T Nation

Low Carb Diet...Not Losing Weight

I currently weigh 220, I’m 5’11 and something like 25%bf or so. I train 4 times a week using the “Destroying Fat” workout. Can you think of anything else I could improve on?
I’m been on this for like a week and a half and only lost 2 lbs. That doesnt seem right does it?

BTW: I didnt used my current bw for the calculations. I used at weight of 175. I plan to cut down to 170. I dont see why I would eat more if I have like 40lbs of fat, being the protein would depend on LBM not the fat.
Thanks.

P.S. What do you think if for my off days (3 days of the week) lower my calories to 2000 or so, protein to 200 and fat to 90 grams?

Breakfast-
3 whole eggs
1 scoop whey
1/2 tbsp coconut oil

Morning Snack-
1/2 cup almonds

Lunch-
Salad with turkey slices

Midday-
1 can tuna
1 tbsp EVOO
Salad greens

2 tbsp EVOO shot

Lateday-
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
5 celery sticks
ABB protein shake

Dinner-
Fish, chicken, steak
Greens

Fish oil-
13g’s

Calories- 2595
Protein- 264
Carbs- 36
Fat- 115

2lbs. per week is great progress on a diet like this. Much more than that and you’re going to start losing some muscle i think. if you’re desperate for fast results, go with the Velocity Diet. Can’t argue with those results.

Yo Moofs,

What do your lactact circuits look like?

GJ

[quote]mikepop878 wrote:
2lbs. per week is great progress on a diet like this. Much more than that and you’re going to start losing some muscle i think. if you’re desperate for fast results, go with the Velocity Diet. Can’t argue with those results. [/quote]

cant afford that diet.

I just wasnt sure since being I am at a higher bf I thought the weight was suppose to come off faster at first, along with weight loss from water.
First time I did a low carb diet I lost like 15 lbs in a month but I don’t want compare to that rly since I was eating like 1500 calories a day.
Thanks

Do you have scheduled carb-ups? Dirty of clean? How many grams of carbohydrates/how many calories? How often?

[quote]Gymjunkie wrote:
Yo Moofs,

What do your lactact circuits look like?

GJ[/quote]

actually, thats the part I adjusted. I read coach Tibs say that his new metabolic workouts that are full body (article from like 3 weeks ago) are much more effective. So I just replaced the circuits with those workouts. Everything else is the same though, still do cardio after and all.

Whatever you do, DONT panic and drop calories or anything too fast. Dont risk losing muscle bro.

GJ

[quote]moofs wrote:
I currently weigh 220, I’m 5’11 and something like 25%bf or so. I train 4 times a week using the “Destroying Fat” workout. Can you think of anything else I could improve on?
I’m been on this for like a week and a half and only lost 2 lbs. That doesnt seem right does it?
btw: I didnt used my current bw for the calculations. I used at weight of 175. I plan to cut down to 170. I dont see why I would eat more if I have like 40lbs of fat, being the protein would depend on LBM not the fat.
Thanks.

P.S. What do you think if for my off days (3 days of the week) lower my calories to 2000 or so, protein to 200 and fat to 90 grams?

Breakfast-
3 whole eggs
1 scoop whey
1/2 tbsp coconut oil

Morning Snack-
1/2 cup almonds

Lunch-
Salad with turkey slices

Midday-
1 can tuna
1 tbsp EVOO
Salad greens

2 tbsp EVOO shot

Lateday-
5 celery sticks
ABB protein shake

Dinner-
Fish, chicken, steak
Greens

Fish oil-
13g’s

Calories- 2595
Protein- 264
Carbs- 36
Fat- 115[/quote]

Simple fix:

1.) SHakes are insulinagenic (they create an insulin response wether they have carbs or not…EAT your protein).
2.) You are NOT taking in NERALY enough protein 2.0grams/lb bodyweight (EATEN)
3.) Take Carnitine to help your body use the fish oil and raise your fish oil to 25grams (1gram/lb bf%)
4.) LEAN PROTEIN WITH EVERY MEAL
5.) Check your stomach acid levels

Just start with that and a good Iron free multi-vitamin (I recommend Poliquin’s) and you will be amazed at how much progress you will make. I am 100% sure!

