Low Carb Diet...Not Losing Weight

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
JMoUCF87 wrote:
reduce your calories by ~500 per day, fat loss will get moving again.

This sounds like another piece of dogma that needs to be euthanized.[/quote]

…really? reduce calories to lose weight is dogma now? i guess i didnt get the memo.

Yes, of course it matters where the calorie deficit comes from. in general, it is unwise to reduce protein intake unless you are eating a shit-ton of protein in the first place. it is for this reason that i said that the reduction should come from fat. (as his carbs cannot be reduced much further)

I suggested 500 for HIM, obviously if he was a small woman eating only 1,200 calories a day, 500 would be huge, but going from 2,600 (probably over b/c of miscalculations) to ~2,100 is a reasonable reduction

[quote]Also, what do you all think of initiating ‘metabolism shock’ - my phrase, I guess - to begin gaining muscle or losing fat?

Say someone can’t get going with a particular weight gain/loss plan. Have you notice say, a 30% reduction in calories would be good to INITIATE fat loss, and that this can be scaled back to perhaps 15-20% once the fat starts coming off (after spending a certain amount of time at 30% to trick the body into burning fat) ?[/quote]

OK, first of all the body doesn’t need to be “tricked” into burning fat. a more aggressive deficit at the beginning of a diet is fine if that keeps you motivated. obviously one shouldnt consistently eat far below maintenance as various bodily functions tend to get screwed up (though never permanently)

as you reach your “genetic limit” and as newbie gains taper off, one should probably scale back the deficit to something more reasonable, but i fail to see what that has to do with the OP breaking his fat loss plateau

[quote]moofs wrote:
JMoUCF87 wrote:
also your fat cal are way off, I only calculated the amount of fat in 3 whole eggs, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 cup almonds, 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp natural PB, and 13g fish oil, and you are already at almost 130g, thats not even counting the tag along fats in your salad, protein shakes, and chicken/steak dinner. all told you’re probably consuming closer to 150+g per day aka a fuckload.

lowering your fats = lowering your calories = lowering your BF%

glad i could help

where did u you get your info from? Just curious. I totalled mine up from exactly whats on the back of the container. But like you said. I will lower the fat cals.
I’m following the guidelines that Tibs wrote in the refined physique transformation article.

He says your protein cals should be equal to your fat. Plus it also says to take more fishoil then I am taking but I cant afford it.
Do you guys have any more ideas? Or tips on how I can get more protein in so I can replace one of the shakes?

I was pissed today, I stepped on the scale, before I weighed 224.3 and today I was 226.7
Whats going on?

I broke the diet yesterday since I was gone and the only place to get food was taco bell and I thought I’d eat something rather then nothing and count it as my cheat meal (first one in 2 weeks) and this happened. whats going on?[/quote]

There is no reason why fat should be set equal to protein. here’s why: if calories are low (like on a diet) and fat and protein ratios are equal, then you are not getting enough protein. if you are getting enough protein, and fat and protein ratios are equal, then that means your calories are too high.

also, i quickly plugged the info from your food log into my fitday account (i actually bought the program) and your fat was around 130g even without dinner factored in (i assumed the turkey on your salad and your shakes had 0 fat, which they probably do not)

remember people, like T-Nation author (and all around smart lady) Leigh Peele says, “fat loss is not an opinion.” meaning that there is a LOGIC and SCIENCE behind it, and part of that science says that if you are not losing weight, you need to EAT less, move MORE, or do a combination of both.

Hey,

I’m actually with laroyal on this one (we were biosig certified in the same class).

Stop with the shakes. And don’t count calories… for christ’s sake, you’re 25% bf. Your eating just sucked for a long time, and now your hormones are screwed up. Counting calories is for neurotic girls. You will secrete too much cortisol just by thinking about it.

I would give you a specific protocol, but hell, that’s too complicated. Eat meat, fat, and veggies 6 times a day, 6 days a week, then once on the weekend cheat. If that doesn’t work after a month, then you need to look into other issues.

[quote]ksommer wrote:
Hey,

I’m actually with laroyal on this one (we were biosig certified in the same class).

Stop with the shakes. And don’t count calories… for christ’s sake, you’re 25% bf. Your eating just sucked for a long time, and now your hormones are screwed up. Counting calories is for neurotic girls. You will secrete too much cortisol just by thinking about it.

