T Nation

Low Carb Diet Help

I have been dieting since January and have been pretty strict on my nutrition. I am down 80 pounds now and have increased some muscle size and strength. Lately I have noticed that the day after an intense heavy workout I feel like a bag of crap with no energy, almost like I could fall asleep at any moment. I figure it is because my body is using up resources to repair the muscle tissue but the glycogen is in short supply. What kind of carbs should I eat on these non-workout days to keep a good anabolic environment? My diet usually goes as follows;

6am 4 egg omlette with cheddar cheese sprinkled in
9am chicken breast or 2 cans tuna or 250 ml low fat yogurt with 2 scoops of EAS 100% Whey Protein mixed in
12pm whole food like either chicken breast, 2 cans of tuna, lean sirloin, or lean ground beef
3pm 2 scoop protein shake and creatine with skim milk (EAS 100% Whey Protein), non workout days - 6pm dinner of steak, ground beef, chicken breast, salmon or trout with broccoli or spinach or asparagus. workout days - 1 scoop maltodextron with water and creatine to drink during workout, then 2 scoop protein shake post workout, then same whole food dinner as above about 45 minutes after workout.

Workout days are Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

I drink about 4 - 5 litres of water per day and take a multivitamin every day (Allmax Vitastack). I also cycle an eca stack 2 times per day 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

I am thinking maybe oatmeal for breakfast every day and cut the eggs down to 2 yolkes and 4 whites to go with it and maybe some brown rice with lunch and an apple with the 9am meal. Please let me know what you think I should do.

Thank you.

There's your problem, you have hardly any carbs in your diet..add some oats

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to add too many carbs at once. I started at 376lbs and am now at 296. I was planning on adding the carbs at around 300lbs. That's why I added the yogurt.

That's great progress but your body needs carbs to fuel your workouts and overall energy..If you only ate .5 grams of carbs per lb you would only be at around 150grams a day, and that is a good amount, especially trying to lose fat/weight.

I would only eat your carbs at breakfast/preworkout/post workout and try to spread your meals and calories in 6-7 equal small meals a day, makes life a lot easier when you have your diet set bro

I have done this before, and I appreciate the advice. I always found that I go keto for a bit and cycle carbs in the back end. Once metabolism is up and I am coasting I add carbs to get about 200-300 per day but all clean carbs. I just don't want to add too much too quick so I am thinking about adding 50 grams a week for the next 3 weeks then do a week of keto again. Then cycle back in the carbs and get them back up. I found before that oatmeral in the morning didn't give me much energy. That's why I thought about the apple, good for polyphenols and stuff.

RB

sweet potatoes, oranges, grapefruit, beans, grapes, etc....and congratulations on losing the weight