T Nation

Low Fat Diet Help

would a diet of eating mostly carbs and protein help you burn off more fat than another diet of the same amount of protein but more fat and less carbs? i read somewhere that to get rid of fat the most efficient way would be about 55% protein 35% carbs and around 10% fat.

what insight can you give me, what would be good to diet plan/routine to help lose fat. i will be working out with free weight and some cardio about 3-5 days a week.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
would a diet of eating mostly carbs and protein help you burn off more fat than another diet of the same amount of protein but more fat and less carbs? i read somewhere that to get rid of fat the most efficient way would be about 55% protein 35% carbs and around 10% fat.

what insight can you give me, what would be good to diet plan/routine to help lose fat. i will be working out with free weight and some cardio about 3-5 days a week.[/quote]

Where did you hear that? I read something very similar from NASM.

First of all, you’ll need at least 10% more fat in your diet, preferably closer to 30%.

Make sure your carbs are complex rather than simple, and stick with things like oats, brown rice, and veggies.

but wont eating less fat help you lose fat quicker since you have a very low fat intake? and are burning extra calories.

what insight can you give me, what would be good to diet plan/routine to help lose fat. i will be working out with free weight and some cardio about 3-5 days a week.[/quote]

Sounds like piss poor info. It would depend entirely on your individual tolerance for carbohydrates. Typically, most people burn more fat by eating as few carbs as possible except for right after training. Sticking to vegetables only (as carbs) unless you just trained hard seems to work for the majority of people. People typically eat protein and fat based meals other than their post training meal.

But it’s up to you to decide how many carbs you can tolerate without gaining fat. But I’d say if you’re fat right now then you can’t tolerate very many. If you’re fat it’s likely the carbs that made you that way.

-chris

but wont eating less fat help you lose fat quicker since you have a very low fat intake? and are burning extra calories. [/quote]

This is not how physiology works.

fat is a very slowly digesting macronutrient, typically. It causes zero-little insulin response by itself. What creates adipose tissue (a gut) is insulin storing excess calories in fat. Carbs create insulin spikes which lead to build up of body fat. This is unless you alter your insulin sensitivity by training.

Control insulin, control fat gain.

Less dietary fat may cause your body to become poor at processing current body fat because the common metabolic energy pathway will be through the digestion of carbohydrates. I great reason to include healthy fats at all times.

Also you will be short of fat soluable vitamins etc. and have poor hormone production without dietary fat.

-chris

but wont eating less fat help you lose fat quicker since you have a very low fat intake? and are burning extra calories. [/quote]
Look to the left of your screen…See articles/diet programs? Get to work!..

you’ve got to get over this notion that eating fat will result in being fat. the thing with fat is that its very calorie dense. if you eat fewer calories then you use in a day you will lose weight, its as simple as that. the tricky part comes when you want to lose fat but not muscle.

personally when i want to lose fat i UP my fat intake, while simultaneously drastically reduce my carb intake.

You know I was going to comment on how fat doesn’t make you fat, and get the hell out of the 90’s, and even suggest the OP go read a bajillion articles… but it’s Sunday, it’s late, and I’m tired.

Just start here:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

Take it slow. Once you make it past this you can move on.

Dr. John Berardi is probably the best nutrition coach out there. I was going to suggest that you get his nutrition manual called “Precision Nutrition” but I think it may be a lot to absorb for a beginner, and it is pricey (but worth it for the information it holds).

In your case, I would STRONGLY suggest that you pick up his book “The Metabolism Advantage.” This book will outline how to set up an effective nutrition and exercise plan to help you achieve better health, a leaner more muscular body, and better performance in life. For ~$25, you can’t go wrong. Learn it, love it, live it.

Jeff

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
itself. What creates adipose tissue (a gut) is insulin storing excess calories in fat. Carbs create insulin spikes which lead to build up of body fat. This is unless you alter your insulin sensitivity by training.

Control insulin, control fat gain.
[/quote]

If I can just piggyback here, it’s excess calories that lead to fat gain. Insulin plays a role then by facilitating the process when you take in more calories than you need.

Cut calories (not a particular macronutrient such as fat, protein, or carbs) and you will lose weight. That’s the first step.

Then follow Chris’ advice about increasing your healthy fats and reducign carbs as well as getting them from healthier sources as mentioned above.

what percentage of portein,carbs,fat should i be eating i want to lose fat first then after i have lost a decent amount bulk up a little.