T Nation

Low Back Pain

Hey guys,
I get a tweak in my middle to lower back when I do presses sometimes. Im guessing I need to strengthen my core and work on my mobility in my t-spine so my lumbar spine doesnt bend so much. I dont know if this is definitely the problem so I’m looking for some input. I tore up my right shoulder in rugby (SLAP) and had it fixed up.

I think I also tore up my left but havent had it worked on. I tend to lean back a little which is what I think triggers it. It feels like I throw my back out but I feel it the next day or a few hours later. Anyone got any advice or cues to help? Stretches for my tspine or other advice welcome. I know I need to master the weights I’m at so I can avoid overachieving and leaning so I’m really looking for stuff to make my old man back chill for now. Thanks gents

Cheers

Just to clarify, I tend to lean to help push the weight because ofmy newly acquired crappy shoulder strength.

-Cheers

I’m guessing you lean back, arching your back a lot at the end of your sets, like the old time overhead pressers did in order to lift more weight. The snarky answer would be to just keep good form and stop lifting a weight too heavy for you. But a more helpful cue would be to keep your abs tight while pressing, especially at the end of your sets. This will keep your lumbar spine from hyperextending.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
I’m guessing you lean back, arching your back a lot at the end of your sets, like the old time overhead pressers did in order to lift more weight. The snarky answer would be to just keep good form and stop lifting a weight too heavy for you. But a more helpful cue would be to keep your abs tight while pressing, especially at the end of your sets. This will keep your lumbar spine from hyperextending.[/quote]

This, squeeze your abs AND glutes as hard as you can throughout the entire set - this stops anterior pelvic tilt and extended lumbar spine.

alternate beat me to it. FOcus on squeezing the hell out of your glutes and you will avoid anterior pelvic tilt. I started doing it and the difference is night and day. Also yes strengthening your core will help a lot