.)

Mufasa

Really I find that a simple dill, not sweet pickle relish, extra added dill, mustard, and a splenda sweetened to tatse is a great sub. for your fish from time to time.

Basic tartar sauce recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup mayonnaise
* 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
* 2 tablespoons chopped sweet pickle
* 1 tablespoon chopped drained capers
* 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley

PREPARATION:
Blend well; refrigerate and chill thoroughly. Makes about 1 1/4 cups of tartar sauce.

The key is obviously in the mayonnaise. Now, I am usually lazy enough to simply go with the “real French mayonnaise” from Trader Joe’s.

However, if you remember Ko, the guy who used to post on here all the time who was the significant other of Patricia and also a Chef out in Portland, you may also remember that he used to say making your own mayo was quite easy.

So I pulled up this recipe for healthy mayo, which should be pretty good:

Mayonnaise

Yield: 1 Serving

1 c  olive oil (or grapeseed, or walnut, or whatever)

1    omega-3 Egg

2 tb Lemon juice
       -=OR=-
  2 tb Vinegar

Salt and pepper
       Paprika

Beat egg with a rotary beater until slightly thick; add 1 teaspoon oil at a time beating well after each addition, until 1/3 cup has been added. Add a few drops lemon or vinegar.

The mixture should be quite thick and perfectly smooth. If it isn’t you added the oil too quickly or didn’t beat it enough. Continue to add the oil and acid alternately until it’s used up. Add seasonings to taste. Store covered in the refrigerator.

Wow!

THANKS, guys!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Too many recipes that I looked at had too much tofu, soy milk and starch (for thickening). I was looking for something that was not only phytochemical rich; but also had a healthy dose of “healthy” fat.

Again…

THANKS!

Mufasa

i make mayo a couple times a week, at least… it is sooooooo good. neutral oils like canola, grape seed, safflower are best. oils with lots of flavor on their own -like olive oil, corn oil- make the worst tasting mayo. try it and see.