T Nation

Low Carb Protein Bar?

Can anyone recommend a good low carb protein bar that preferably doesn’t taste like sawdust? I’m in the beginning stages of planning my diet once I start cutting. Thanks

Pure Protein Bars are good, and widely available.
They MAY have some soy, though, if you’re concerned about phytoestrogens.

I also like Balance Carb Well Bars, but they’ve only 15g of Protein. You’d need two, but they’re really low cal (100s or so).

ya, I actually used Pure Protein Bars for a while because they were cheap, but stopped because of the soy.

[quote]BigAlSwede wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good low carb protein bar that preferably doesn’t taste like sawdust? I’m in the beginning stages of planning my diet once I start cutting. Thanks [/quote]

Make your own.
Chocolate Metabolic Drive
Natural peanut-butter
Flax meal

I enjoy Myoplex CarbSense bars.

Not sure what you call low carb but the Metabolic Drive Bars inb the store here are damn good and not High carb.

Other then that??: Beef jerky

Phill

The problem with true low-carb bars like Pure Protein and Myoplex is that they are filled with crap that’s worse than carbs.

You’re better off making your own or using beef jerkey or some other more natural alternative.

[quote]BigAlSwede wrote:
ya, I actually used Pure Protein Bars for a while because they were cheap, but stopped because of the soy. [/quote]

Alright, who do I beat the tar out of first?

Pure Protein bars have 9 grams of sugar and around 25 grams of carbohydrate, depending on the flavor.

Biotest’s Metabolic Drive bars have fewer grams of sugar and about 25 total grams, depending on the flavor, and have the highest–quality protein, and no garbage ingredients, in addtion to only costing a little over a buck a bar.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Not sure what you call low carb but the Metabolic Drive Bars inb the store here are damn good and not High carb.

Other then that??: Beef jerky

Phill[/quote]

Beef jerky! and those foil pouches of Salmon and Tuna are pretty frigging good too.

I’ve never had a really low carb protein bar that wasn’t a chore to eat. Maybe they changed the ingredients on the Pure Protein bars, but last time I looked they took the sugar alcohol thing way too far. That after taste is just creepy.

Just make your own…check out Vanilla Meringue Trail Mix Bars

http://thefitcast.com/?p=65

John K. Williams is one of the authors of Precision Nutrition. There are also some excellent bar recipes in PN that taste great and keep very well.

elev8 bars… ok, so they arent low carb, but they’re awesome!

[quote]TC wrote:
BigAlSwede wrote:
ya, I actually used Pure Protein Bars for a while because they were cheap, but stopped because of the soy.

Alright, who do I beat the tar out of first?

Pure Protein bars have 9 grams of sugar and around 25 grams of carbohydrate, depending on the flavor.

Biotest’s Metabolic Drive bars have fewer grams of sugar and about 25 total grams, depending on the flavor, and have the highest–quality protein, and no garbage ingredients, in addtion to only costing a little over a buck a bar.

[/quote]

Right, when I took Pure Protein, I was gaining weight and wasn’t concerned with carbs. I simply wanted cheap protein. I’ve since switched to Biotest’s bars (which are awesome) but I am looking for something lower in carbs.

[quote]cabre wrote:
BigAlSwede wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good low carb protein bar that preferably doesn’t taste like sawdust? I’m in the beginning stages of planning my diet once I start cutting. Thanks

Make your own.
Chocolate Metabolic Drive
Natural peanut-butter
Flax meal
[/quote]

Exactly

You can play around with the ingredients too, like almond butter (or any kind of nut butter), adding nuts, etc…

i am planning on trying out my own protein bars tonight. I searched “recipe” and found some good threads. They all generally go with mixing PB with your why and then whatever else strikes your fancy.

My only concern is the heat to the protein. i thought it would breakdown the whey or are you guys talking about mixing up this stuff and sticking it in the fridge? I will probably try both tonight and see which one i can make less of a nightmare out of.

[quote]gogotheviking wrote:
cabre wrote:
BigAlSwede wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good low carb protein bar that preferably doesn’t taste like sawdust? I’m in the beginning stages of planning my diet once I start cutting. Thanks

Make your own.
Chocolate Metabolic Drive
Natural peanut-butter
Flax meal

Exactly

You can play around with the ingredients too, like almond butter (or any kind of nut butter), adding nuts, etc…
[/quote]

I’ve made these before. They’re really good, but just so damn messy even when you freeze them. Maybe I wasn’t doing it right though.

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
i am planning on trying out my own protein bars tonight. I searched “recipe” and found some good threads. They all generally go with mixing PB with your why and then whatever else strikes your fancy.

My only concern is the heat to the protein. i thought it would breakdown the whey or are you guys talking about mixing up this stuff and sticking it in the fridge? I will probably try both tonight and see which one i can make less of a nightmare out of.[/quote]

All I can say is that John Berardi himself suggests to cook whey. Look at his precision nutrition book, it contains a lot of recipes that includes cooking whey.

I don’t remember if he said anything about it in his book, but he definitely suggests to cook whey…

I myself cooked a bunch of protein bars, all I can say is it tastes great, and cooking it makes it better (I tried just eating them uncooked, but it was not as good)

[quote]BigAlSwede wrote:
gogotheviking wrote:
cabre wrote:
BigAlSwede wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good low carb protein bar that preferably doesn’t taste like sawdust? I’m in the beginning stages of planning my diet once I start cutting. Thanks

Make your own.
Chocolate Metabolic Drive
Natural peanut-butter
Flax meal

Exactly

You can play around with the ingredients too, like almond butter (or any kind of nut butter), adding nuts, etc…

I’ve made these before. They’re really good, but just so damn messy even when you freeze them. Maybe I wasn’t doing it right though.[/quote]

Really? Each time I’ve made them the “batter” sticks together well and spreads nicely on a plastic wrap lined cake pan. I just pop 'em in the 'fridge.

[quote]WeaponX wrote:
i am planning on trying out my own protein bars tonight. I searched “recipe” and found some good threads. They all generally go with mixing PB with your why and then whatever else strikes your fancy.

My only concern is the heat to the protein. i thought it would breakdown the whey or are you guys talking about mixing up this stuff and sticking it in the fridge? I will probably try both tonight and see which one i can make less of a nightmare out of.[/quote]

The kind I make are not baked. I stash 'em in the fridge. Heating the protein shouldn’t be that big of a deal.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Beef jerky! and those foil pouches of Salmon and Tuna are pretty frigging good too.
[/quote]

Just about have to make the Jerky yourself though, I can’t seem to find any that doesn’t have sugar in it.

[quote]TC wrote:
BigAlSwede wrote:
ya, I actually used Pure Protein Bars for a while because they were cheap, but stopped because of the soy.

Alright, who do I beat the tar out of first?

Pure Protein bars have 9 grams of sugar and around 25 grams of carbohydrate, depending on the flavor.

Biotest’s Metabolic Drive bars have fewer grams of sugar and about 25 total grams, depending on the flavor, and have the highest–quality protein, and no garbage ingredients, in addtion to only costing a little over a buck a bar.

[/quote]

I’m actually looking through the site trying to find them (the guys over at Pure-HIT were having a discussion about how good they are). For some reason, clicking on the store doesn’t bring them up. I’m going to try again.