T Nation

Low Back Strain

Jim, I have a strain on the left side of my low back that is preventing me from going too heavy in the squat and deadlift at the moment im only getting required reps that i would usually rep out easily should i drop tm to 80% and do 5's pro? also can feel a few knots where the pain is would you suggest maybe rolling it out with a golf ball?

I assume you had an MRI and there shows no “real” damage - if that’s the case and you are pulling required reps, your back isn’t that bad. Just let it rest, do some movement work that isn’t the squat/deadlift and you’ll be fine.

In general - know the difference between being hurt and injured.

No Mri cos like you said its not that bad as im getting req reps was just after advice and will take that on board thanks jim.

Dealt with issues for 18 years- heat has been very helpful as well as reverse hypers. These two seem to do the trick whenever mine kicks in. With time you learn what you can work through and when you need to back off but you’ve just got to know your body.

Thanks mate

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
I assume you had an MRI and there shows no “real” damage - if that’s the case and you are pulling required reps, your back isn’t that bad. Just let it rest, do some movement work that isn’t the squat/deadlift and you’ll be fine.

In general - know the difference between being hurt and injured.[/quote]
Jim, what would you suggest on squat/deadlift day to let it rest?