Yeah bro, your diet looks sound, and 2 lbs a week is great progress (any more and you’d be dropping LBM) Stay at this for a couple more weeks, then pull back the cals A LITTLE bit.

S

[quote]laroyal wrote:

1.) SHakes are insulinagenic (they create an insulin response wether they have carbs or not…EAT your protein).

[/quote]

REALLY?! I mean, I know that all food has some effect on the body’s processes, and eating food will have more of a thermic effect, but this is the first time I’ve heard this. Can you explain a little more?

S

[quote]laroyal wrote:
moofs wrote:
btw: I didnt used my current bw for the calculations. I used at weight of 175. I plan to cut down to 170. I dont see why I would eat more if I have like 40lbs of fat, being the protein would depend on LBM not the fat.
Thanks.

Breakfast-
3 whole eggs
1 scoop whey
1/2 tbsp coconut oil

Morning Snack-
1/2 cup almonds

Lunch-
Salad with turkey slices

Midday-
1 can tuna
1 tbsp EVOO
Salad greens

2 tbsp EVOO shot

Lateday-
5 celery sticks
ABB protein shake

Dinner-
Fish, chicken, steak
Greens

Fish oil-
13g’s

Calories- 2595
Protein- 264
Carbs- 36
Fat- 115

Simple fix:

3.) Take Carnitine to help your body use the fish oil and raise your fish oil to 25grams (1gram/lb bf%)

Just start with that and a good Iron free multi-vitamin (I recommend Poliquin’s) and you will be amazed at how much progress you will make. I am 100% sure!
[/quote]

well I’m taking in 1.5 grams with the weight of 175. I know Poliquin says to take in 2 grams per lb but he also says right after “if your lean enough”. Coach Thibs says 1.4-1.6 in the article so I used 1.5

I need the shakes b/c of high school its hard to fit these meals in.

As for the stomach acid. I’m using poliquins HCL 3.0 and also take a tbsp of apple cider vinegar a day.

As for fishoil, cant rly afford more either.

Idk what I should do, I was looking over the diet and made adjustments and re check macros. The nuts kinda changed it around. I add some extra calories in the last meal and I sorta lowered the amount of nuts I ate.
My new macros would be…

Calories- 2285
Protein- 254
Carbs- 36
Fats- 112

Does anyone think I should use the diet I just posted above? Or weight till I truly stall?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
laroyal wrote:

REALLY?! I mean, I know that all food has some effect on the body’s processes, and eating food will have more of a thermic effect, but this is the first time I’ve heard this. Can you explain a little more?

S

[/quote]

yea, not trashing you since this would be some good info to know and I think I heard something like this before but wouldn’t this rly mess with the Velocity Diet?

[quote]moofs wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
laroyal wrote:

yea, not trashing you since this would be some good info to know and I think I heard something like this before but wouldn’t this rly mess with the velocity diet?[/quote]

My slightly educated guess says that it doesn’t matter during the V-Diet because of the extremely low carb/calorie consumption.

Meal replacement shakes and bars will elevate blood sugar levels which initiates a fat storage process that you must avoid. furthermore bars especially are loaded with trans fats and artificial sweeteners instead of sugars and dietary fats. these artificial ingredient substitutions are harder for the body to burn as fuel resulting in increased rates of fat storage. Stick to the real thing- real food!

With protein shakes often the imbalance of vitamins and minerals compound this problem plus there is no fat or fiber to slow the digestive rate. For convienience if I am traveling I would use them but from the description the OP gave and his dilema this is clearly the issue (or a big one)

If you HAVE to use a shake I would use 1-2 scoops of Metabolic Drive 1/2 bag frozen organic spinach, 1 whole omega 3 egg (run under warm tap water for 5-10 seconds to break ativan bonds) 1/2 serving of frozen organic blueberries 1Tgreek yogurt. That would at least be better (and you don’t taste the spinach:-)

[quote]moofs wrote:
laroyal wrote:
moofs wrote:
Thanks.

