T Nation

Low Carb Diet Carbs/Calories?

I’m currently following Thib’s low carb diet to get to 10% or lower.

I have lost about 11lbs in the last 6 weeks. I have however, noticed that my fat loss is slowing down.

I was taking in exactly 2000 calories a day.

What should I lower it to? Or should I just keep it at 2K and add a morning cardio session 30 mins or so?

Also for morning cardio what should I eat before or after if I plan on working out later in the day.

This is all on low carb less than 50 grams a day.

These love handles and belly flab is seriously pissing me off. I theorically have 4 weeks left of dieting, but I won’t be under 10% at this rate.

Have you had a carb-up/cheat day? This usually kick-starts fat loss again. Just make sure you don’t go too crazy and do not do this often.

If it were me, I would probably add a bit of slow cardio instead of lowering calories–just because I like food and I don’t mind extra exercise. Treat your post-cardio nutrition the same as you would post-workout. Pre-workout is where things get iffy. You can try some aminos or even a little bit of fat before cardio and then eventually drop it and go fasted before cardio to speed up fat loss when it slows down again.

Are you actually cycling, or keeping carbs < 50 g/day continuously ?

Coffee and cream before low-intensity morning cardio.

Normal diet meal after morning cardio.

And patience. Fat loss WILL slow down.

Also, if you haven’t tried Thib’s Destroying Fat workout, give it a try.

I am not cycling. Keeping <50 carbs a day.

I’ve been at it for 7 weeks and so far have lost 15lbs.

My arms are still basically the same size, and the gut is gone. However, I still have love handle and fat or skin on the lower stomach.

I am lowering the calories further and doing Thib’s Regressive Ketogenic diet, for the next 3 weeks.

We’ll see how it goes.

If you’ve only been at it 7 weeks then you’ve likely hit a dry spot, it happens, keep doing what you’re doing and wait, results will come. If after a few weeks of nothing try the carb up day, that helped me over a few hills during my fat loss.