I would give you a specific protocol, but hell, that’s too complicated. Eat meat, fat, and veggies 6 times a day, 6 days a week, then once on the weekend cheat. If that doesn’t work after a month, then you need to look into other issues.[/quote]

the first time I did that I lost weight but it was b/c I was eating only 1500 calories. Its easier for me to have a laid out plan now and knowing that what im eating is right instead of the guessing. Its not about calorie counting for me, its about keeping count of my macros.

For example, before when I did the whole eat protein and greens every meal I was only eating like 140g of protein. I know you could say “eat more” but its not that easy for me with school and all.

I’m currently re working the diet thought and taking out the last shake. I have a time constraint with breakfast so I’m gonna keep that one.

This is really the best I could do. If you have improvements on this I will really appreciate it. I feel bad using the shakes now but like many have said, only use them if u need to, and I need to. I’m in school till meal 4.

I have to eat the almonds and stuff in math class. I added more fish oil though and also replaced the ABB shake which was store bought for 2 scoops on ON’s whey.

Hopefully thats a little better. This still slightly confuses me since for example, in stuff like the physique clinic, Bartl had like 3 shakes a day and lost 60lbs. I know its not the best but I hope it can help to at least get me to 15%bf.

Heres the slightly altered one…

I’m also gonna try to take a teaspoon cinnamon with the shake to see if it helps the insulin spike.

Breakfast-
3 whole eggs
1 scoop whey
1/2 tbsp coconut oil

Morning Snack-
1/4th cup almonds

Lunch-
Salad with turkey slices

Midday-
1 can tuna
1 tbsp EVOO
Salad greens

Lateday-
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
5 celery sticks
2 scoops whey

Dinner-
Fish, chicken, steak (serving 2 and a half)
Greens

Fish oil-
22g’s

Calories- 2265
Protein- 264
Carbs- 33
Fat- 105

moofs, listen to me closely…please, PLEASE do NOT listen to the people telling you to not count calories, they are wrong, plain and simple. they make up bullshit myths like:

“itz teh shakez that 're makin you fat bro!”

yeah, its the shakes that make you fat, that’s why so many people blow up on the V-Diet. good thinking, dipshit.

Once you accept the premise that “calories dont count” (which is udder bullshit) then all of a sudden fat loss becomes a mystery. You begin to wonder: “if calories dont matter…then whats halting my fat loss? hmm…HCL levels too low? food combinations not perfect? hormone levels not optimized? food not “clean” enough? eating too often? not eating often enough? macronutrent ratios off? not using enough Biotest products?”

See? its a dangerous path to go down. it only leaves you confused and frustrated. But once you realize that fat loss is essentially creating an energy deficit (through diet and exercise) then all of a sudden, its not a mystery…you know what to do: eat less, or exercise more. both paths lead to the same goal.

but if you believe calories dont matter, then you open yourself up to all sorts of wacky theories about how certain foods or nutrients are “evil” and “make you fat” or that if you buy a certain supplement (HCL anyone?) then, like magic your begin losing fat. uh uh, doesnt work that way.

so in summary: (1) calories count (2) anyone saying otherwise has their head up their ass / is trying to sell you something and (3) calories count

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
While Ialways appreciate when someone sheds light on something I didn’t know, I’m still a little baffled by how a shake (which is really just evaporated milk) has a different response in the body than solid food.

Is it the lack of fiber, and therefore quick digestion rate, that creates an insulin response, or something else? Seriously, I like to think I know a good amount about training and nutrition, but this is really out of left field to me.

S
[/quote]

Stu,

I would assume that powdered protein is the same as processed carbs in their insulinogenic effect.

laroyal and others,

Does this caution against whey extend to whey/casein blends? I’m sure even the casein blend proteins absorb faster than, say, protein from milk or cottage cheese; those need to be broken down much more than powder.

well, I’m certain that any type of food will have some degree of insulinogfenic effect. Still, won’t be losing any sleep over this one :slight_smile:

S

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
While Ialways appreciate when someone sheds light on something I didn’t know, I’m still a little baffled by how a shake (which is really just evaporated milk) has a different response in the body than solid food.

Is it the lack of fiber, and therefore quick digestion rate, that creates an insulin response, or something else? Seriously, I like to think I know a good amount about training and nutrition, but this is really out of left field to me.

