T Nation

Low Carb Insulin Use

Something reminded me of a couple of articles I read about using insulin while keeping carbs low(below 50 grams/day) and protein above 600g/day.

I think the original was by Oliver Starr and another refinement was by Author L Rea. The idea was to provide the needed carbs by gluconeogenesis and prevent getting fat while using high doses or insulin.

I thought it sounded interesting but never heard of anyone doing it. Has anyone done it or know of anyone. It makes sense but sounds scary.

Personally I wouldnt even consider using insulin on an extreme low carb diet.
See Ya

I know of one National competitior how uses this approach. I don’t know his exact protocol, but he uses frequent small doses I believe.

Obviously this can be a very risky approach, and definitely not for casual lifters. This guy as I recall missed his procard by 1 point last year.

So if you are that close to being an IBBF pro, then consider it’s use. If not, there are certainly many safer approaches to utilize.

Sorry to hijack the thread…

Just wanted to congratulate the prisoner on a fine showing last Saturday at the Mr. Manitobas. 1st place Heavyweights; not too shabby.

Maybe post up a few pics?

That was definitely the best I’ve seen you look- great job.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Bryan Krahn wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread…

Just wanted to congratulate the prisoner on a fine showing last Saturday at the Mr. Manitobas. 1st place Heavyweights; not too shabby.

Maybe post up a few pics?

That was definitely the best I’ve seen you look- great job.

Hells yeah, get some pics up Pris, and congratulations!

Bushy[/quote]

Thanks guys, and pics are now up in the Performance section.

Next show 7 weeks away - Canadian nationals - my first time, should be really exciting!