Low-Ceiling Exercises?

I am looking to set-up my home gym in the boiler room of my basement. However, the celing isn’t high enough to allow me to do standing overhead presses with a full range of motion, which is my favorite upper body exercise. Other than that the place would be the ideal place for my training dungeon. Aside from structurallly changing my ceiling, what could I do about the standing overhead press dillema?

do them seated? i feel ya though, push presses are my favorite shoulder exercise, its just doesnt feel the same seated (and i cant use as heavy weight)

Dig a hole in the floor.

I have the same problem in my basement. If it is nice out I’ll go outside, otherwise I’m stuck sitting.

HandStand Pushups with your knees tucked?

Overhead pressing from the knees. Fold up a towel or rug and kneel down on it. You should be able to set a rack at the appropriate height, no?

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
I am looking to set-up my home gym in the boiler room of my basement. However, the celing isn’t high enough to allow me to do standing overhead presses with a full range of motion, which is my favorite upper body exercise. Other than that the place would be the ideal place for my training dungeon. Aside from structurallly changing my ceiling, what could I do about the standing overhead press dillema?[/quote]

What’s wrong with the seated press? It might not be exactly what you want to do. But if you get to some serious numbers with the seated version I bet your stannding numbers will go through the roof…or the floor as the case may be. :slight_smile:

I work out with no partner/spotter and have a power rack. In the seated press, would I be able to safely unrack and re-rack the barbell in proper position if I don’t have a spotter or someone to hand me the bar?

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
I work out with no partner/spotter and have a power rack. In the seated press, would I be able to safely unrack and re-rack the barbell in proper position if I don’t have a spotter or someone to hand me the bar?[/quote]

Only YOU know the answer to that question.

Another option…keep the standing overhead presses, but do them with the R.O.M. you’ve got. This should actually take out some of the triceps, and keep the work on the delts. Almost like a bradford press, without going behind the neck. (Or, just go with the full bradford press instead, if your shoulders can handle behind-the-neck work.)