Low Bar Squat, Information Needed

Hello everyone!
Since i started lifting about three years ago I have been high bar squatting. I have been interested in learning how to low bar squat for some time now, I would like to compete next year. I have had a hard time finding good material on the subject, Youtube is hard to sift through and so on.

I am unaware of an actual power lifting gym in my area so any video or articles on the matter would be greatly appreciated! If anyone is aware of power lifting gym in the area(Kingston, Ontario, Canada) to get coached, then please point in me in the direction!

What are your concerns or questions about low bar squatting specifically? Just start by trying a lower bar position and feeling it out for yourself, its not a huge stretch switching from high bar if you have passable form.

My experience when I went from exclusively high bar to using low bar for a meet last year:

It’s going to feel uncomfortable for a couple weeks.

Set the bar on your back tight and when you lift off make sure the weight is set on your back and not your wrists.

“Fall forward” from your hips a little more than you would with the high bar. Feet apart with a little more width.

If your wrists really bother you, use wraps for all sets, but gradually start to take the wraps out of warm ups and lighter sets and reserve them for heavier weights.

If you hit it right the movement should still feel natural, though the wrists and bar placement may take time to get used to. Just because you switch to low bar doesn’t mean you have to do a Stan Efferding super wide glute/ham squat (google if you don’t know).

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
My experience when I went from exclusively high bar to using low bar for a meet last year:

It’s going to feel uncomfortable for a couple weeks.

Set the bar on your back tight and when you lift off make sure the weight is set on your back and not your wrists.

“Fall forward” from your hips a little more than you would with the high bar. Feet apart with a little more width.

If your wrists really bother you, use wraps for all sets, but gradually start to take the wraps out of warm ups and lighter sets and reserve them for heavier weights.

If you hit it right the movement should still feel natural, though the wrists and bar placement may take time to get used to. Just because you switch to low bar doesn’t mean you have to do a Stan Efferding super wide glute/ham squat (google if you don’t know).[/quote]

How did your numbers change (and over what timeframe) from the transition?

My squat was in a slump at the time and I lost my groove for the high bar so it was probably sitting at 155-160kg depending on the day. But with really ugly technique.

Deloaded/started building up weight and volume. The first couple weeks I still did high bar squats just to work on my technique, but light sets of 10 around 100-110kg. Then I would have a heavier day with the low bar, but it started at something like sets of 5 at 115kg and 120kg. Added 5kg every week and added/took off volume depending where I was at. The high bar days eventually become speed/technique days with low bar.

After 8-10 weeks of work hit 140 for 5x5 and then 170 in a meet, after cutting about 4-5kg of weight (actual weight loss, not water weight).

Read Starting Strength. Rip preaches LBBS and does a pretty good job of explaining technique down to the minute detail.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
My squat was in a slump at the time and I lost my groove for the high bar so it was probably sitting at 155-160kg depending on the day. But with really ugly technique.

Deloaded/started building up weight and volume. The first couple weeks I still did high bar squats just to work on my technique, but light sets of 10 around 100-110kg. Then I would have a heavier day with the low bar, but it started at something like sets of 5 at 115kg and 120kg. Added 5kg every week and added/took off volume depending where I was at. The high bar days eventually become speed/technique days with low bar.

After 8-10 weeks of work hit 140 for 5x5 and then 170 in a meet, after cutting about 4-5kg of weight (actual weight loss, not water weight).[/quote]

Thanks. Good job at the meet. What weight class?

[quote]BCpowder wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

After 8-10 weeks of work hit 140 for 5x5 and then 170 in a meet, after cutting about 4-5kg of weight (actual weight loss, not water weight).[/quote]

Thanks. Good job at the meet. What weight class?[/quote]

74kg class, cut too aggressively and weighed in at 71 lol

I low bar squat and I found the most comfortable place for the bar to rest is in the ledge I create with my rear delts.

Hand position wise, I go as wide as the rack allows me to, and I put my little fingers under the bar and then support it with my hands to stop it rolling off. I’ve reached a sweet spot where my hands don’t bear any of the real weight they’re just more of a supporting act.

Putting my little fingers under the bar allows me to keep my wrist and forearms in a straight line, which is good because any other position gave me horrible tendonitis, whereas this position gives me zero issues.