S

Stu,

I would assume that powdered protein is the same as processed carbs in their insulinogenic effect.

laroyal and others,

Does this caution against whey extend to whey/casein blends? I’m sure even the casein blend proteins absorb faster than, say, protein from milk or cottage cheese; those need to be broken down much more than powder.
[/quote]

The nutrients are not absorbed as quickly, but it possesses many of the same “dairy” issues.

1. Dairy has a low glycemic index but a high insulin load. It’s something unique to dairy products. They are more useful in situations in which you want to store nutrients, aka PWO. There isn’t much of a point spiking insulin in the middle of the day with no carbs. We call that an “insulin-cortisol see-saw.” Note that milk in nature is a natural source of nutrients other than protein (sugars).

2. Dairy is one of the top food allergens. There are even a couple of threads about this in this same forum about people giving up whey and getting leaner. Remember that we are the only species on the planet that consumes the MILK of another animal in adulthood. While certain genotypes have adapted to milking cultures (in the same way some have adapted to grains/carbohydrate intake), most people aren’t so lucky yet. Whenever I have a client with acne, I tell that person to cut out dairy… usually the acne goes away.

3. As you alluded to, whole foods are always going to provide a slower release of nutrients, a better insulin/glucagon profile, and a superior thermogenic effect. Protein powders are obviously better than skipping a meal, but too many of them will give you a spare tire.

4. Of course calories matter when you are trying to get to a specific goal such as competitive bodybuilding-type shape. But at 25%, THEY DO NOT MATTER. It is the lifestyle or environment that is the issue.

[quote]moofs wrote:

where did u you get your info from? Just curious. I totalled mine up from exactly whats on the back of the container. But like you said. I will lower the fat cals.
I’m following the guidelines that Tibs wrote in the refined physique transformation article.

He says your protein cals should be equal to your fat. Plus it also says to take more fishoil then I am taking but I cant afford it.
Do you guys have any more ideas? Or tips on how I can get more protein in so I can replace one of the shakes?

I was pissed today, I stepped on the scale, before I weighed 224.3 and today I was 226.7
Whats going on?

I broke the diet yesterday since I was gone and the only place to get food was taco bell and I thought I’d eat something rather then nothing and count it as my cheat meal (first one in 2 weeks) and this happened. whats going on?[/quote]

Cheat meals with carbs will generally cause water retention, and your weight will go up.

But also eating saltier food than usual, and/or drinking less water, and/or sweating more, alters sodium balanace and causes the most dramatic overnight gains for me. Even though I salt my own cooking generously, whenever I eat something from a restaurant I retain water like crazy. For example, on Sunday I had fried calamari from a restaurant at lunch, and fried chicken at dinner, and on Monday, my weight jumped up 3 pounds.

[quote]ksommer wrote:

The nutrients are not absorbed as quickly, but it possesses many of the same “dairy” issues.

1. Dairy has a low glycemic index but a high insulin load. It’s something unique to dairy products…[/quote]

It does not make sense that all dairy products would have the same glycemic or insulin load.

For example, I have two dairy sources, Metabolic Drive whey/casein blend (4 grams carbs, 20 grams protein per scoop), and Trader Joe’s Greek yogurt (7 grams carbs, 22 grams protein per cup). The protein:carb ratio is much different than that of plain milk, or most other yogurts. Eating these even all alone, I doubt I’m getting a huge insulin load similar to equal grams of carbs.

Glycemic and Insulin Load are two completely different things. Do not confuse yourself.

Consider what happens when you spike insulin, especially with no sugars.

Trader Joe’s 2% Greek Yogurt is a super food. 24g protein per cup, less than 8g carbs I think. Amazing.

Hey great to hear from you ksommer:-)

People need to realize that kcals are not always the most important part of the equation, it is nutrients. Consider the TEF (thermic effect of food) if you eat 3000 kcals of protein, fat, and carbohydrate there are going to be 3 signifigantly different outcomes and I am sure we can all agree on this. That does not even factor in the effect of hormones. When you look at the best bodybuilders in the world I am sure we can agree on 2 points. 1.) they are huge & ripped 2.) they are not natural.

