Low Division College Football

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:

Hmm, I thought you said he was smaller. Like…60lbs smaller. If he’s a good athlete (for his size) and his strong and game-smart, it’s definitely worth a shot at playing D3.[/quote]

Sorry…prior stats were my best guess…father gave me these stats this afternoon.

I played D3 for Case Western Reserve. The level of competition in our conference was mediocre as far as D3 goes. Not as strong as Mount but not as weak as some of the other crap programs out there. I found that the level of competition was significantly increased over high school, to the point where it took 2 years to fully get comfortable with the speed of the game. The teams we played didn’t have any “warm bodies” filling spots in their rosters, for sure.

I would definitely do it over again given the chance. I wish I could go back right now.

Hey I just came from a NAIA school and to me it is a step down from big 7-5A Texas Football so I left and working on walkin on to a D2. The classes were great and the teachers were cool but I feel the football program was piss poor and it was in Kansas and everyone knows Kansas does not know anything about football especially my former head coach who seemed to be a little on the feminine side actually to feminine.

But I feel it depends on the person. o and the only reason why I didnt go to a D2 was not because of skill but because of weight i weighed 179 playing D-end because we had some sorry D-End so I had to do the damn thing but i got pretty nice stats 56 tackles 2 fumble recoveries and a blocked punt in 7 games missed three because of pulled ham and a fractured foot.

I still made those fat boys look weak. but quit the team to get my weight up and read alot about lifting and started my own program and diet thanks to the nutrition class i just finished taken but I am know at a nice 200 took about nine weeks.

I played HS football in TX too on a good team and had honors ranging to the 4A State Team as a WR.

Anyways, I got recruited by a hand full of DII - DIII schools, jucos, and University of Missouri.

I finally decided to choose between Shippensburg Univ. and Bloomsburg Univ.

I decided on Shippensburg based on the fact that I would get to start at WR as a true frosh.

That didn’t happen becasue I pulled my groin and kept coming back too early. The whole year was so screwy.

I drove myself to camp to find literally everyone and their parents there. As I was from TX, my Mom couldn’t make it and my Dad who just moved to PA had to work.

Anyways, they were surprised to see me there they said. Even though I signed a letter of intent to play with one of their coaches in my living room the previous spring.

I ended up being in my own room in a dorm that was complelty empty except for me. Every single other freshmen was in a separate dorm together. That was wierd. So I am the only person not from the NE, stuck in my own building without a TV, computer, cell phone (this was in 1997 -98). Talk about a boring camp. I would just go to practice and meetings and back to my room.

My squat (465) was on par with the upper class linemen and I was benching 300. I was running high 4.4s in the 40’s.

Anyways, to end this rambling. I moved back to TX, worked construction, moved to Austin to get some college credits and transferred to TX State or SWT. Was accpeted as a walk-on there but became inelgible via red tape and the clearing house.

Last year I tried out for AFL2 team in Houston and made it to a one on one evaluation. Tryouts started with 190 players and they took 6 players.

I only trained for about 4 weeks prior so my times were slow but I can run routes and catch any close throw.

I may attend a couple tryouts this season but I am 29.5 now so I am realizing I may need a child to live through…

As a suggestion, I would say don’t go 1700 miles away and be sure they run a system that is accomadating to your skill set. I had over 75 catches in my Sr year of HS and their leading WR at Shipp U has about 13 the year before I got there. Bad choice for me…

I didn’t play, but I can say if he really loves football go to the small school and do it. You can always go to another school, but it’s much harder to get your youth back for playing sports.

I know way too many people that said I wish I would’ve tried a little harder to play…