Low Deadlift?

I am 6’3", 205 lbs. I deadlift 145 lbs(2x15).

I started lifting 6 months ago, however I’ve only done Romandian Deadlifts for 4 weeks(HGM program phase).

I am doing the Deadlifts in the New Rules of Lifting book.

The Break-In program involves 2x15 supersets with 60 sec rest.

I am dedicated to this program, however I question my low deadlift.

Why are you doing 2x15 with deadlift? While I believe that you should do that every couple weeks for muscle endurance, you’ll make better gains using high weight, low reps (10x3, perhaps?).

I agree the DL is a MUCH better move for the 1-5 range and then every now and again go nutty and pull some reps

Phill

[quote]csuson wrote:
Why are you doing 2x15 with deadlift? While I believe that you should do that every couple weeks for muscle endurance, you’ll make better gains using high weight, low reps (10x3, perhaps?). [/quote]

That’s that NROL Break-In program recommends.

Ask Alwyn Cosgrove, I guess.

How much effort does it take you to lift that weight for 15 reps? On a scale from 1-10 with 1=no effort, and 10=“teeth-shattering-because-of-straining”?

AD

Really… you’re saying you can’t lift 155 pounds 15 times? Or have you just not tried anything more than 145?

[quote]AlphaDragon wrote:
How much effort does it take you to lift that weight for 15 reps? On a scale from 1-10 with 1=no effort, and 10=“teeth-shattering-because-of-straining”?

AD[/quote]

It takes 5 effort for the first 5 reps, then it takes 7 effort for the next 5 reps, then 8-9 effort for the final 5 reps.

[quote]SpadeK wrote:
AlphaDragon wrote:

AD

It takes 5 effort for the first 5 reps, then it takes 7 effort for the next 5 reps, then 8-9 effort for the final 5 reps.
[/quote]

Okay…

well, have you tried to add some weight to it to see if you can do more (maybe 10lbs extra)? It won’t kill you (or ruin the program) to experiment a little. :wink:

AD

Well, you gotta start somewhere.

He’s talking about RDLs, not conventional DLs.

Like yourself, I have been lifting for 7 mo. and have been using the NROL program. I started on Jan. 1. Before I started my 1RM on the DL was 260. When I set up the weights for the break-in program I started the 2x15 DL @ 155.

This seemed like too light a weight but the % of 1RM was right so I stuck with it. At the end of the break-in phase my 1RM on the DL was 285. By the end of Feb. it was 305 so the program does bring results.

My biggest difficulty is choosing the correct weight for the changing set-rep set ups. I manage the tonnage with a spread sheet. When I stick to the numbers it generates I do good, when I think I can do more than it indicates I can’t finish the workout. I’ll stick to weights I can maintain good form with and let the program bring results over time. It has so far.

[quote]Lysimacus wrote:
Like yourself, I have been lifting for 7 mo. and have been using the NROL program. I started on Jan. 1. Before I started my 1RM on the DL was 260. When I set up the weights for the break-in program I started the 2x15 DL @ 155.

This seemed like too light a weight but the % of 1RM was right so I stuck with it. At the end of the break-in phase my 1RM on the DL was 285. By the end of Feb. it was 305 so the program does bring results.

My biggest difficulty is choosing the correct weight for the changing set-rep set ups. I manage the tonnage with a spread sheet. When I stick to the numbers it generates I do good, when I think I can do more than it indicates I can’t finish the workout. I’ll stick to weights I can maintain good form with and let the program bring results over time. It has so far.[/quote]

I don’t know how long the “break in phase” was, but if you were that new and you only made 25lbs of progress, then that program didn’t work for you. When i first started, i used low reps like everyone reccommends and added over ~150 in the first 4 months.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
Lysimacus wrote:

My biggest difficulty is choosing the correct weight for the changing set-rep set ups. I manage the tonnage with a spread sheet. When I stick to the numbers it generates I do good, when I think I can do more than it indicates I can’t finish the workout. I’ll stick to weights I can maintain good form with and let the program bring results over time. It has so far.

I don’t know how long the “break in phase” was, but if you were that new and you only made 25lbs of progress, then that program didn’t work for you. When i first started, i used low reps like everyone reccommends and added over ~150 in the first 4 months.[/quote]

I think you’re an exception, not the rule though.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
evansmi wrote:
Lysimacus wrote:

I don’t know how long the “break in phase” was, but if you were that new and you only made 25lbs of progress, then that program didn’t work for you. When i first started, i used low reps like everyone reccommends and added over ~150 in the first 4 months.

I think you’re an exception, not the rule though.[/quote]

There was another thread on here, i think California law started it, where he called out people for claiming 400+ deadlifts, and many responded saying that they reached 400 within the first 6-9 months.

This guy doing romanians with 145 just isn’t pushing himself. Theres no way thats a challenge.

Why the hell are you doing 15 reps? Forget the rdl and do regulars with reps no more than 6. I do sets of 4 reps and have had good progress.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
There was another thread on here, i think California law started it, where he called out people for claiming 400+ deadlifts, and many responded saying that they reached 400 within the first 6-9 months.

This guy doing romanians with 145 just isn’t pushing himself. Theres no way thats a challenge.[/quote]

I’m still in that early development phase but I have to agree. I did my first deads about 6 weeks ago and I struggled to pull 135 in a 3x5. Yesterday I set my new PR at 265 (3x5) and I felt like I had some more in me.

4 of those 6 weeks were following NROL break-in (like the OP) where I went from 135 to about 180. Then one week where I focused only on form (95 lbs lifts)

Then I went from 180 to 265 in one day.

I think part of it was the results from the 4 weeks of NROL break-in, part of it was the recovery time when I worked on form, a big part of it was improvements in form (I read a lot of Westside, EliteFTS and T-Nation articles on form to refine my setup, stance and pull) - and part of it was deciding that I was doing deadlifts like a pussy and needed to put more weight on.

I’m not going to live forever. I don’t want to die fat and weak. I will be both if I don’t keep putting more weight on.

I’m cosigning with evansmi

The deadlift in my experience has the steepest growth curve. I went from barely getting 385 to pulling 505 since the beginning of January, I pull mostly triples and singles… It could be different for everyone but 25 pounds on the deadlift means what your doing isn’t working.

I guess for advice i would suggest next time you go to the gym, go about 25 pounds under your 1 rep max and keep doing it until you reach 25, do as many sets as needed, taking sufficient breaks as needed. And be intense with this shit! Do this for 4 weeks and get back at me.