T Nation

Low-Carb Diet Questions

I’m going to be starting a low-carb diet, I got it basically figured out, just a few quick questions. I was planning on having an apple with breakfast everyday for glycogen levels… good or bad idea? And I was planning on having a banana with my PWO shake(whey)… good or bad idea? Also do sugar alcohols (the ones in a protein bar) count as carbs? Last question, should I refeed on the weekend? Some diets I’ve read have you eating low-carb all the time, while others just have you eating low-carb during the week, and high-carb on the weekends.

I’m about 5’5, 140 pounds, around 18% bf.

Thanks.

Skip the apple and have an orange instead. The vitamin C will blunt your cortisol which is elevated in the morning. As far as post-workout you need something like Surge with simple carbs and protein. If you use whey eat it with white bread, this will spike your insulin faster than a banana.

I wouldn’t refeed if I were you, you’re at 18% bf and you’re just starting the diet. In fact, you might want to skip carbs altogether for the first week to let your body become fat adapted. You’ll feel like shit but once you adapt fully it will be well worth it.

[quote]nevans wrote:
Skip the apple and have an orange instead. The vitamin C will blunt your cortisol which is elevated in the morning. As far as post-workout you need something like Surge with simple carbs and protein. If you use whey eat it with white bread, this will spike your insulin faster than a banana.

I wouldn’t refeed if I were you, you’re at 18% bf and you’re just starting the diet. In fact, you might want to skip carbs altogether for the first week to let your body become fat adapted. You’ll feel like shit but once you adapt fully it will be well worth it.[/quote]

I know that Surge or white bread would create a better insulin spike, but I was just thinking of the health benefits of having a banana.
So for the first week have no carbs in my PWO shake or with breakfast and then start having fruit with them the second week? What about protein bars that contain sugar alcohols, but have low net carbs?

Forget the protein bars they’re full of sugar.

Do you do any cardio? If not I would include 5 sessions of 30-45 min low intensity cardio a week right after your training when your body allready metabolise the fat. Keep your heart rate low or else you’ll no longer metabolise your fat but glycogen

For the diet I would suggest a very low carb moderate fat and high protein approach with 2 days of carb loading. Witch means your carbs will be mostly fibres from vegetables during the week… if you have sugar cravings jump on sugar free jell-o. During the weekend you’ll have brown pasta, complete rice, oats…

-Drop the carbs
-do your cardio
-eat often (every 3 hours)
-don’t give up the first week is the worst

No, don’t do cardio:
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=861&Itemid=10029

And at 18% bodyfat two days of carb loading is the last thing you need.

Like flesh said, eat lots of veggies which will give you fiber because you won’t be getting it from grains. Make sure you are eating enough fat so that you aren’t wasting protein by using it as an energy source.

[quote]FlEsH_FrEaK wrote:
Forget the protein bars they’re full of sugar.

Do you do any cardio? If not I would include 5 sessions of 30-45 min low intensity cardio a week right after your training when your body allready metabolise the fat. Keep your heart rate low or else you’ll no longer metabolise your fat but glycogen

For the diet I would suggest a very low carb moderate fat and high protein approach with 2 days of carb loading. Witch means your carbs will be mostly fibres from vegetables during the week… if you have sugar cravings jump on sugar free jell-o. During the weekend you’ll have brown pasta, complete rice, oats…

-Drop the carbs
-do your cardio
-eat often (every 3 hours)
-don’t give up the first week is the worst
[/quote]

Ok, I’ll drop the protein bars, they’re by EAS if that makes any difference (?)
Well as far as cardio goes I plan on doing HIIT twice a week for 20 minutes, followed by a 20 minute walk.
When you say low intensity, you mean a walk right? Won’t that make my workouts last to long?
Are refeed’s good for fat loss or are they just for me to keep my sanity?

Thanks by the way, your advice is much appreciated.

[quote]nevans wrote:
No, don’t do cardio:
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=861&Itemid=10029

And at 18% bodyfat two days of carb loading is the last thing you need.

