T Nation

Low Carbs and I'm Still Gaining Fat

What’s the deal? I’m trying to bulk, and only eating about 179 grams of carbs a day (my body weight) and I’m still gaining fat. My calories range between about 3000 to 3600 a day. 3200 being the mean caloric intake.

My protein is at about 1.5 grams per lb of lean body mass. Fat ranges from 150 g to 190 g. Too much fat? Too many carbs? I’m not sure but I’m disheartened. Getting my e2 and various T levels checked to make sure it’s not hormonal. Also I was taking 10g of leucine a day, and around 3-5 g a day of cinnamon, which I no longer take. Ideas?

You’re going to gain fat on a bulk. Do you mean excessive, like… really excessive, amounts of fat?

What’s your routine look like?

Not enough NO, obviously.

heh

Are you drinking a lot of milk or taking a lot of whey protein? Dairy…especially whey protein causes a big insulin spike. Could be a cause. When insulin spikes that doesnt get locked in the cells turns to fat…Cinnamon can be used to stabilize blood sugar…

Oh yes of course! Must be because I haven’t been taking my NO! Wow what could I have been thinking!?!

My routine is actually pretty intense for a bulk.

Mon- Chest Incline 5x5/ Flat 5x5/ Flys 5x5
Abs (various)
Cardio Complex
Tues- Back Various 5x5
Forearms
Mui thai, Boxing, ground work (and hour)
Wed- Legs (3 for quad, 3 for ham) 5x5
Cardio Comples
Thur- Shoulders (various) 5x5
Calves
Mui thai, boxing, ect…
Fri- Beach muscles (5x5)
Cardio
Mui thai, ect…

is 179 really low carbs here?

You will gain fat on a bulk, since you’re creating a calorie surplus. The idea is that you cut the lard off later.
179 gr of carb is NOT low carb, and also not all carb is created equal. If you’re talking pasta it’s very different from -say- sweet potatoes.
Why’d ya stop taking cinnamon? It’s good stuff.

Besides all this; how can we tell what you consider ‘gaining fat’? Do you mean you need a trolly to ride the isles in Wallmart, or do you mean you can only see 4 of your abs? (the former being a problem, the latter being ‘as expected’)

Hi I am an idiot, BUT it seems to me that you are taking in a tad too much as carbs.
Going by the intake you described:
@ 3200 calories
179gm cho - 22%
150gm fat - 42%

IMO, for a regular low-carb plan you should not jack up carbs beyond 10%

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Oh yes of course! Must be because I haven’t been taking my NO! Wow what could I have been thinking!?!

My routine is actually pretty intense for a bulk.

Mon- Chest Incline 5x5/ Flat 5x5/ Flys 5x5
Abs (various)
Cardio Complex
Tues- Back Various 5x5
Forearms
Mui thai, Boxing, ground work (and hour)
Wed- Legs (3 for quad, 3 for ham) 5x5
Cardio Comples
Thur- Shoulders (various) 5x5
Calves
Mui thai, boxing, ect…
Fri- Beach muscles (5x5)
Cardio
Mui thai, ect…[/quote]

How about a real workout programme for us to see. How the hell do you expect us to decipher that? That program could be fucking brilliant or equally terrible. Here’s my own workout program, give me some advice:

Monday - Various squat variations, wave loading
Tuesday - Superset biceps and chest, wave loading and 4x8 straight sets
etc

See what I mean?

I will say, however, that 5x5 on everything isn’t generally a good choice. I would only do the opening compounds on something like that, and then jack up the volume for latter sets.

[quote]toocul4u wrote:
is 179 really low carbs here?[/quote]

That was my first question. Second question is what are the sources of your carbs? Breads? Pasta? Refined Flour put the pounds on me pretty quick but it was mostly junk. Changed my primary carb sources to legumes (beans) and whole grains and I saw a huge difference. Dairy is a killer for some people.

i’d say that 180g is low, hell i go down to 50-80 for 3 days of the week.

how are you measuring your “fat gain”, OP?

i was experienceing a similar problem recently & started incorporating “control days” into my week. something i read about in one of CT’s articles or threads, cant remember where exactly. I only do this if my weight gain exceeds 2 pounds per week.

i just take one day per week and eat low cals and LOW carbs<30g and do a little easy walking or casual basketball. It cuts down on the bloat you’re probably getting from the higher carb days and lets you see what progress you’re actually making underneath all the water.

been working pretty well for me so far, put on about 15lbs. in the past 2 months with only a 1% increase in BF.

How about some pics of before and current?
Measurements?

Are you gaging (sp) yourself when you have a lot of food in your stomach?

179g carbs? that sucks.I take in 400-450 most days of the week, little pudge but ehh.

IMO, I don’t think your carbs are causing fat gains. Its your overall CALORIES. carbs DO NOT equal fat gain, their calories might, but not them in particular. At 179 CHO daily, if you’re training with any sort of intensity you should be burning glycogen and making plenty of room to store those carbs in the muscle.

Also, if your gaining fat at 3,000cals/day your not training hard enough or your a smaller person and/or woman (short and/or vagina).

[quote]elusive wrote:
IMO, I don’t think your carbs are causing fat gains. Its your overall CALORIES.[/quote]

Exactly.

wat about when ur carbs are consumed, all day/jsut in the morning…

introduce carb cutoffs, say 6pm, or if ur that worried have carbs breakfast, pre and post-WO, then any other carbs - consume vegies with a protein source and some good fats.

cos the amount of excercise, even if not deciphered, still amounts to quite a bit.

oh and x2 on the carb sources

Actually I just found out I’m gaining fat and retaining water due to high estrogen levels. But to get on with the questions I’ve been asked.

1. Carbs are from clean sources ie protein shakes, milk, occasional potato, and cereal in the morning. It also comes from various foods I might consume during the day, like a burger patty, or slice of cheese. I don’t eat very much bread and almost no pasta.

2. 179 g on a BULK IS LOW. Or at least I’ve been reassured this several times. Especially since one of my good friends is taking in 300-500 carbs a day and not gaining much if any fat.

3. PR’s are going up, as well as strength. Although it is slow.

4. I just wanted to give a general exercise plan because I’m lazy and I was looking for advice on nutrition, I’ve gotten good strength and size gains from my current program in the past, although I vary it. Also since my current man titted fat assed state is due to high E, then non of this really matters.

5. WHY THE F IS MY E HIGH!!!??? I’m not taking any PH’s and haven’t for some time. I’m not on nor have i ever been on AAS.

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Actually I just found out I’m gaining fat and retaining water due to high estrogen levels. But to get on with the questions I’ve been asked.

1. WHY THE F IS MY E HIGH!!!??? I’m not taking any PH’s and haven’t for some time. I’m not on nor have i ever been on AAS. [/quote]

What did you use, how long ago, what did you do to recover?

Estrogen can be high for any number of reasons. Environmental factors, illness, or just naturally high E can all be a possible cause.

Exactly. That is very low. Which means it is your overall calories. You are either not working out hard enough or do not have the genetics to gain a lot of muscle and not gain any fat.

Once you figure out how to get your hormones back to normal reasses your how much fat you are gaining if you think your diet and training are good.

179 is not low. WHEN do you eat them? WHAT do you eat?

[quote]jCaesar88 wrote:
179 is not low. [/quote]

According to whom? Dr Atkins?

I can put down 400g of carbs at a bodyweight of 175 pounds without a problem.

It’s all relative.

Nutrient timing is overrated.