Low Carb Diet Questions

I have been reading a lot of Poliquin’s book German Body composition, and info on paleolithic diets. Poliquin recommends you find out if a low carb diet is for you if you wake up, eat a high carb meal, and see if you are still tired. Well i have since noticed everytime i eat high carb food i feel like sleeping… so i decided i would go on a low carb diet.

I try to eat lots of foods like Cheese, beef, chicken, turkey burgers, broccoli and whatever other veggies i can get, and nuts. Also i make shakes with yogurt berries and Metabolic Drive if i am lazy and dont want to cook anything.

My problem is that i feel like i have to eat soo much cheese and nuts to keep my calories up. It feels unhealthy eatin 5-6oz cheese and 6-7 oz nuts a day just to keep my calories up. Since i eat lean meats they dont add up to that many calories, and when i eat salad and broccoli i feel like the only way i can make these higher calorie is to add loads of olive oil and vinegar, and even then most of the stuff is at the bottom of the bowl.

Granted i do want to lose weight right now but i have one of thoughs metabolisms that in 3 days of light eating i will be a good 4-5 pounds lighter. This is too fast for me and i get paranoid about muscle loss.

I know your not supposed to eat the same things everyday, so how do you all ensure your getting enough calories on a low carb diet.

If you are going to go low carb then you must up the fats. Adding olive oil and other healthy fats is obviously a good choice but don’t be afraid to eat some non lean meats too.

well im not a fan of the low carb approach buuuuuut if thats what your gonan do you can choose alot of calorie dense foods…

all nuts , and nut butters pack around 200 cals a serving…wont take much to hit any goals there…

[quote]Popiapang wrote:
I have been reading a lot of Poliquin’s book German Body composition, and info on paleolithic diets. Poliquin recommends you find out if a low carb diet is for you if you wake up, eat a high carb meal, and see if you are still tired. Well i have since noticed everytime i eat high carb food i feel like sleeping… so i decided i would go on a low carb diet.

I try to eat lots of foods like Cheese, beef, chicken, turkey burgers, broccoli and whatever other veggies i can get, and nuts. Also i make shakes with yogurt berries and Metabolic Drive if i am lazy and dont want to cook anything.

My problem is that i feel like i have to eat soo much cheese and nuts to keep my calories up. It feels unhealthy eatin 5-6oz cheese and 6-7 oz nuts a day just to keep my calories up. Since i eat lean meats they dont add up to that many calories, and when i eat salad and broccoli i feel like the only way i can make these higher calorie is to add loads of olive oil and vinegar, and even then most of the stuff is at the bottom of the bowl.

Granted i do want to lose weight right now but i have one of thoughs metabolisms that in 3 days of light eating i will be a good 4-5 pounds lighter. This is too fast for me and i get paranoid about muscle loss.

I know your not supposed to eat the same things everyday, so how do you all ensure your getting enough calories on a low carb diet.[/quote]

If you’re loosing weight easily then you probably are not carb resistant and don’t need to cut your good carbs out. Clean up your diet, get rid of processed, junk and sugar and then see how you feel.

I would also add in to adjust the portions to fit what you need. Sometimes a plan will have 1/2 cup of this or 4 oz of that. If those numbers are too low for you, feel free to adjust to what you need. Maybe have 1 cup of this or 6 oz of that.

[quote]Popiapang wrote:
It feels unhealthy eatin 5-6oz cheese and 6-7 oz nuts a day just to keep my calories up.[/quote]

Since when are nuts unhealthy!? And full-fat cottage cheese is not my idea of unhealthy food either.

Like somebody else said, stick in some good complex carbs (yams, brown rice, oats, etc) and see how you do.

BTW, if you drop all your carbs, you’re going to lose a bunch of pounds within the first 2-4 days just because of water loss. You know this, right?

As someone else pointed out, try to eat more fatty meat. A couple other calorie dense foods that come to mind are coconuts (oil, cream, milk, flakes) and avocados. An avocado has about 300 calories and it’s a nice addition to salads or a topping for scrambled eggs. Extra virgin coconut oil (Nutiva is a good brand) has about 120 calories per Tb. It’s a great cooking oil, but it also tastes good enough to be eaten by the spoonful for some extra calories. A can of coconut milk (try Thai Kitchen brand) has about 800 calories and can be used for making shakes, sauces, soups, and curry.