This being said, we know they eat about they same foods most people on this site do infact, some people on here try to emulate their diets to no avail. The “x” factor is hormonal enviornment and if we can optimize our own with the right food and supplement choices wouldn’t you agree our physiques will reflect this more than a “500 kcal” reduction. Calories are a small slice of the physique pie and obsessing over them is foolish. Heck, if you keep lowering those kcals as some here have suggested your thyroid will down regulate, your ability to oxidize BCAA’s will be comprimised and you will loose muscle (the ultimate fat burning furnace), and your leptin production will be decreased. Look no further than better food choices and I am confident you will reach your goals. IMO your kcals are already on the low end.

[quote]laroyal wrote:

People need to realize that kcals are not always the most important part of the equation, it is nutrients. Consider the TEF (thermic effect of food) if you eat 3000 kcals of protein, fat, and carbohydrate there are going to be 3 signifigantly different outcomes and I am sure we can all agree on this. That does not even factor in the effect of hormones. When you look at the best bodybuilders in the world I am sure we can agree on 2 points. 1.) they are huge & ripped 2.) they are not natural.

This being said, we know they eat about they same foods most people on this site do infact, some people on here try to emulate their diets to no avail. The “x” factor is hormonal enviornment and if we can optimize our own with the right food and supplement choices wouldn’t you agree our physiques will reflect this more than a “500 kcal” reduction. Calories are a small slice of the physique pie and obsessing over them is foolish. Heck, if you keep lowering those kcals as some here have suggested your thyroid will down regulate, your ability to oxidize BCAA’s will be comprimised and you will loose muscle (the ultimate fat burning furnace), and your leptin production will be decreased. Look no further than better food choices and I am confident you will reach your goals. IMO your kcals are already on the low end.[/quote]

Summed up very very well. I just showed your comments to a female friend of mine who’s dieting to reinforce what I’ve been telling her all along.

S

You’re a good man, Stu. I tried to explain this to a female friend who, a few years ago, was on a sub-1000 cal diet, stuffing her face with apples as MEALS.

But for some reason I doubt men can make the same impact on these misguided women that fit, healthy women can. We need more of these female - like our “T Vixens” - mentors out there to change unhealthy dietary and training habits. God bless them.

I know this first hand because my younger sister is within this spectrum.

[quote]laroyal wrote:

People need to realize that kcals are not always the most important part of the equation, it is nutrients. Consider the TEF (thermic effect of food) if you eat 3000 kcals of protein, fat, and carbohydrate there are going to be 3 signifigantly different outcomes and I am sure we can all agree on this.

That does not even factor in the effect of hormones. When you look at the best bodybuilders in the world I am sure we can agree on 2 points. 1.) they are huge & ripped 2.) they are not natural.

This being said, we know they eat about they same foods most people on this site do infact, some people on here try to emulate their diets to no avail.

The “x” factor is hormonal enviornment and if we can optimize our own with the right food and supplement choices wouldn’t you agree our physiques will reflect this more than a “500 kcal” reduction.

Calories are a small slice of the physique pie and obsessing over them is foolish. Heck, if you keep lowering those kcals as some here have suggested your thyroid will down regulate, your ability to oxidize BCAA’s will be comprimised and you will loose muscle (the ultimate fat burning furnace), and your leptin production will be decreased.

Look no further than better food choices and I am confident you will reach your goals. IMO your kcals are already on the low end.[/quote]

you really are dumb aren’t you? i don’t care who’s certification you got, you can go back and tell them that you’re getting schooled in nutrition by a 20 year old communications major. Ok, now on to what you wrote…

first of all, energy balance (energy intake vs. energy expenditure) is the bottom line in weight loss. Similarly “fat balance” (fat intake vs. fat oxidation) is the bottom line in fat loss.

Thermodynamics teaches that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it only changes form. Nobody on earth is exempt from this law. The thermic effect of food does not disprove this law, it only means that some of the calories are expended in the process of digestion but the energy is still accounted for. Calories STILL count.

Secondly, nobody is suggesting that anyone eat 3,000 calories of any single macornutrient, as anyone who doesn’t have their head up their ass will tell you that all three should be present in a diet to some degree.

Moving on to your point about pro bodybuilders…if you think that anyone on THIS SITE (with perhaps the exception of a few very large individuals) eats the way they do, you are a bigger fucking moron than I thought.

if you want to “optimize the hormonal environment” go abuse some pharmaceuticals like pro bodybuilders do, cause that’s about all you can do. YOU YOURSELF stated that they are not natural, so why even make the comparison? apples to oranges much?