Like flesh said, eat lots of veggies which will give you fiber because you won’t be getting it from grains. Make sure you are eating enough fat so that you aren’t wasting protein by using it as an energy source.[/quote]

So lots of nuts, cheese, eggs, meats, and some oils, natty pb?

Exactly, and lots of green vegetables.

[quote]nevans wrote:
Exactly, and lots of green vegetables.[/quote]

Any idea of how many grams of fat I should eat?

Normally you want fat to be 20-30% of your calories. You will probably need to be over that while on low-carb. Get mostly monunsaturataed (nuts, olive oil) and get lots of Omega 3 (fish oil).

well here’s what I ate today for my first day

meal 1 - 3 eggs, a cup of egg whites, onions, 1 tsp of olive oil
meal 2 - protein shake - 1scoop of whey, 1 banana (trying to keep carbs as low as possible)
meal 3 - 3 cheese strings
meal 4 - asparagus/salmon
meal 5 - 2 hamburger patties (extra lean) + lettuce
meal 6 - can of tuna, lettuce + almonds + olive oil
meal 7 - scoop of protein, 1sp of fish oil, celery

[quote]stuward wrote:
Normally you want fat to be 20-30% of your calories. You will probably need to be over that while on low-carb. Get mostly monunsaturataed (nuts, olive oil) and get lots of Omega 3 (fish oil).[/quote]

which nuts are lowest in carbs?

Hey dude, I’ve been on the low-carb craze for months on and now. I just have some basic advice.

First off, I’d check out that huge thread on the anabolic diet. Good stuff.

Secondly, I’d go two weeks with low carbs. Before having any sort of carb meal again. And during this time I think it’s best to count carbs. With the meal plan you presented, you’re getting in well over 30 grams carbs. While starting out, you should definitely be under that number.

I’d also skip the banana to begin with. Just get in all your carbs from the veggies, nuts, whey, dairy, and eggs. All that adds up. And as a side note, I’d personally cut out the dairy.

Lastly, most nuts (to me anyway) all seem to fall in the 3-4g of carbs per serving category. Someone mentioned this one type of nut that has two grams of carbs, but I forgot the name. The word “pine” comes to mind, but maybe you could look into that if you want to know more. Sorry I forgot.

Why do you say skip dairy? I mean, I can see if you’re going real low carb you’d not want milk or yogurt, but cheese and eggs have very little if any carbs.

Cut the banana, replace it with one serving of natural peanut butter, mix it in your shake (or just eat it off the spoon). After subtracting dietary fibers, it’s about 4g carbs, much less than a banana.

Definitely read the Anabolic Thread, gives you everything you need to know.

I’ve been doing AD/low-carb myself and it’s great, really lost a good amount of weight.

Good luck.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Cut the banana, replace it with one serving of natural peanut butter, mix it in your shake (or just eat it off the spoon). After subtracting dietary fibers, it’s about 4g carbs, much less than a banana.

Definitely read the Anabolic Thread, gives you everything you need to know.

I’ve been doing AD/low-carb myself and it’s great, really lost a good amount of weight.

Good luck.[/quote]

I am a newbie but isn’t fat bad post workout because it slows down digestion?

[quote]Whey Man wrote:
Hey dude, I’ve been on the low-carb craze for months on and now. I just have some basic advice.

First off, I’d check out that huge thread on the anabolic diet. Good stuff.

Secondly, I’d go two weeks with low carbs. Before having any sort of carb meal again. And during this time I think it’s best to count carbs. With the meal plan you presented, you’re getting in well over 30 grams carbs. While starting out, you should definitely be under that number.

I’d also skip the banana to begin with. Just get in all your carbs from the veggies, nuts, whey, dairy, and eggs. All that adds up. And as a side note, I’d personally cut out the dairy.

Lastly, most nuts (to me anyway) all seem to fall in the 3-4g of carbs per serving category. Someone mentioned this one type of nut that has two grams of carbs, but I forgot the name. The word “pine” comes to mind, but maybe you could look into that if you want to know more. Sorry I forgot. [/quote]

I’ll definately take a look at that thread. What do you recommend for my PWO shake besides whey?

Which anabolic thread are you talking about i see a bunch