Low Bar vs High Bar Squat

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Shit, I just saw he’s got a 3x BW deadlift. He sure as shit must be doing something right. Lol. Nice work on the meet, SirTroyRobert. [/quote]
Thank you very much, I like to think it wasn’t too shabby for my first one ever lol

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]SirTroyRobert wrote:

how can you tell my quads arent strong?[/quote]

Because your are squatting what you are squatting. If you meant relatively speaking, then I refer you to the poster above me.[/quote]

I thought that was what you meant

I feel you are pushing “your stuff” way too much. Give it a break once in a while, will ya? Whatever “works” for you is fine and all, but don’t play daft and dismiss what the majority of actually accomplished lifters do and have done for ages. [/quote]

I am curious what your intention was by quoting the word “works”. Can you elaborate?

I am all for following success, I just find many people advocate a certain method purely due to convention rather than effectiveness. In this instance, I do not personally feel that the TC needs to squat deeper to achieve his goals, and was curious why the advice was given.

I think my quads are very strong. Will I build muscle imbalances if I switch to lowbar completely?[/quote]

(1) Your forms looks fine.
(2) Your quads are not very strong.
(3) Raw “Low-bar” squatting will ALWAYS involve quads heavily. People saying otherwise are ignorant.[/quote]
how can you tell my quads arent strong?[/quote]

Because you are only squatting 245. That means none of your lower body muscles are that strong.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

I feel you are pushing “your stuff” way too much. Give it a break once in a while, will ya? Whatever “works” for you is fine and all, but don’t play daft and dismiss what the majority of actually accomplished lifters do and have done for ages. [/quote]

I am curious what your intention was by quoting the word “works”. Can you elaborate?

I am all for following success, I just find many people advocate a certain method purely due to convention rather than effectiveness. In this instance, I do not personally feel that the TC needs to squat deeper to achieve his goals, and was curious why the advice was given.[/quote]

Mr. Punisher,

While I am an admittedly shitty lifter, I can say with some certainty that squatting to depth is a good idea in the sense that it builds the confidence, muscle memory and strength necessary for competing. With this in mind, your technique Mr. Punisher, obviously works for you, however the OP states that he just switched to low bar style and while his question was not about depth he mentioned that he thought he was hitting it and did not imply that he was deliberately going high to build size/strength.

Sir Troy Robert,

You’re still a young guy, there is no reason to NOT do front squats if you feel you can work them comfortably into your routine, they certainly will not make you weaker. To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever complained about being to well balanced or having too much strength. Also I just watched your videos, awesome work at the meet. You are going to be a fucking beast when you’re older, keep it up.

[quote]BrianHanson wrote:
Mr. Punisher,

While I am an admittedly shitty lifter, I can say with some certainty that squatting to depth is a good idea in the sense that it builds the confidence, muscle memory and strength necessary for competing. With this in mind, your technique Mr. Punisher, obviously works for you, however the OP states that he just switched to low bar style and while his question was not about depth he mentioned that he thought he was hitting it and did not imply that he was deliberately going high to build size/strength.

[/quote]

I definitely agree with you that squatting to depth builds the qualities you mentioned. However, I am also of the belief that squatting to depth every time you train the squat is not the only way to build those qualities, and instead contend that in some instances, a trainee is practicing their squat in order to make their squat better, and in other instances a trainee is training their squat in order to make it stronger. I feel that in the case of the former, precision is key, whereas in the case of the latter, results triumph over all.

I can however appreciate the fact you pointed out that the TC mentioned he felt he was hitting depth. When I read his post, I saw him fixated so much on strength building (specifically in reference to his quads and hamstrings) that I felt his goals were more strength oriented. Further seeing the statement that strength and leg development would be better with full depth squats continued the dialogue I imagine.

I appreciate your response.

Don’t squat low bar. Keep squatting high bar like you’ve been doing. When you can squat 400 something high bar; then switch to low bar if you want to do a meet or whatever and knock out 500. I wish I’d done that. Eric Lilliebridge pretty much did that, except replace 400 something with 900 and 500 with 950+.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Don’t squat low bar. Keep squatting high bar like you’ve been doing. When you can squat 400 something high bar; then switch to low bar if you want to do a meet or whatever and knock out 500. I wish I’d done that. Eric Lilliebridge pretty much did that, except replace 400 something with 900 and 500 with 950+.[/quote]

Caveat: if your DL is strong and you can achieve form with high bar.

Squatting high bar all the time gave me a round ass and some big quads, but left my posterior chain in the dust (I did not squat low bar once for three years).

But OP apparently has a 3x DL so why not! Or hell do one session a week of higher reps and medium intensity with high bar and a lower rep session with more weight with low bar…

[quote]csulli wrote:
Don’t squat low bar. Keep squatting high bar like you’ve been doing. When you can squat 400 something high bar; then switch to low bar if you want to do a meet or whatever and knock out 500. I wish I’d done that. Eric Lilliebridge pretty much did that, except replace 400 something with 900 and 500 with 950+.[/quote]

Going into competition having not done low bar consistently scares me. If I’m going to do something in competition I’d want quite a few weeks of practice just to be comfortable. But that’s just me.

[quote]csulli wrote:

Going into competition having not done low bar consistently scares me. If I’m going to do something in competition I’d want quite a few weeks of practice just to be comfortable. But that’s just me.[/quote]
Well I’m not saying don’t do that, but when your meet’s done, I’d definitely go back to high bar for training.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Well I’m not saying don’t do that, but when your meet’s done, I’d definitely go back to high bar for training.[/quote]
Yeppers

I am all for following success, I just find many people advocate a certain method purely due to convention rather than effectiveness. In this instance, I do not personally feel that the TC needs to squat deeper to achieve his goals, and was curious why the advice was given.[/quote]

(1) Don’t play stupid again, you know exactly what I meant by that.
(2) Yeah, but there are almost no highly successful lifters that INTENTIONALLY cut their depth to “build” their squat. If they squat high in training they don’t really do it on purpose, like the OP. And don’t you dare refer to multiply lifters.

What is Low Bar? What is paralell. What is multipli’s?

(1) Don’t play stupid again, you know exactly what I meant by that.
(2) Yeah, but there are almost no highly successful lifters that INTENTIONALLY cut their depth to “build” their squat. If they squat high in training they don’t really do it on purpose, like the OP. And don’t you dare refer to multiply lifters.[/quote]

No honestly, I don’t know what you mean by it, hence why I asked. I have two thoughts, one is that you are implying that it’s not actually working for me, and the other is that you are implying that I’m not actually doing what I say I am doing.

I am not playing dumb, I am simply asking for direct language here if we are to communicate. Surely you can afford me that courtesy, no?