T Nation

Low Carb/Carb Backloading Question

I was doing the prep phase for carb backloading and decided to do it for just 7 days because I did a couple hard workouts during the 7 days to decrease the prep phase time. However, I felt like I wanted to reintroduce carbs again to see what would happen. After I did that a few days ago, it has only been a negative experience. I have felt extremely tired, irritable, and have had slight headaches. Last night, I had my 5th meal with carbs and then fell asleep, but I woke up at 3 in the morning and could not get back to sleep for 3 hours.

I’m not sure what this all means. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms with carbs? Should I just get back to the backloading?

[quote]bosoxschillfan38 wrote:
I was doing the prep phase for carb backloading and decided to do it for just 7 days because I did a couple hard workouts during the 7 days to decrease the prep phase time. However, I felt like I wanted to reintroduce carbs again to see what would happen. After I did that a few days ago, it has only been a negative experience. I have felt extremely tired, irritable, and have had slight headaches. Last night, I had my 5th meal with carbs and then fell asleep, but I woke up at 3 in the morning and could not get back to sleep for 3 hours.

I’m not sure what this all means. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms with carbs? Should I just get back to the backloading?[/quote]
I would take a hard look at the amount of time you are training vs resting and how that has changed. Look at the intensity level of your workouts. Look at the amount of caffeine you are taking. Look at the stress level of your work. Look at the total caloric intake of your food and see if that has changed.

My opinion would be that the human body is very resilient. You didn’t break anything in 7 days and maybe focusing on the ratios of macro-nutrients too closely. Chances are that you are missing a larger issue, forest for the trees scenario. It maybe something as simple as pre-flu/cold and your body is shutting you down earlier in the evenings because it needs the energy to fight the invaders.

Try not to over think it and pick the diet and training that works best for your goals and life style.