Low Estrogen but High (for Me) T

Been lurking on this site for several months mining it for information. A big thank you to everyone who posts here, an incredible resource.

Finally ran into a situation that I don’t see covered exactly in previous posts.
First a little background I’m 50 yrs. old. Was diagnosed with low T (TT=250ng/dL) earlier this year. Had one Doc put me on 1mg/day Arimidex, which I know now was a crazy thing to do. While on 1mg/day Arimidex my TT went up to 500 but my estradiol fell off the bottom end of the reference range for the lab which was 15pg/mL. As you would expect I actually felt worse than when I started.

Found a new Doc who put me on 2 pumps of Androgel 1.62%/day. After about 2 weeks I felt great, libido came back, confidence improved, focus improved, all the good stuff. This lasted about 4 days then I reverted back to feeling like crap. After 6 weeks had my labs done again. TT=281.3ng/dL range 300-1200
Free T 32.4 pg/mL range 46-224
LH<0.2 mIU/mL range 2.0-10.0
FSH<1.0 range 2.0-10.0
Estradiol <25 range 25-54

Went to another Doc who prescribed a compounded testosterone cream. I gave it a try, after 6 weeks got the following lab results:
TT=846.5ng/dL range 300-1200
Free T 111.9 pg/mL range 46-224
LH<0.2 mIU/mL range 2.0-10.0
FSH<1.0 range 2.0-10.0
Estradiol <25 range 25-54

I still feel like crap even though my numbers look much better. To complicate things a little my PCP gave me an injection of 100mg test. cyp about a month before my last labs to help tide me over until I could get an appt. with my urologist again. This did relieve my symptoms for a couple of days. Unfortunately I don’t know what my numbers were either before or recently after this injection.

When I did see my urologist he recommended that I try Clomid instead of the compounded test. cream, but this was before he had my latest lab results above. After he had the results he had one of his staff call me to say everything was fine, whatever that means. I don’t see him again until after Christmas.

Any suggestions on where I go from here? I’d love to get back to that feeling I had when I first started the Androgel or after the test. cyp. injection.

Get the lab reports.

That E2 lab test is not very good at all. Is Quest doing the labs?

No need to test LH/FSH, that is really a dump waste of someone’s money.

You cannot get more T cream? That was working well.

Using Arimidex with the T cream?

Have you read the stickies?

[quote]KSman wrote:
Get the lab reports.

That E2 lab test is not very good at all. Is Quest doing the labs?

No need to test LH/FSH, that is really a dump waste of someone’s money.

You cannot get more T cream? That was working well.

Using Arimidex with the T cream?

Have you read the stickies?[/quote]

Thanks for your response Ksman.

Yes, Quest is the Lab my Doc uses. Is there a different test I could have there that will measure to lower ranges?

I have read the stickies but what got me confused was the low Estradiol I’m consistently under 25 pg/mL which form what I’ve read would not indicate an obvious problem with Estradiol. The highest I could be would be 24 which downs’t seem to bad. Do some guys need to be lower? how low?

I can get more T cream, what really messed me up is that I saw my Doc and told him I wasn’t feeling that great, certainly a lot worse than when I first started so he just assumed that I wan’t absorbing anything before getting the actual test results. Personally I was floored when I saw the labs, my T was the highest its ever been yet I wasn’t noticing any real benefit. Had we known this I don’t think he would have offered the Clomid.

I guess my options are to continue with the Clomid to see if it gives me a better boost, or go back to the T. cream and try adding in some Ariminex.

Do you think HCG would have a benefit in terms of improving how I feel? Some guys seem to do OK without it. Other than preventing shrinking nuts and preserving fertility are there other benefits?

Quest always confuses me. Seems like you need to know your results in advance to order the right test.

You need the 4021x test from Quest for E2