T Nation

Low-Carb Milk

Is this a good alternative to ordinary milk? I mean with double the protein it seems like if you drank a gallon of this stuff a day you’d be set. Has anyone tried it? What do you think of it?

Tastes better than regular milk. More protein. Works for the Anabolic Diet. Mixes well with Low-Carb Grow!. What’s not to love? … the price I guess. Shop around though, the prices range from $2.75 to $3.25 in my area. That can add up if you go through as much as I do.

I have experience with the Hood brand, Atkins approved stuff. I’m no expert, but low carb does not equal no carb, so there might still be problems with lactose intolerant people. That said, it seems like they tend to be diluted milk protein with extra caseinate and whey, which sounds good.

I’m assuming from the order of ingredients that there is more casein than whey in it, so that for off days, it might be fine to just drink a gallon of this (this is not going to be the postworkout drink of champs). The cost is $5/100g of protein, and that is slightly higher than that of things like Grow! or most other protein supps. However, it does taste a decent amount like milk, and can be used for cooking.

I personally like it a lot because of its usefulness. Even if you use it with cereal (and it does taste good), you are cutting out at least the milk carbs, which is nice.
TS

[quote]ConorM wrote:
Is this a good alternative to ordinary milk? I mean with double the protein it seems like if you drank a gallon of this stuff a day you’d be set. Has anyone tried it? What do you think of it?[/quote]

Im having it in my oatmeal as I type this. The stuff is great.

The low carb hood milk has 12g /cup of protein. That is 50% more than regular milk. In the fat free variety 50/70 calories are from protein. From a protein standpoint it has more.

beef

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
The low carb hood milk has 12g /cup of protein.[/quote]

Apparently, they recently reformulated it, and it now only has 8g protein/cup. It’s macronutrient profile is still more favorable than real milk, but unfortunately not by as much as it was.

I love this stuff! However, I’ve been told more and more grocery stores are going to stop selling this product due to the fact the Atkins trend is essentially dead.

The Atkins trend is dying? I guess all the sugar alcohol bogus low carb shit that people thought they could cheat with “proved” it didn’t work and they are all giving up now.

What bandwagon is everyone jumping on now?

Oh, and to be on topic, I really wish the low carb milk would find its way to where I live… I’ve never seen it, much less tried it!

Oh man, the chocolate Carb Countdown milk is so amazingly good. It’s kind of thick like a milkshake. Stores around me are starting to not carry it, though. I think it may be short-lived, sadly.

I love Hood Carb Countdown. As stated above, they recently reformulated it so it has 8 grams of protein per 8 ounces. Even though the protein is the same as milk, it has less sugar. It mixes well with Grow!, and I also like it with a Grow! bar.

I second the statement about the chocalte flavor Hood. It is SO yummy. My wife and I use it for a treat on the weekend.

Christopher

Myopic Rhino,
I hadn’t heard this! 12g down to 8g per cup? Pitty. I like the stuff as well. (Didn’t it win a T-award last year or something?) It may actually be one of the good things that food technologists have come up with.

This may sound odd but I mix it 50/50 with skim at times, just to make the taste even closer to milk and to go with the moderation thing (carbs/ lactose, etc.).