T Nation

Low Carb vs. Low Carb !!!

you said I can not convince you but I was not trying to, I don’t realy care if you are “convinced” or not.If you don’t understand what I mean by “as long as you get enough I don’t think it will realy matter” I don’t know what to tell you. let me make it simple, if you were to say eat three meals a day and get enough protien, carbs, fat, efa’s, vitamins, minerals, etc…and say getting the minimum =1200cals if you are trying to keep your diet at say 2500cals it doesn’t realy matter where you get the other cals from (as far as fat loss is concerned). and it also doesn’t matter (again as far as fat loss is concerned) if you took in the same cals in six meals instead of three. but I have a question for you can you tell me what are the metabolic effects of frequent feedings on the endocrine system? please Dev tell me!

Heytey, you just proved my point!

In your last responce you said: “if you were to say eat three meals a day and get enough protien, carbs, fat, efa’s, vitamins, minerals, etc…and say getting the minimum =1200cals if you are trying to keep your diet at say 2500cals it doesn’t realy matter where you get the other cals from (as far as fat loss is concerned)”

However, in your very first response you said: “for pure weight loss all that matters is cals. burn more than you take in and you loose wt.”

Once again, these two statements are worlds apart. If you don't see the difference in these two statements, I would be pretty shocked. I feel that I have thoroughly proven my point by using your own words to do so. Hey, but don't get mad at me your the one that said these things. I will say I understand what you are saying now, but at least please admit your first statement was not the same as your last one.

Secondly, I never made any type of comparison between three meals and six meals. Re-read my posts, you will see that my concerns were between ONE meal and multiple meals. Multiple meals are better at regulating blood sugar, hunger, leptin, thyroid, and cortisol. This is what I meant by multiple meals effecting the endocrine system in a positive manner. I’m sure an internet search could provide you with countless references in support of multiple meals as a more favorable choice than ONE meal. However, I never said that I had just read a study about these things, wheras you said: “the most recent study that I saw that actualy collected the waste from the subjects showed no difference in waste make up regardless of how often meals were consumned”

So again I ask you where is this study. Although I doubt it would have any relevence to body composition. But anyway, I’m game so please explain what analyzing fecal matter has to do with how multiple meals effect metabolism, weight loss, fat loss, or muscle gain. To me it seems like the only thing this would shed light on is nutrient absorption, which we were never discussing. So I just don’t see how these two things relate.

And by the way don’t get all stressed and hostile. I’m just reacting to your statements and references, I could care less how you choose to eat or workout. I’m merely pointing out the differences in your statements, because you used them to debate mine. It’s just an internet discussion board. Relax :^)

dev,
because if fecal matter is the same between 2 groups that consumed the same amount of cals but the only diff was frequency then that means matabolism was not increased by eating more frequently, if fecal matter make up is the same then that also means that the same nutrients were absorbed from the food. I don’t know how else to say it but that if the waste is the same from 2 groups that consume the same total cals but the only difference is meal frequency then frequency can have no effect on your matabolism, they are useing and burning the same amount of cals and nutrients.
the study was in the international journal on obesity 25:519-528,2001 bDrs. M.A.Taylor and J.S.Garrow from kings college in london.
they compared two (yes I know you said one) meals per day vs. six meals per day, they found NO effect on energy balance (thats energy taken in vs. energy out from exercise and matabolism)
lastly, I agree that this is just an forum and nothing is personal but please read your first post to me, you put words in my wouth, you assumend my opinion of others ,called me an MNF clone (whats that?), etc… so chill some.
I still say get enough protien, fat, and carbs but don’t get all anal about makeup or frequency and you will loose wt.