Low Carb?

Is the low carb thing officially over or is this still a sure way to lose some serious weight? I have tried the “100 percent” whole wheat thing and I just wind up eating too many carbs. They make me feel sluggish and tired. Can I actually feel more energized with less carbs and more time in the gym?
Thanks

I hope not since I eat a low carb/paleo diet. Basically I eat low carb with out milk products and my lifting has never been better and my heart disease risk factors have improved greatly.

I’ve seen blog posts by Dr Davis, a cardiologist, where he talks about his patients improving greatly, with weight loss, clear mindedness, and heart disease risk factors when wheat is removed from the diet. He likes to call a fat gut, wheat belly.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/wheat-belly.html

[quote]kennedy35 wrote:
Is the low carb thing officially over or is this still a sure way to lose some serious weight? I have tried the “100 percent” whole wheat thing and I just wind up eating too many carbs. They make me feel sluggish and tired. Can I actually feel more energized with less carbs and more time in the gym?
Thanks[/quote]

Can you please explain what the “whole wheat thing” is. This tells us absolutely nothing about the diet(s) you’ve had no success with.

Also, your post indicates you lack nutrition education AS A WHOLE. So try reading some books or articles on nutrition.

And YES, you can feel and function fine on a low carb diet. Type in “S Phinney” or “J Volek” into Pub Med for some further information.

Your post here and the other one asking us to design a diet for you leads me to assume that you’ve done zero self education or even attempted to figure this stuff out at all.

So you’re asking us to do the work.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Your post here and the other one asking us to design a diet for you leads me to assume that you’ve done zero self education or even attempted to figure this stuff out at all.

So you’re asking us to do the work. [/quote]

**I’m not asking you to do the work I was just schocked to see some articles on some doctors talking about a “wheat belly” for consuming to many whole wheat products. I meant the good carbs that I always read were labeled “100 percent whole wheat” on the packaging. I was living off whole wheat lean turkey sandwiches and whole wheat pasta with mixed results. My concern being the whole wheat belly information directly going against the healthy carb info.

Not sure of the other post you are referring to but, I’m thinking its an older one.

He backs a low carb diet somewhat yet my question was on the whole wheat info I stated earlier.

I read alot on this and quite frankly I was tired of reading older articles and was looking for some updated person to person info.

That’s all. Not lazy. Just looking for another source.

Thanks

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

So you’re asking us to do the work. [/quote]

MODOK: I’m more into 35% corn, 20% millet, 10% oat, 25% wheat, 5% barley, 5% rice sort of thing.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
MODOK: I’m more into 35% corn, 20% millet, 10% oat, 25% wheat, 5% barley, 5% rice sort of thing. [/quote]

too much grains, bra!

[quote]kennedy35 wrote:
Thanks[/quote]

About 2 weeks after I went low(er) carb I felt amazing. My energy levels were through the roof and my mood was great. The only problem I had was not getting enough calories. I think you will find once you remove most of the grains from your diet that you will feel much better.

Personally, I notice grains seem to bind up my digestion and zap my energy.

[quote]kennedy35 wrote:
Is the low carb thing officially over or is this still a sure way to lose some serious weight?
Thanks[/quote]

No, low carb diets stopped working for the general public in 2006 and for bodybuilders in 2008.

Did you download human physiology service pack 3? You need to do this immediately. Grains, dairy, and legumes are no longer compatible with the current OS.

lol.

Pulled out ALL grains and dairy with the exception of occasional protein shake/workout nutrition. Haven’t felt this good in so long!

Currently cutting on a very low 1700 calories with under 30-40g carbs usually (not including workout nutrition) and the rest from fat/protein.

Todays eating:

Morning shake:
Chocolate protein blend, hazelnuts, frozen raspberries, water… blended.
4 fish oil caps.
Green tea.
Multivitamin/mineral
Vitamin D3
Vitamin C

Lunch:
Lean steak mince, mixed vegetables (cauliflower, brocolli, carrots), chili powder for flavouring.
4 fish oil caps.
Green tea.

Workout nutrition:
Protein + carb shake (although today I was caught short so had a bar) with a lot of water… equal to 200-300 calories.

Dinner:
Lean steak mince, mixed vegetables (cauliflower, brocolli, carrots), chili powder for flavouring.
4 fish oil caps.

I’m all for low carb/paleo most of the time and more carbs around the workout period. Nothing ground breaking.

i thought the low carb thing was just getting started…

The real name name of the game is carb cycling. Going 0 carbs is stupid, but using large amounts of carbohydrate at strategic times (peri-workout, etc) is extremely beneficial.

That being said, you can manipulate your bodyweight by changing your carb intake, but ketosis isn’t all that great of a state to be in, so don’t go too low.