Breakfast-
3 whole eggs
1 scoop whey
1/2 tbsp coconut oil

Morning Snack-
1/2 cup almonds

Lunch-
Salad with turkey slices

Midday-
1 can tuna
1 tbsp EVOO
Salad greens

2 tbsp EVOO shot

Lateday-
5 celery sticks
ABB protein shake

Dinner-
Fish, chicken, steak
Greens

Fish oil-
13g’s

Calories- 2595
Protein- 264
Carbs- 36
Fat- 115

Simple fix:

well I’m taking in 1.5 grams with the weight of 175. I know poliquin says to take in 2 grams per lb but he also says right after “if your lean enough”. Coach Tibs says 1.4-1.6 in the article so I used 1.5

I need the shakes b/c of high school its hard to fit these meals in.

As for the stomach acid. I’m using poliquins HCL 3.0 and also take a tbsp of apple cider vinegar a day.

As for fishoil, cant rly afford more either.

Idk what I should do, I was looking over the diet and made adjustments and re check macros. The nuts kinda changed it around. I add some extra calories in the last meal and I sorta lowered the amount of nuts I ate.
My new macros would be…
Calories- 2285
Protein- 254
Carbs- 36
Fats- 112

Does anyone think I should use the diet I just posted above? Or weight till I truly stall?
[/quote]

The dose of Fish oil one should consume is 1 gram per percent of bodyfat (Directly from Charles himself). Good choice with the 3.0 it is a terrefic product. With the V- Diet (and I have all the respect for Shug in the world) I like that it is convienient and easy for people to follow but if you want to really make progress and hold onto your hard earned muscle EAT your kcals.

Get your 2.0 grams/lbbw in protein, then et nuts and veggies to fill you up with your meals.

well this kinda changed around. I kinda figured out the problems. I had the calories wrong on the final meal. I usually have chicken so I used that. Plus, in the start of the diet I had a PB and J sammich for lunch with the salad on BREAD for the first few days. So thats out.

I also took the cheese out since I wanna avoid dairy while I’m at it. Plus its impossible to find proper macros for nuts but I found a pretty reliable sorce.

So as they are…
calories/2385
Protein/254
Carbs/36
Fat/112

Do you guys have any ideas on how I can improve on this and add some more protein? I don’t wanna add anymore shakes. Plus, what do you think of the calorie drop on off days?

Thanks

personally I would bump up your protein, get rid of the whey except PWO. and bring your fats down to around 80 grams a day, third mono, poly and sat.

every fourth or fith day, carb up after a workout with two to three P and carb meals! for your metabolism.

im counting your protein at maybe 180 grams a day on your above diet.

i doubt your turkey slices give you much protein.
mix your whey with eggwhite for a slower response!

bump protien to 250 grams !

[quote]MISCONCEPTION wrote:
im counting your protein at maybe 180 grams a day on your above diet.

i doubt your turkey slices give you much protein.
mix your whey with eggwhite for a slower response!

bump protien to 250 grams ![/quote]

250 is what I’m at, I got all my macros from the lables and I follow the servings exactly. The turkey slices only count for 10 grams of protein in my diet. I guess thats the area I could improve on.

I really wouldn’t eat any just FAT meals either,
I find If I go to high on fat my body just burns that.

Here is a sample diet I do very well with when cutting.

20 g BCAA, glutamine, creatine, 2HRX
TRAIN.

AMINOS at each meal. as well!

breakfast
steak, eggs , grapefruit,

whey, egg white combo shake with flax and strawberries.

12oz chicken , salad, huge, apple vinegar olive oil dressing.

1 can tuna 1 egg 2 whites.

salmon, and spinach.

if hungry eggwhite omelet late night snack with bellpepper.
1 scoop of perfect food.

every fith day
add Surge, then chicken and rice! PWO, possibly a third carb meal if your depleted and leaning out.