Low-Carb Wraps/Tortillas

Why can’t they make these things WITHOUT soy? It’s always the second or third listed ingredient and most have 4 to 7 grams of protein. This scares me. Has anyone out there found any that are not loaded with soy(and write it all over the packaging like it’s a good thing)?

Mission brand whole wheat - no soy.

I use Mission brand low carb wraps. No soy listed. I don’t buy them for the low carb or protein content as much as each little wrap has 11g of fiber.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Mission brand whole wheat - no soy. [/quote]

He beat me to it. They also taste good.

Thanks all, I’ll have to see if they have those in my neck of the woods.

Yeah, wheat gluten is usually the primary protein source - and has its pros and cons.

The fiber is a nice draw, I agree, and I still eat them at times for dinner. (Wrapping grilled/ sauteed veggies and meat is a nice change of pace.)

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1124235566523.IMG_3365.JPG

these are fresh.
look for them in the refridge section.

Try Latortillafactory.com. A huge tortilla has only 90 cals, 13 grams of fiber, and 7 net carbs. The top ingredient is oat fiber, and soy is way down the list, and probably negligible.

I loved them, but I stopped eating these, thinking it was a pick-your-poison scenario. Can someone reassure me that wheat gluten is ok, or am I correct in trying to avoid it?

I’d also like to hear more about wheat gluten. Dr. Lowery?

Ever tried wrapping your stuff in large lettuce leaves?

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Ever tried wrapping your stuff in large lettuce leaves?[/quote]

Awesome idea, Thanks!

I’m trying to stop using so many wraps for tuna or other meaty sandwiches. I’m trying to use more veggies for carbs and using lettuce is the perfect answer.

What about cabbage? I accidentally bought cabbage thinking it was lettuce and was told that it’s supposed to be cooked before eating (not to mention it’s gassier ;).

SWR~

Cabbage is a great idea too! Cooked cabbage, raw cabbage and raw lettuce all have different flavors, great for experiementing with flavors. I’m not sure about cooked versus raw cabbage and gassiness (hehe…)

For wraps, to make the vegetables more tasty, I like to mix both raw and cooked vegetables together. Try finely slicing the cabbage and stir frying it in some kind of sauce (BBQ, stir fry sauce, curry powder and seasonings, etc…) until the veggies and sauce are caramelized, then toss it into raw chopped vegetables, depending on the flavors you’re looking for. Toss in cubed chicken breast, cooked shrimp, whatever, then roll into a wrap/lettuce leaf. One good flavor is cooked carrotts tossed into raw vegetables and homemade caesar dressing/sauce…the sweetness of the carrots is a good contrast to the cold savory salad. Also, steamed broocoli is good this way too. And carmellized onions. The cooked, carmellized vegetables for me are as decadent as eating white carbs and add that kind of feeling of satisfaction to the meal.

Yeah, at 50 calories and how filling they are, those low carb tortillas made with soy flour seem like a great calorie/carb deal, but they’re bad news. I recently had a jag with them, but I have thyroid disease and they gave me funny symptoms, like fatigue and rash on my face, so they got thrown into the trash where they belong. Soy is so bad for anybody.

Good luck!!

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
chinadoll wrote:

Awesome idea, Thanks!

I’m trying to stop using so many wraps for tuna or other meaty sandwiches. I’m trying to use more veggies for carbs and using lettuce is the perfect answer.

What about cabbage? I accidentally bought cabbage thinking it was lettuce and was told that it’s supposed to be cooked before eating (not to mention it’s gassier ;). [/quote]

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
What about cabbage? I accidentally bought cabbage thinking it was lettuce and was told that it’s supposed to be cooked before eating (not to mention it’s gassier ;). [/quote]

It doesn’t have to be cooked. Although, it is usually crispier which might not let you use it as a wrap.

For the lettuce, try butter leaf (I think that is what it is called). It has a nicer color than iceberg and the leaves are bigger and a little softer. They are commonly used for asian wraps.

I usually use romaine lettuce…not the chopped bagged kind but the long stalk kind. I put my burger on one end and just fold it over till it snaps. It doesn’t have the fiber that the low CHO wraps do but then you don’t have that cardbord texture either.

Gluten is just a wheat protein that gives bread its texture. It’s not especially high quality protein (being wheat, after all) but it counts for something!

I’ve had people ask whether gluten is good or bad because in health food stores, they’d see advertising boasts of “low-carb/ high protein!” (ingredients include gluten) in some aisles and “gluten free” as a marketing push in other aisles.

The thing is that some people have “gluten-sensitive enteropathy” and cannot eat gluten (actually part of this protein) without severe consequences. The concern for anyone else, if there is one, is that low-grade gluten intolerance/ allergy is more common than once thought. And plus, it’s just not something a human is meant to consume in copious amounts.

As a rule, I usually just treat low-carb high-gluten breads as a treat rather than a staple (or crutch). Having some two or three times per week is no problem for me and even helps me get-in more veggies(e.g. stuffed tortillas).

[quote]th_underdog wrote:
I’d also like to hear more about wheat gluten. Dr. Lowery?[/quote]

Thank you, LL! I used to buy these and have recently rediscovered them…

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Ever tried wrapping your stuff in large lettuce leaves?[/quote]

Hmmm… Interesting idea, Chinadoll. I’ll talk to my girlfriend about this, see if she finds it as kinky as I do.

Bwahahaha!

[quote]Miserere wrote:
chinadoll wrote:

Hmmm… Interesting idea, Chinadoll. I’ll talk to my girlfriend about this, see if she finds it as kinky as I do.[/quote]