Low Estrogen and Decreased Vascularity

“Estrogen administration promotes vasodilation in humans and in experimental animals, in part by stimulating prostacyclin and nitric oxide synthesis, as well as by decreasing the production of vasoconstrictor agents such as cyclooxygenase-derived products, reactive oxygen species, angiotensin II, and endothelin-1. In vitro, estrogen exerts a direct inhibitory effect on smooth muscle by activating potassium efflux and by inhibiting calcium influx.”

“Estrogen is also a vasodilator and hypotensive agent, and can induce vascular relaxation by stimulating release of endothelium-derived vasodilatory substances (e.g., nitric oxide [NO]) or by acting directly on the vascular smooth muscle (VSM). Recent evidence indicates that calcium and potassium channels in VSM cells play an important role in mediating estrogen-induced relaxation of many vascular beds, but elucidating the signal transduction mechanisms coupling estrogen receptor (ER alpha and/or ER beta) activation to generation of second messengers and effector mechanisms remains an area of intense study.”

I’ve been noticing an interesting correlation to my estrogen decreasing and also then rebounding. I’ve noticed that if I allow my estrogen to rise, my vascularity and veins become much more pronounced. On days where I take my anastrazole dose, I noticed my veins within 2 hours become far less pronounced.

I found these studies which somewhat explains as to why that is.

Has anyone else observed this themselves?

1 Like