T Nation

Low Cal, High Fiber List of Veggies

::Title Adjusted to be politically correct::

Since this question has been asked HUNDREDS of times on the boards and to the authors, I thought I would put up a list of fibrous veggies which would be counted as "free" foods.

There may be some on the list that people will argue with but this should give people a general idea of what is ok.

Anyway, here's the list:
Alfalfa Sprouts
Artichoke Hearts
Arugula
Asparagus
Bamboo Shoots
Bean Sprouts
Beet Greens
Bock Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Celery Root
Chard
Chicory
Chives
Collard Greens
Cucumber
Dandelion Greens
Eggplant
Endive
Escarole
Fennel
Green Beans
Hearts of Palm
Jicama
Kale
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Lettuce
Mache
Millie lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Onion
Parsley
Peppers
Radicchio
Radishes
Rhubard
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Snow Pea Pods
Sorrel
Spinach
String beans
Summer Squash
Tomato
Water Chestnuts
wax beans
Zucchini

-I did research and didn't see anything posted similar to this so I hope this helps.

Feel free to add od the list as I am sure I have not come up with EVERY possible veggie.

Ways to Rip Off the Fat and Become Leaner

that helps heaps
thanks

Thanks for the list! This will help the AD people.

Jalapenos – One of my favorites.

I like the list!

but be careful with
jicama
eggplant
water chestnuts

I’m glad people are finding this useful!

How about broccoli rabe and pumpkin. Could garlic be included as well ?

Now thats awesome. Thanks you, CrewPierce.

[quote]butcherman7 wrote:
How about broccoli rabe and pumpkin. Could garlic be included as well ?[/quote]

herbs are a free food

broccoli rabe, broccolini, brocoflower, all those are free foods

Pumpkin is good for low calorie, but it does have carbs with minimal fiber. I wouldn’t go hog wild on pumpkin but it is great if you spread it think on a cookie sheet, salt and spray with a little olive oil and roast in the oven.

YOU.ARE.AWESOME.

book marked thank you

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
butcherman7 wrote:

Pumpkin is good for low calorie, but it does have carbs with minimal fiber. I wouldn’t go hog wild on pumpkin but it is great if you spread it think on a cookie sheet, salt and spray with a little olive oil and roast in the oven.

[/quote]

I bought canned pumpkin today.On the label…9 carbs 4 fiber per serving.Thats not a bad carb to fiber ratio to me.
Libbys canned pumpkim from walmart.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are “free” veggies?

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what are “free” veggies?[/quote]

They don’t count against your carbs on a carb restricted diet. Basically it is a food that you can eat all you want.

[quote]grnhd wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
butcherman7 wrote:

I bought canned pumpkin today.On the label…9 carbs 4 fiber per serving.Thats not a bad carb to fiber ratio to me.
[/quote]

With pumpkin I have seen everything from what you listed to some saying 1 cup of raw pumpkin having 12 grams of carbs with only 2 being from fiber. So I left it off the list due to the wide range of nutritional information I’ve found on it.

I should also add:
Avocado

Sorry for leaving it off! It is low carb, high fiber and good fats. It deserves to be on the list lol.

what about fruit and berries while on a low carb diet?

[quote]jeffmyers4 wrote:
what about fruit and berries while on a low carb diet?[/quote]

Those would not be free foods. You would have to watch those and make sure you are counting those towards your carbs for the day.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I like the list!

but be careful with
jicama
eggplant
water chestnuts
[/quote]

why?

[quote]grnhd wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
butcherman7 wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks!!!

I went and checked mine and I had unfortunately purchased the pie filling which is not the same at all.