T Nation

Low Body Fat, But No 6 Pack

I have a low body fat percentage and i’ve been lifting for awhile now i only weight about 135lbs because im a wrestler and im pretty strong for my weight but i have no 6 pack. I’m also looking to bulk and build muscle please help!!! any suggestions are good enough.

[quote]jimmerson wrote:
I have a low body fat percentage and i’ve been lifting for awhile now i only weight about 135lbs because im a wrestler and im pretty strong for my weight but i have no 6 pack. I’m also looking to bulk and build muscle please help!!! any suggestions are good enough.[/quote]

pics? how do you know you have a low body fat percentage? bulk up get some muscle on those abs and then cut

I’ll post pics later on. I’m currently on a diet and im not sure whether to bulk or cut im confused on what to do.

Breakfast(8:00 am)- 2 eggs,4 scoops cytogainer, tbsp peanutbutter
Preworkout(9:00am)- N.O xplode
10:30AM(post workout)- 2 4 oz pieces of chicken, stringbeans
12:30pm- Can of tuna, stringbeans
2:30pm- 2 4 oz pieces of chicken, broccoli
5:00pm- 9 baby carrots and cup of cantalope
7:00pm- Can of tuna, broccoli
Before bed- Cellmass

Never say cut at your weight,your diet is clean but to put more meat on them bones you need more calories, to make it simple, double everything you’re eating right now for at least a year, lift heavy, get plenty of sleep (min 8 hours a night).

Well, if you’re 135 lbs… depending on how old and how tall you are… you’re probably not carrying enough muscle mass to have a six pack, even though you’re not carrying a lot of fat either.

I’m guessing you’re young. This should be a good time to gain muscle mass, because your hormones are the best they’ll ever be.

Your diet is pretty decent (I’m eyeballing about 180g protein and about 1000 calories). Decent as in it’s all clean, and you’re getting enough protein.

First thing to do is head back to the beginner forum page. Read VROOM’s thread ‘Are You A Beginner II’. The other stickies (top four threads) are also recommended reading. This will answer a number of your questions on dieting and exercises before you even knew you had them.

Adding mass is a pretty simple concept, actually. Focus on big lifts, get stronger in them, and eat more than you need. If you’re eating more than you need, your body has extra energy to add muscle to your frame.

You’ll know it’s adding muscle because your lifts and your weight will be going up (it’s a good idea to keep a record of your lift #'s and your weight, so you can record and track your progress).

Some basic recommendations: One of the more shamelessly self-promoting posters on the beginner’s forum put together a thread called ‘Starting Strength: The Guide’. Go to that thread and do that program. It will increase your strength, mass, and athletic ability.

Then, put together a diet with ~ 2700 kcal and 270g protein. Eat it consistently.

Measure your progress. Adjust accordingly.

But don’t forget to read those stickies, because they’ll help fill in the blank spaces in your knowledge so that soon, you can begin to answer your own questions.

Abs require muscle. 135lbs…like Otep said…[quote] depending on how old and how tall you are… you’re probably not carrying enough muscle mass to have a six pack [/quote]

If your wrestling; your probably burning a ton of calories. So eat a shitload of good clean foods.

choose a 6 pack as a goal or bulking/gaining muscle as a goal, not both

if the goal is the latter then

• double everything you eat
  • more fats
  • lots if fish oil
  • double quantity of all whole foods you eat now
  • RED MEAT

Do you KNOW your bodyfat% is low or are you just speculating because you look lanky?

Get some calipers or something, I imagine you may be skinny-fat.

You should bulk regardless.

What’s most important to you?

Wrestling?

Bulking?

A six-pack?

Hard to give proper advice without knowing your goals.

I agree with Otep. Do the Starting Strength program ASAP! Eat more than you’re eating now. Do heavy weighted situps. You will get your six-pack and more. You just have to go from 135 to at least 180 and that requires more food than you’re eating now. Trust me.

My current workout now is a 3 day split. Monday Wednesday Friday:

Workout A:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Inverted rows 3x failure
Pushups 3x failure
Reverse crunch 3x12

Workout B:
Squat 5x5
overhead press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Pullups/chinups 3x failure
Prone bridges 3x 30 sec

stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program

Good choice with stronglifts, now just make sure you’re eating enough to grow.

