T Nation

Low Carb Smoothie?

Me and the missus have gotten hooked on these “Abs Diet” smoothies before going to the gym (blended with ice):

|Amount |Cal    |Prot   |Carb   |Fat

Fat Free Yogurt |2 cups |274 |28 |37 |1
Frozen berries |1 bag |225 |2 |50 |0
Protein Powder |1 sc |130 |24 |5 |1.5
milk 2% |1/2 cup|61 |4 |6 |3
total | |690 |58 |98 |5.5

That’s two or three servings, so I only have 1/2 of that before working out and the rest as a lunch snack. I’d like to come up with a lower carb version, though I guess that won’t happen with all of those berries. I use a bag of mixed frozen berries, usually raspberries, blueberries and maybe strawberry. I’ll sometimes add a banana as well.

Any suggestions to trim this up? Does full-fat yogurt have lower carbs? I’ll most likely just switch to Low-Carb Metabolic Drive instead but would like to do this shake once in a while.

Thanks, -jl

Formatting got messed up but you get the idea.

Yogurt and milk (except Hood Calorie Countdown milk) aren’t lowcarb at all, and berries and bananas are not really lowcarb either.

Your shake is OK but, not even counting the banana, at 33 grams of carbs each serving – not 33 grams for the whole day, but 33 grams each – just is not lowcarb at all.

An example low-carb shake mixture, providing a total amount with similar protein amount to yours, is:

Low-Carb Metabolic Drive: 3 scoops
Coconut milk: 1/4 cup
Olive oil: 1 tbsp
(Optional: Inulin powder 15 grams; this adds soluble fiber)
Water: As desired, at least 16 ounces.

Mix the Metabolic Drive and water thoroughly before adding the coconut milk and olive oil, then shake thoroughly again.

To be divided as you do into two parts, or three if wanting small portions.

Total calories = 550 (a savings of 140 cal)
Protein = 61 g (an increase of 3 g)
Fat = 30 g (pretty much entirely beneficial fats)
Carbs (excluding fiber) = 11 g (a huge reduction of 87 g.)

Percent calories from protein: 44%
Percent calories from “good fats”: 49%
Percent calories from carbs: 8%

Using Biotest Superfood or other high ORAC (a measure of antioxidant capacity) fruit-based powder product will replace or exceed the health benefits you’re getting from the berries and without all the associated sugar. Biotest Superfood can be mixed with a shake but I prefer taking it separately shaken into a small quantity of water immediately prior to drinking something else. (The same is true, for me, for any similar products as well.)

Great stuff, thanks. Why the olive oil, just to add fat calories? Or does it taste better than it sounds?

I already spent $150 at Biotest this week, but might look at Superfood when I run out of my usual daily vitamin (Centrum Performance).

(I see you’re Level 5 and are laughing at my order.)

The olive oil is there because the monounsaturated fat (MUFA) is very healthful and aids with fat loss, particularly abdominal fat loss. Olive oil is among the highest-percentage-MUFA oils one can obtain, so you get the most of the most useful component with the least of less-useful fats. Extra-virgin olive oil also has other very health-promoting components.

I have never liked olive oil but in the Metabolic Drive it tastes OK, and if the coconut milk is included the overall flavor and texture is actually really, really good while the nutritional benefits are extended yet further. A person would not guess there is olive oil.

By no means would I, or anyone I would hope, laugh that someone spends less than themselves on supplements. Perceived cost-benefit and available money are going to vary. For example, personally I’m much more impressed by someone who despite a low income provides for their family well and only chooses for themselves a jar of creatine every now and then, than someone without responsibilities who buys everything under the sun.

And fortunately, the Superfood works out cheaper than berries at the supermarket. I used to buy them, and man does that cost add up.

Thanks again.