Oh, and cream (Organic Valley brand is excellent) is also a quick calorie booster. It can be put in coffee, mixed with scrambled eggs, poured over a small bowl of berries, or whatever.

6 whole eggs, salsa, low-fat cheese mixed together. Very good.

I know i am probably not carb intolerant, but i wanted to test it out. So far i feel really good its been 1 week. I wake up with more energy and feel like i have more energy throughout the day. So its not bad to be eating this much cheese and what not? Coconut oil has a ton of saturated fat… that seems like it wouldn’t be good to eat.
One last thing - I read from a lot of books and what not that changing up your diet constantly is necessary, what is the consensus? It would be much more convienient to jsut make up a dialy diet and keep eating the same thing but i dont want to compromise my gains.

Popiapang, you’re right about variety being a good thing. If you’ve gone to the trouble of putting together a menu/plan for yourself, make sure you save it. After you’ve accumulated a few, you can rotate between 'em. Just make sure each day is as different as possible and that you’re getting as much variety as possible. We tend to be creatures of habit, eating the same things over and over again.

"Coconut oil has a ton of saturated fat… that seems like it wouldn’t be good to eat. "

Many people examine the research on saturated fat before going on a low carb diet and become convinced it’s not the devil it’s made out to be. It can take some getting used to though, after all those years of brain washing :slight_smile:

Here’s a decent article about coconut oil I’d suggest reading:

COCONUT OIL: Atherogenic or Not?
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:8tfxXJZfB3AJ:www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article%2520032305.pdf+"COCONUT+OIL:+Atherogenic+or+Not%3F"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

A lot more articles on coconuts can be found here:

Coconut Research Center
http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/research.htm

A few good articles on saturated fat to get you started:

Saturated fats: what dietary intake?
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/3/550

What if It’s All Been a Big Fat Lie?
http://www.wilstar.com/lowcarb/bigfatlie.htm

Dietary fats, carbohydrate, and progression of coronary atherosclerosis in postmenopausal women

Dietary fat intake and early mortality patterns–data from The Malmo Diet and Cancer Study.

Here are just a few sites to read articles and research on fat and/or low carb diets:

LC Research/Media

Protein Power

Weston A Price
http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm

Thanks for all those links, Tarek! I’ll be sure to check them out when, I, ah, have a day off or something :slight_smile:

[quote]Tarek wrote:

Many people examine the research on saturated fat before going on a low carb diet and become convinced it’s not the devil it’s made out to be. It can take some getting used to though, after all those years of brain washing :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Agree 100%.

dude the perfect diet for you…high fats and its all explained here with vets to answer questions…its called the anabolic diet search for it and read up and youll be like holy shit wish i found out about this earlier… i know i do…and so does everyone else so hop aboard the fat eating wagon…btw the few of us who r losing and not trying to gain find it easy to stay or get lean…this diet is awesome for bulking or losing just look it up on here its well worth it

QUESTION ON CARBS/FATS/PROTEIN:

I am trying to not mix carbs and fats, only mixing carbs with protein, or protein with fats. However I get confused with nuts and with PB-- do these count as fats or proteins? For example, a carrot with 1Tbsp of PB-- is that combining carbs and fats too much? Would i not want to take Flameout ( a fat right?) along with any carbs? I took it at the end of the day with just cottage cheese today.
Thanks.

[quote]fifteenthlife wrote:
QUESTION ON CARBS/FATS/PROTEIN:

I am trying to not mix carbs and fats, only mixing carbs with protein, or protein with fats. However I get confused with nuts and with PB-- do these count as fats or proteins? For example, a carrot with 1Tbsp of PB-- is that combining carbs and fats too much? Would i not want to take Flameout ( a fat right?) along with any carbs? I took it at the end of the day with just cottage cheese today.
Thanks.[/quote]

Stuff like nuts and PB have some carbs, yes, but they are primarily a fat-heavy food. Think of them in terms of fat not carbs. Oh and about the proteins in them, they are incomplete - as far as i’ve read they don’t contain a complete amino acid profile, so in terms of their protein content they would be inferior to say beef or whey, etc.

Not sure how many carbs are in a carrot, but I don’t think it’s a problem because it’s probably a low amount. Probably similar to having a load of broccoli with some fat source; that’s perfectly fine (and if you are eating that then good job).

The cottage cheese/Flameout combo is perfectly fine. You can’t really avoid all carbs, because as you’ve noticed they are in a lot of foods, even if those foods are high in fat (nuts and PB for example). Hope this helped.