T Nation

Low calorie soda

I seen some people had the carb/cal numbers on diet coke and was wondering if anyone had the info on diet Mountain Dew and diet Mug root beer?

I know they can get away with listing 0 cals if it’s under a certain amount ( I thought it was like 20 or something but I could be wrong) and if there is 2.5 servings per bottle and I have 5 a day it could really add up! On the Mountain Dew, concentrated orange juice is the second ingredient listed so I know it cant be calorie free…

Anyone???

The last time I looked up the FDA rules was about 6 years ago, so things may have changed…but a product can only legally say it has ‘0’ of a particular macronutrient if there is under a gram…I think the rules are 0.7 or fewer. So that’s why some of the ‘No Fat!’ sprays make their claim legally, despite having oil as an ingredient – a ‘serving’ may have less than 0.7 grams of fat, so the 0-fat label sticks.

So, again the rules may have changed, it’s probably safe to assume that there is no more than 1 gram of carbs per serving. Of course, that’s assuming they’re being honest and aren’t just bribing their local FDA inspector.

Not to be a dick. DRINK WATER. It is not that hard once you stop drinking soft drinks for a while. If you really need encouragement, I’ll stop drinking wine if you stop drinking soda(okay, i’ll stop taking shots and snorting lines of coke).

nuevo, thanks for the info.

Horace, for the most part I only have 1 or 2 pops a day however I am on a low cal/carb diet and it’s the only way I can stick to it.