T Nation

Low Estradiol Question

I have been trying to cut for a couple of months, and I have had almost no success. I have my low-carb diet dialed in, my cardio sessions challenging, and my weight lifting sessions intense. I am doing all of the right things, but I am not seeing results.

I have battled low estradiol ever since I’ve been taking Anastrazole. I started on 1.5mg twice a week and my estradiol came back at 0 (while my T was 1000+). I lowered my dose to .5mg twice a week and my estradiol came in at 5. I have since lowered my dose to .333mg twice a week, but I have not done any bloodwork yet.

Is it possible that my estradiol is still too low and that is keeping my weight up? I’m going to go off of my AI for a week and try taking 1/6mg twice a week and see if that helps. I’m almost tempted to come off my my AI, but I am a little scared it will make my estradiol skyrocket. I am taking a pretty high dose of T (150mg a week).

Thanks for any advice in advance…

Those are low numbers and you need E2 for optimum health, and at that level you will retain fat from what I’ve been reading. I’m guessing you are one of those AI over-reactors or whatever the term is called. How about ditch the Anastrozole and use a good zinc source as a mild AI. I use Ortho Molecular Zinc. Good stuff.

I went the other direction. Was on just zinc for a year, and saw my E2 levels rise to about 60. Went on Anastrozole 3x/week at 0.5mg doses and got it down to 21.

Try .25 eod.

[quote]blazinshotguns wrote:
Try .25 eod. [/quote]

Why? It’s pretty obvious to me that I am an over-responder to Anastrazole. I think I was actually doing .25eod when I got my bloodwork done last time, and my E2 was extremely low. I had posted that I tried .5mg twice a week, but now that I think about it I was doing .25eod.

What was it before AI?

Blood work is the easiest way to tell. Reduce your dose, test, repeat.

[quote]knobby22 wrote:
What was it before AI?[/quote]

That’s one piece of information that I wish I had. We never tested E2 until I started having an itchy chest, and we decided to start the Anastrazole before doing bloodwork because I was frustrated with it. I still have the itchy chest sometimes though (even when my E2 was very low), so I don’t think that was a symptom of high E2 as I had originally thought.

By itchy chest do you mean itchy nipples? If you mean the skin in general, what other prescription medications are you taking? Have you had any history of allergies? Had any viral infections?

[quote]C27 H40 O3 wrote:
By itchy chest do you mean itchy nipples? If you mean the skin in general, what other prescription medications are you taking? Have you had any history of allergies? Had any viral infections?[/quote]

No, my whole chest was itchy. No to all of your other questions.

My doc seemed to think it may be due to my high dose of T and not necessarily high E2 (obviously, since my E2 was so low).

I should add that I have had no trouble cutting weight in the past when not on TRT.

My opinion is to off completely from AI and see what your numbers are over a time period. I dont remember what the half life of AI is.

It should bounce back quick when discontinuing Arimidex. Half life is two days I believe. A week or two should do it.

Yes a week or two should do it. I crashed my Estradiol and it only took a week to recover…

You started off on a way too high dose of Anastrazole, and if your whole chest was itching instead of the nipples it was probably from the T and not your E2. Why not drop the AI for a little while and maybe split your T dose into two doses a week and then get tested in a couple of weeks. You may find that you don’t even need an AI.

[quote]ironman4850 wrote:
You started off on a way too high dose of Anastrazole, and if your whole chest was itching instead of the nipples it was probably from the T and not your E2. Why not drop the AI for a little while and maybe split your T dose into two doses a week and then get tested in a couple of weeks. You may find that you don’t even need an AI.[/quote]

I already split my T into 2 doses a week (.75 twice a week).

The half life of anastrozole may be 50hrs but that doesn’t mean that E2 will adjust in the same amount of time. Accumulation and metabolism of E2 will be independent of the half life of the AI. It could take weeks to reduce and weeks to accumulate.

Been off of AI for about 1.5 weeks now, and I already have the annoying, itchy feeling all over my chest. Might try lowering my T dose from 150mg/week to 140mg/week to see if that helps.

[quote]OrangeWolverine wrote:
Been off of AI for about 1.5 weeks now, and I already have the annoying, itchy feeling all over my chest. Might try lowering my T dose from 150mg/week to 140mg/week to see if that helps. [/quote] being off for a week is gonna hit you with rebound estrogen. That’s your itchy feeling.

If rebound is likely when you stop your AI how can you avoid/minimize it? Does it just take time to re-adjust or do you normally taper off?

Never heard of rebound estrogen. Can you explain that in greater detail to me?