Some help on Improved diet?

Breakfast- 2 eggs, 4 scoops cytogainer, 2 tbsp peanutbutter
Preworkout- N.o. Xplode
10;30am- 3 pieces of chicken, broccoli
12;30pm- 2 cans of tuna, broccoli
2;30pm- 3 pieces of chicken, broccoli
5;00- ? (open for suggestions)

7;00pm- ? (open for suggestions)

Do i have to take cellmass or cytogainer or even protein before i go to bed?

[quote]jimmerson wrote:
Some help on Improved diet?

Breakfast- 2 eggs, 4 scoops cytogainer, 2 tbsp peanutbutter
Preworkout- N.o. Xplode
10;30am- 3 pieces of chicken, broccoli
12;30pm- 2 cans of tuna, broccoli
2;30pm- 3 pieces of chicken, broccoli
5;00- ? (open for suggestions)

7;00pm- ? (open for suggestions)

Do i have to take cellmass or cytogainer or even protein before i go to bed?
[/quote]

What do you want to do?? Build muscle, or lose fat. Cause at 135lbs there ain’t much point in cutting.
If you’re trying to add mass, i’d add carbs with most of those meals pasta, wholewheat breads, brown rice, potatoes.
Why are you avoiding carbs?

The diet you’re using there is something like i’d use for a fatloss diet.

No you don’t HAVE to take cellmass, or cytogainer. But i’d recommend to you once that tub of cellmass is finished don’t replace it. Instead but a tub of creatine mono, for like a quarter the price.

All in all, multiply the amount of food you’re eating by about 2 or 3.
And don’t be so picky about the exact details of your diet i.e. at 4.26pm i MUST eat such and such meal, etc. Just make sure you get in 6 or 7 solid meals a day, spaced roughly 2-3 hrs apart. Gettin bogged down in the nitty-gritty details will just set you back in my opinion.

Want to eat a lot of good foods? Want to do it right?

Read JB’s article here:

Your welcome.

Should I take cytogainer at 7:00 to replace a meal? or what should i eat i eat chicken and tuna all day something new would be great.

Also what should i eat on off days being that i only lift mon wed fri.

Ok, I’m sorry if you’re being genuine but it seems like you really want to be spoon food information.
It’s as simple as this:
Start eating roughly 2500cals on non-lifting days, and 3000+cals on lifting days(note the word ROUGH, not exact-doesn’t have to be)
If you want to gain, at your weight you can get away with pretty much anything - try 2lbs of mince beef cooked up and served with 4 or 5 large potatoes, turkey burgers, etc.

Don’t stick with tuna and chicken - i know they are cheap but any farmer’s market will stock cheap mince beef which is a great overall food.

[quote]jimmerson wrote:
Also what should i eat on off days being that i only lift mon wed fri.[/quote]

Eat the same food man.

You don’t switch to twinkies and burger king b/c your not lifting.

The only difference in my training/non-training day diets is less carbs on non-training days.

Please, use the search bar in the top right of this site and stop asking questions that 1,000 other new kids have asked before. Thanks.

[quote]jimmerson wrote:
Should I take cytogainer at 7:00 to replace a meal? or what should i eat i eat chicken and tuna all day something new would be great.[/quote]

Man foods:
Eggs
Cheese
Sirloin
Top round
Bottom round
Ground beef
Ground chuck
Salmon
Shrimp
Tilapia
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pussy
Peanuts
Peanut Butter
Almonds (and other nuts and nut-butters, etc)
Flax meal
Avocados
Beans (Fiber is most underrated nutritional element, IMO)
Cottage Cheese (full fat, large curd- don’t mess around with lesser cottage cheeses)
Chicken
Tuna

Vegetables are also highly recommended- broccoli and cauliflower are my top faves, along with spinach (all have wonderful health elements to them) and tomatoes (because they taste good).

Fruits are also recommended, but remember- you are what you eat.

hopefully this will help.