Low Carb Pasta!

Apparently this company has figured out a way to treat their wheat so most of the carbs are undigestable. so 1/2 cup of PASTA has 5 net carbs. Im not sure how this is possible…Thought this would interest people on here. Also, can anyone explain why this undigestable idea does/doesn’t work???

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/low-carb-pasta.html

Nice find, i was just craving pasta; think I may hold off and give this a try.

it has 40 some odd grams of carbs, and 31 are protected? what kind of crap is that? protected, i swear they will market and twist stuff to get gullible people.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
it has 40 some odd grams of carbs, and 31 are protected? what kind of crap is that? protected, i swear they will market and twist stuff to get gullible people.[/quote]

To be fair, this is apparently true. Not that I believe everything on tv, I actually learned of this watching a show about italian food on the food network

Taken from a review that was written on that site…

“Dreamfield’s pasta really is real pasta! Taste, texture, compatibility with ingredients, all these things are there. My family, a very suspicious bunch, cannot tell the difference between Dreamfield’s and regular. Now here’s the disclaimer: You cannot use Dreamfield’s as leftovers for the low carbers in your family. It is still delicious but the fiber that protects the carbs from digestion must disappear when stored with a sauce. I always have a weight gain if I eat the leftovers but none if I eat the pasta fresh eat time. So I just serve them to hubby and kids the next day”

WTF??? lol.

Mendosa has a popular website involving diabetes. He investigated the paste here:

http://www.mendosa.com/dreamfields_pasta.htm

My mother used to use this, and being a diabetic found little impact on her blood sugar.

The link I post above does mention one person who cooked the pasta in tomato sauce instead of boiling it in water, and found an increase in blood sugar levels the next morning, but didn’t find it if it was boiled.

This is a way to have pasta without seriously affecting blood sugar levels, and potentially insulin levels, but cannot speak to whether or not you actually digest the carbohydrates.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Mendosa has a popular website involving diabetes. He investigated the paste here:

http://www.mendosa.com/dreamfields_pasta.htm

My mother used to use this, and being a diabetic found little impact on her blood sugar.

The link I post above does mention one person who cooked the pasta in tomato sauce instead of boiling it in water, and found an increase in blood sugar levels the next morning, but didn’t find it if it was boiled.

This is a way to have pasta without seriously affecting blood sugar levels, and potentially insulin levels, but cannot speak to whether or not you actually digest the carbohydrates. [/quote]

That’s very interesting…

I’ve seen similar products…when the low carb fad was in full swing there were low-carb bread, potatoes, etc.

This product makes me think of that indigestable fat olesta…that resulted in “anal leakage”. I don’t want to risk my body like that with another product concocted in a lab.

[quote]Digity wrote:
I’ve seen similar products…when the low carb fad was in full swing there were low-carb bread, potatoes, etc.

This product makes me think of that indigestable fat olesta…that resulted in “anal leakage”. I don’t want to risk my body like that with another product concocted in a lab.[/quote]

apparently double and even triple servings do not cause any excess gas nor diarrhea. im thinking this is actually magical elf pasta because none of this seems possible to me…

[quote]Digity wrote:

This product makes me think of that indigestable fat olesta…that resulted in “anal leakage”. I don’t want to risk my body like that with another product concocted in a lab.[/quote]

I don’t think this causes any problems with digestion. Supposedly it acts like a fiber in the colon.

I know some people on this website have used it. I have thought about it, and keep spacing about buying it. I don’t think my mother had a problem when she used it.

In my opinion, “low carb” pasta is a contradiction in terms. If you’re gonna’ be a bear, be a grizzly.

This is good stuff. I have eaten a good deal of it. :slight_smile:

It’s not that the carbs are indigestible, just that the fiber reduces the blood sugar response and insulin load.

It does not cause any sort of gastrointestinal distress. If anything, the opposite.

So I see it as similar to eating, say, barley, which is naturally high in fiber and has a low glycemic load.

I normally eat only whole-grain, high-fiber starchy carb sources, but pasta is the exception. Most whole-grain or fiber-fortified pastas are just terrible, with a mealy texture. So thank goodness for Dreamfield’s, but it is increasingly hard to find now that the low-carb craze has subsided.

it’s not like it’s loaded with 31g of fiber, to say that all those other carbs dont’ count.

Well, I didn’t see how they came up with 5 net carbs.

But then again, practically everything that says “net carbs” is probably wrong, whether they’re not counting sugar alcohols or glycerine or whatever.

However, if Dreamfield’s doesn’t raise blood sugar much in diabetics, maybe they are saying that it raises blood sugar as much as 5 grams of sugar. The claimed glycemic index is very low.

But anyway, I pay no attention to that and just count non-fiber carbs. I don’t delude myself that it’s free of all calories. :slight_smile:

It’s still great pasta with fiber and a lower glycemic load than regular pasta.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
it’s not like it’s loaded with 31g of fiber, to say that all those other carbs dont’ count.[/quote]

Exactly. What the heck are “protected carbs?” there are plenty of whole wheat pastas on the market that have higher fiber than this brand.

I’ve read the patents and done my own research. Seems legit.

I’ve eaten the stuff. Man, you will have “movements” like crazy.

sounds weird, don’t wanna mess with it personally

I don’t buy that it’s any better then organic whole wheat pasta I get from Trader Joes for $1.19/lb.

I miss pasta, i need to give this stuff a shot. Good Find