You stated to “focus on calories is foolish”…umm, no it isn’t. What’s foolish is believing that certain food choices (i.e. natural vs. regular PB or brown rice vs. white rice) will have any effect on fat loss given equal calories (hint: they don’t)

To quote from an article by Matthew Perryman, CSCS: “The magic of clean eating then is not because of the quality of the foods, but rather the simple fact that “clean” foods on average have less calories for any given amount. The “clean” dieter has
thus reduced his or her calorie intake simply by changing food choices.”

Read that again, and focus on the part about REDUCING ONES CALORIC INTAKE.

Finally, you wrote that if one continues to reduce ones caloric intake, he will experience some degree of metabolic shutdown. Yes, this is a valid point.

However,

(1) someone at 25% BF has a long way to go before this becomes an issue (typically when ones tries to go from 10-12% to single digit this becomes more of a problem) and

(2) that’s precisely the reason you shouldn’t diet for long stretches of time before taking a 2 week “break”, where one raises the calories to maintenance levels or slightly above and increase carbs to non-ketogenic levels (i.e. over 100g per day)

beyond that, when dieting down to single digit levels, a cycical ketogenic diet should be implemented in which regular high carbs refeeds are used to prevent metabolic slowdown.

However, the OP needs not to be concerned with all this until he reaches a significant degree of leanness. Right now he needs to focus on (1) ensuring a sufficent protein intake (1-1.5g per lb.) and creating a energy deficit (through increased training, decreased food intake, or both)

/thread

EDIT: Fuck it, I’m too old for this shit.

[quote]laroyal wrote:

People need to realize that kcals are not always the most important part of the equation, it is nutrients. Consider the TEF (thermic effect of food) …

JMoUCF87 wrote:
Thermodynamics teaches that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it only changes form. Nobody on earth is exempt from this law. The thermic effect of food does not disprove this law, it only means that some of the calories are expended in the process of digestion but the energy is still accounted for. Calories STILL count…

beyond that, when dieting down to single digit levels, a cycical ketogenic diet should be implemented in which regular high carbs refeeds are used to prevent metabolic slowdown.

However, the OP needs not to be concerned with all this until he reaches a significant degree of leanness. Right now he needs to focus on (1) ensuring a sufficent protein intake (1-1.5g per lb.) and creating a energy deficit (through increased training, decreased food intake, or both)
[/quote]

I somehow fail to see how laroyal was “schooled” in this account. The thermic effect of food means that one should not merely consider the listed caloric content of food, but also the source of those calories.

Also, it is interesting that JMoUCF87 proposes carb cycling, that is paying attention not merely to the calories but to the macro sources of those calories.

Take home message: while not all calories are created equal (given that they have different satiating, hormonal and thermic effects), calories do count, so don’t go around eating 10,000g of protein a day.

Calories, however, are not the only thing to adjust and it is often better to focus on your macros (such as 1.5g protein per lb.). Personally, I find it pretty easy to track and consider both.

why is it that some of you seem to believe that because I’m stating that energy intake vs. energy expenditure is the primary determinant of weight loss, I am somehow suggesting that everyone eat a diet entirely of candy and soda?

You are committing a logical fallacy called Straw Man in which you attack an argument I never made. What I am saying that unless your are in an ** NET ENERGY DEFICIT** then you will not lose weight NO MATTER HOW CLEAN YOUR DIET OR HOW ADVANCED YOUR TRAINING PROGRAM.

Once one is SURE they are in a caloric deficit, THEN they can play around with various macros / food choices that will help ensure things like muscle retention ( which I already covered when I said he should be getting enough protein) and overall health (by way of making sure to eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies)

However, even while eating the cleanest of clean diets (however you want to define “clean” as it is entirely subjective anyway) if you are not expending more energy than you are taking in (meaning after things like TEF, NEAT, adaptive thermogenisis etc. have all been factored for)you will not lose weight. period.

for further reading I suggest everyone go here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/Articles/calorieacalorie.html

and here: The Hierarchy of Fat Loss

^^pay VERY close attention to numbers 1 and 2

and here: http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7697

and remember Ocam’s razor: “The simplest answer is usually the correct answer.”