T Nation

low-carb diets and fiber

I just finished reading Don Alessi’s low carb article in the newest “Iron Dog” column, and while I agree with the concept one thing still worries me a little. To put it bluntly, how the hell do you SHIT? No carbs means no fiber and that kinda freaks me out a little. And that’s a lot of Metamucil to resolve the problem!

I don’t think he said “no carbs”. And you can eat a lot of good fiber foods and still get around 100 grams of carbs per day, which is what Alessi has talked about before. Celery comes to mind, about 4 carbs per serving, and a serving is pretty big. Oatmeal is only around 25 carbs. Flax-o-meal works great too - low carbs, super high fiber. T-mag recommended this in a previous “Stuff We Like” column. It’s not hard to get plenty of whole food fiber on a low carb diet.

It depends on the person. Some people do
fine with about zero fiber and can live
off of MRP’s, protein powder, and oil. Others
have problems with that.

I went on a extremely low carb diet and didn’t have any problems at all going to the washroom. I actually crapped about 4 times a day on 30 grams of carbs.

I had the same questions and the answers here do not address the fact that there are 3 types of fiber and only one has been discussed here. It is in fact hard to get 40 gr of fiber a day on a low carb diet. Metamucil is only one form and your body will aclimate to it. I went of fat fast and my system shut down totally even though I was eating 40 gr of fiber from metamucil a day. I did John B’s tests for insulin sensativity and found I am one of the few that handles carbs very well in fact I was on the highest point of above average on all tests. That is most likely why my body really hates Keto diets. I did it for 6 weeks and it made me sick as hell when I went on and came off it. From a long term diet standpoint I cannot see how low-carb is good for you.

When I’m going no- carbs, I’ll have 2 dymetadrine extreme first thing with water on empty stomach, and 15 minutes later when it kicks in, I have to take a dump. It works quite well.

When on Fat Fast, i take 1 Tbsp of psyllium husk (I prefer Colon Cleanse sugar free orange) 3 times per day. Keeps the pipes clean and helps with appetite suppression. I prefer to have the fiber in between meals and not with supps but will have the fiber with a shake if necc for time constraints.

If anything you’ll be forced to eat your veggies at least. Lettuce has no active carbs. Other green veggies have very little. But if you can’t handle that then get some millers bran. This has 7 grams of fiber and 3 grams of active carbs. 4 servings of this would give you plenty of fiber and would only give you 12 grams of active carbs.