Low Bar Squat Wrist Mobility

When i low bar squat, i can’t get my wrists straight. I think it’s a mobility issue, what should i do to fix this? I think tight front delts may be the issue

I’m curious, do you need your wrists to be straight? I’ve never had that before, and have used the low bar squat for years.

Its mostly more to do with forearm tightness.

Try thumb over the bar grip.

I agree with Punisher here, why do you need to have your wrists straight? I low bar squat and it hadn’t even occurred to me that I should try to get my wrists straight cos that’s just not what they want to do/can do when I get in position?

try going thumbless grip or a little wider

Yes, as far as i know, wrists should be straight, or you should use wrist wraps. Thumbless doesn’t help me, and my gym’s squat rack is piece of shit - i can’t get my feet and hands wider. If i put hands outside the rack, it’s way too wide

[quote]creatinejunkie wrote:
Yes, as far as i know, wrists should be straight, or you should use wrist wraps. Thumbless doesn’t help me, and my gym’s squat rack is piece of shit - i can’t get my feet and hands wider. If i put hands outside the rack, it’s way too wide[/quote]

Why does thumbless not help?

Why do wrists have to be straight?

Remember, the bar is on your back, not in your hands. Your forearms and wrists should not be under that much stress.

try a pinkyless grip. lets your arms get into a more comfortable angle while still letting you get your upper back super tight and arms under the bar. Plus if you have to ditch the weight you only have to worry about getting 3 finger off the bar. I ditched once with a thumbless grip and it took my arm for a ride,not fun. I’m sure it was one of those rare instances but I decided that the thumbless grip wasn’t for me lol.

Yes, as far as i know, wrists should be straight, or you should use wrist wraps. [/quote]

I suppose I shall start working on that.

I also use a thumbless grip for low bar because it feels a lot better on my wrists. Sometimes I’ll place the thumb muscles (aka flexor pollicis brevis) on the bar to keep my wrists straight. For high bar it’s fine. I’m finally learning to utilize my lats while squatting so that could change my grip in the next few weeks.

Unless it’s causing you pain, don’t worry about it.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Unless it’s causing you pain, don’t worry about it.[/quote]

He’s using wrist wraps. And if someone strong is doing something in certain way - doesn’t mean it’s right

[quote]csulli wrote:

He’s using wrist wraps. And if someone strong is doing something in certain way - doesn’t mean it’s right[/quote]

Your right. The world raw record holder in the squat is doing it wrong. Since there is no other alternative, you should probably stop squatting all together.

[quote]csulli wrote:

He’s using wrist wraps. And if someone strong is doing something in certain way - doesn’t mean it’s right[/quote]
It’s not wrong either lol. It doesn’t fucking matter. Ask an Oly lifter (like Lu Xiaojun in this picture here) how much it hurts their squat not having their wrists straight.

Also he doesn’t have wrist wraps lol.

im not sure why you have an infatuation with having your wrists straight, having your arms perfectly underneath the bar isnt going guarantee upperback tightness.

My wrists hurt in the past because I pushed the bar up and placed my wrists under compression which is related to lack of upper back tightness. I wonder if the OP had the same problem.

[quote]csulli wrote:

Unless your forearms are quite abit shorter than your upper arms your wrists are going to have to be bent in order to get your hands in extremely close as say Andrey in that pic. Or mine in this video ( yes I wear wrist wraps and it does help with comfortability)

I dont see what the hell it matters. If the bar is in the correct placement on the upper back, your wrists and elbows are relatively pain free, and your upper back is as tight as possible I do not see what it matters. Your arms may just not be built to keep straight wrists which obviously doesnt really matter. So until you out squat Andrey ( your wrists being straight being one of the main reasons) it is pretty much a stupid arguement. I have noticed you have a history of posts that seem that you are drastically over analyzing stuff. How about you focus on getting stronger.

I have a question related to this, I actually get very slight wrist pain when I start squatting with 90%+. Going wider is easier on the wrists, but I feel like I get more power and back tightness with a closer grip. Sometimes the pain goes down my forearm and along the side of my upper arm. Like a nerve pain/ache. Not severe or moderate, but it’s there.

Also, it has happened twice already that the bar has fell off my back after I got the lift and was racking the bar. I think maybe I just lose back tightness when I rack the bar? Or maybe I should chalk my back? Or does it have to do with my wrists?

Either way, should I be using some sort of wrist wraps? Any suggestions on which are good?

Wrist Wraps help me tremendously. Since bringing in my hand placement they are pretty much a needed thing once the wieght gets heavy. Chalking your back is also never a bad idea. I would need to see a video of you racking and unracking to really say something on the bar falling.